PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Ruiz bat on eBay

kylehess10
05-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Anybody see this bat? What's with that Rawlings logo ink-transfer on the barrel? That definitely doesn't come from a major league baseball:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220421921474

Lokee
05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
come color ink though

kylehess10
05-29-2009, 11:07 AM
come color ink though

Did you mean same color ink? If so then I actually think it's a shade lighter than on a major league baseball.

stlgroundskeeper
05-29-2009, 11:29 AM
That looks like the same light blue logo off of a Rawlings Official League Ball that you can buy at a local sporting goods store or walmart. It isnt the dark blue that a major league ball has on it. Also it is a circular rawlings logo imprint on the bat which is not on any major or minor league ball. It looks like fake use to me. It would be interesting to see if maybe the Carlos Ruiz marucci that was on ebay a couple months ago is the same as this one with added use.

Andrew

mbrieve
05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
The Rawlings ink trasfer is very fishy...

From the same seller, I can't remember Ivan Rodriguez EVER sporting a tape job like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IVAN-RODRIGUEZ-SIGNED-GAME-USED-BAT-TIGERS-ASRTOS-MLB_W0QQitemZ250430455741QQihZ015QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AWA85
05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
That seller has had a few questionable items in the past. The Griffey jersey he is selling now seems a little odd to me also with the sizing and amount of use on the property tag.

suave1477
05-29-2009, 10:30 PM
I do not work for nor have any financial involvement with this seller but have dealt with him in the past for business purposes.

And I can say i feel comfortable with purchasing products from him.

I myself have questioned an item or 2 of his and have spoke with him about it and he had a beleiveable reason behind them.

I personally do not think he would take an item and add use to it. This is just my opinion.

Again take that with a grain of salt and do your own homework and of course I would suggest contact the seller.

Take for instance the pudge bat. I doubt he would take a Pudge bat that has been MLB Authenticated and add taping to it that would not match Pudges nomral use charecteristics.
Another example is the Sheff bat, the seller himself says it shows light use but he himself considers it to only be issued.

So basically however he acquires the item with whatever story made be told to him or the best assesment he can make and he sells it as such.

Again these are just my opinions!!

suave1477
05-29-2009, 10:40 PM
That seller has had a few questionable items in the past. The Griffey jersey he is selling now seems a little odd to me also with the sizing and amount of use on the property tag.

Actually I just read the description on that.

You can't get any more honest on that auction. So I am not sure what the problem is.

He claims himself several times and in bold he is selling it as Pro cut Game Issued. He is stating that it does show use but he doesn't know enough about the Jerey to call it Game Used.
The size on the Jersey seems fine.
I have seen several Reds Jerseys from Griffey jr. that are 46 and 48
Given of course those are real

sportscentury
05-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Did you mean same color ink?

Geez, I hope that's what he meant.

metsbats
05-29-2009, 11:37 PM
I found a couple of Rawlings practice balls which have the similar "R" in a circle stamping.

metsbats
05-29-2009, 11:52 PM
These practice balls are smaller than the regulation official MLB balls and are design to be used in BP. The theory being that hitting with these slightly smaller practice balls will make it easier to hit the larger MLB baseballs in game situations.

While we all know that official MLB balls are used in BP in major league ball parks, I can't help but wonder if these practice balls are loaded into the pitching machines in the batting cages ?? Perhaps this bat was used in the batting cages if that was the case.

AWA85
05-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Actually I just read the description on that.

You can't get any more honest on that auction. So I am not sure what the problem is.

He claims himself several times and in bold he is selling it as Pro cut Game Issued. He is stating that it does show use but he doesn't know enough about the Jerey to call it Game Used.
The size on the Jersey seems fine.
I have seen several Reds Jerseys from Griffey jr. that are 46 and 48
Given of course those are real

You have a point Suave, just something about an issued jersey with a ton of use has me confused :D .

sportscentury
05-30-2009, 10:38 AM
You have a point Suave, just something about an issued jersey with a ton of use has me confused :D .

Yes, it's very odd. The jersey shows terrific (game?/administered?) wear. So much so that the seller emphasizes that the "jersey shows a ton of use." However, he also emphasizes that he is only selling the jersey as a game issued/pro-cut. That's pretty darn strange.

kingjammy24
05-30-2009, 11:43 AM
i think it's neat to see a griffey jersey without the 2" of extra length that griffey has taken for most of his career.

i also think it's neat to see a reds tag that has "property" misspelled as "proerty". i assume those tags are printed off in batches so there should be many other misspelled 2001 reds tags out there.

rudy.

AWA85
05-30-2009, 11:58 AM
i think it's neat to see a griffey jersey without the 2" of extra length that griffey has taken for most of his career.

i also think it's neat to see a reds tag that has "property" misspelled as "proerty". i assume those tags are printed off in batches so there should be many other misspelled 2001 reds tags out there.

rudy.

I don't think the plus 2" is a complete deal breaker because I have seen many legit jerseys that do not have that, but many are from his early days and than the later ones have either had the plus 2" or gone up to 48 as you would expect with somebody getting a little older.

The property tag issues is a little different though, maybe it was a current employee for the Nationals that used to work for the Reds? :D

kingjammy24
05-30-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't think the plus 2" is a complete deal breaker because I have seen many legit jerseys that do not have that..

how did you know they were legit?

i've seen several griffey jerseys from his mariners days that had no customizations and came with griffey's paperwork. i didn't think they were legit so far as being gamers. i once saw a 1994 shirt that griffey gave to a fellow player. the player personally wrote a letter stating he'd obtained the shirt directly from griffey. the shirt was missing the MLB 125 patch. i believe griffey ordered tons of shirts to sell/give away that he never intended to wear on the field.

anyway, obviously this is a reds shirt, not from his mariners days, and i'd love to see a griffey reds shirt with team provenance without any customizations.

rudy.

kingjammy24
05-30-2009, 12:17 PM
here's a neat one:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=9795

"Letter of authenticity is from Junior himself"

jersey appears to be missing a nameplate. (at least it's got the 2" of extra length, even on a '94 jersey)

honestly, griffey papework doesn't mean much to me. he was the arod of his day; selling anything and everything as "game used".

rudy.

Mr.3000
05-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I found a couple of Rawlings practice balls which have the similar "R" in a circle stamping.

Had the ball, with the rawlings 'R" actually struck the bat....wouldn't the "R" be reversed?

Mr.3000
05-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Thread suddenly got quiet.

cordovacollector
05-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Had the ball, with the rawlings 'R" actually struck the bat....wouldn't the "R" be reversed?

The R on the bat is reversed. Look closer, it is laying face down on its "nose."

Mr.3000
05-30-2009, 07:01 PM
The R on the bat is reversed. Look closer, it is laying face down on its "nose."

You are so correct. Damn optical illussions lol Looking at it at "face value" it appears to be a forward facing R, when in fact it is reversed.

Thanks for pointing it out to me.

cordovacollector
05-30-2009, 07:49 PM
No problem. You had me do a double-take too!

AWA85
05-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Hey Rudy, I shot you an email. Thanks for your time.