PDA

View Full Version : Any winners in the Huggins & Scott, Historic, AMI or Mears Auctions?

Dewey2007
05-29-2009, 01:59 PM
With 4 auctions ending the same day, let's see what folks picked up.

I won a 1991 Harvey Salem Broncos jersey from Mears.

B1SON
05-29-2009, 02:09 PM
With 4 auctions ending the same day, let's see what folks picked up.

I won a 1991 Harvey Salem Broncos jersey from Mears.

$67.10...can't beat that.

tom1315
05-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Anyone on the forum win the Maryland football helmets and jerseys? I bid on same yet decided not to go above $600 and they sold ultimately for $700.

My interest lies in the helmets. Thanks!

Tom

allstarsplus
05-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Anyone on the forum win the Maryland football helmets and jerseys? I bid on same yet decided not to go above $600 and they sold ultimately for $700.

Tom

Tom - I am fairly certain all of those items came from the estate of Gary Hong who passed away last year and was a member of GUU.

His U of M collection was extensive as was his Washington Senators and Washington Nationals collections.

Hope someone enjoys those items because Gary had a lot of passion for his collecting. He was always at the University of Maryland sales of the used jerseys for baseball, football, and basketball and found a few great ones in there!

allstarsplus
05-29-2009, 02:54 PM

Tom

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=12558 If this was the auction, then I am fairly certain they were Gary's.

Contact Bill Huggins and ask him if he has any more.

TAFKADixie
05-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Man I hate when I foget about an auction ending!! $44 for a pair of Horace Grant game shoes at Mears! ARGHHHHHH!

hrvatwill
05-29-2009, 07:47 PM
I took a crack at and ending up being the high bidder on the Fernando Gonzalez 1973 Game Used Jersey in the AMI auction. It just so happens that I kept a scrapbook of every Pirates game that year which I compiled with my father and still have. In addition, we attended numerous games during which time he taught me how to keep score (still have the scorebooks too).

Although he had a very modest career with the Pirates, I distinctly remember Gonzalez playing that year and am thrilled to have one of his home jerseys with the #21 Roberto Clemente memorial patch still intact.

Just one of those things that evokes pleasant childhood memories of going to the game with my dad and rooting for our team. Probably one of the primary reasons that I along with many others on this forum gravitated to this hobby.

cordovacollector
05-29-2009, 08:23 PM
I took a crack at and ending up being the high bidder on the Fernando Gonzalez 1973 Game Used Jersey in the AMI auction. It just so happens that I kept a scrapbook of every Pirates game that year which I compiled with my father and still have. In addition, we attended numerous games during which time he taught me how to keep score (still have the scorebooks too).

Although he had a very modest career with the Pirates, I distinctly remember Gonzalez playing that year and am thrilled to have one of his home jerseys with the #21 Roberto Clemente memorial patch still intact.

Just one of those things that evokes pleasant childhood memories of going to the game with my dad and rooting for our team. Probably one of the primary reasons that I along with many others on this forum gravitated to this hobby.

Great story!!! I think many of us with that deep passion for baseball all started because of similar stories.

tom1315
05-29-2009, 10:42 PM
http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=12558 If this was the auction, then I am fairly certain they were Gary's.

Contact Bill Huggins and ask him if he has any more.

Andrew thank you for this information and I will reach out to Bill. Thank you! Tom

suicide_squeeze
05-29-2009, 11:09 PM
I sweated it out through wee hours of the night, but BY GOD I won my item in AMI's auction....just couldn't live without this bad boy.....

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=48436&aucsearch=fernando%20gonzalez%20&AucListType=closed&TitleDesc=0&period=&offset=0

My very own Fernando Gonzalez 1974 Blazer!! He wore this to bars or something during his days with the Royals.

I have always been a BIG fan of John Travolta, the disco days, and this nice jacket just seemed to really do it for me. It illicits nice thoughts of the days I used to travel with my parents up to San Francisco, and see all of those well groomed "men" marching down the streets in some kind of parade......

Not really.

bigtruck260
05-29-2009, 11:55 PM
I had a few wins -

A 1999 Chris Duncan bat - It's an LS, so it's easy to date...and 1999 was Duncan's first year in pro baseball at Johnson City. A cool pre-rookie bat for about $35.

A set of Darryl Kile memorial wristbands from the games follwing his death. They are black with 57 embroidered...and used by a coach. I have only seen one other set, and was happy to win them for another $35.

'Twas a good night for the ole Truck.