PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Reds Jersey Question

Dave4Reds
05-30-2009, 09:17 PM
I am curious as to why my 2001 Larkin and 2001 Dunn jerseys have different tags? The Larkin has the "size/polyester" tag next to the "property of" tag while the Dunn ones are centered. Did they do them 2 different ways or is one of them modified or faked? Appreciate any insights.

AWA85
05-30-2009, 10:04 PM
I will check some of my Reds jerseys, but I know I have seen both methods on mine before.

By the way great jerseys, willing to part with the Dunn at all? Shoot me an email at AWA85@live.com

AWA85
05-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Looking at them a little closer, the numbers on the Dunn seem a little odd? Also I really don't think Dunner would be a size 44?!?! I had one of his jerseys in the past and it was huge, not sure of the exact size.

sox83cubs84
05-30-2009, 10:11 PM
There's no way Dunn would fit into a smaller jersey than the tapered 46 Larkin uses. Also, maybe it's the lighting in the photo, but the 44 looks to be a noticeably different shade of red than the CINCINNATI. Plus, the font for the 44 seems odd.

Dave M.
Chicago area

AWA85
05-30-2009, 10:14 PM
What does the back of the jersey look like on the "Dunn" jersey? Would you mind sharing a photo of that?

The Larkin matches up with his size and is a great jersey!

Neely8
05-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I have a Dunn alternate from 03 with the Inaugural GABP patch and it's a size 52. I seriously doubt he wore a size 44. A 44 is a medium isn't it? I was also going to say the font on the front 44's looks a little strange.

kingjammy24
05-31-2009, 12:33 AM
not that it has anything to do with the OP's question but:

1) the team wordmarks differ. the left side of dunn's jersey has "CINCI". the left side of larkin's jersey has "CINC". interesting production anomaly. quickly looking at some getty photos of the '01 reds shows most wearing the "CINCI" version but an Apr/2001 photo of larkin shows him wearing the "CINC" version.

2) the dunn strip tag has "Property" misspelled as "Proerty"

rudy.

kingjammy24
05-31-2009, 12:54 AM
here are some photos of dunn from 2000/2001:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8625/sillyyzd.jpg

can you show some pics of the back of the dunn shirt?

rudy.

Dave4Reds
05-31-2009, 06:40 AM
Wow, I didn't expect responses this fast. You guys confirmed my suspicions that the Larkin jersey is good and the Dunn isn't. I'll be returning the Dunn jersey. Thanks.

cincy13
05-31-2009, 08:43 AM
I had heard of some bogus casey and larkin jerseys done back in 2001 when I was at Redsfest. A friend of mine from Kentucky was telling me about it. The property tags were done differently.They were coming out of the Georgia area. There was a guy selling Reds jerseys every week, the same players. There only so many jerseys made each year, so it raised some eyebrows among us collectors/sellers here in Cincinnati about how this guy was getting top player jerseys to sell on a weekly basis. He was selling out of SCD.

kingjammy24
05-31-2009, 11:03 AM
the back numbers don't look good either.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/1120/sillyu.jpg

a few years ago, it became apparent that someone had made up a stack of "pro" coded majestic wash tags. apparently in response to collectors placing so much reliance on wash codes, they figured if they could make up a bunch of 0062 tags, then that'd help things greatly. anyway, other than the wash code, legit majestic tags had some other type of code on them. not sure what it referred to but it seemed to vary greatly from team to team under legit circumstances. the person who made up the fake 0062 tags screwed up in this sense because while they included that category of code, they printed off one entire batch with the same code, regardless of team, etc; "0503B2".
it didn't help that many of those tags were sewn on top of the seam. my guess is they used a single legit wash tag as a master or prototype and printed off multiple copies. they probably figured that collectors wouldn't be able to come together and realize that many of them had the exact same code on their jerseys whereas in legit circumstances those codes varied greatly.

this jersey also has the strip tag misspelled as "Proerty..":

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26130

like the dunn jersey in this thread, it also has the strip tag sewn outside of the mfr tag. (the larkin jersey has the strip tag sewn underneath the mfr tag). anyone have any other "Proerty" reds jerseys?

rudy.

suicide_squeeze
05-31-2009, 12:13 PM
I have a Dunn alternate from 03 with the Inaugural GABP patch and it's a size 52. I seriously doubt he wore a size 44. A 44 is a medium isn't it? I was also going to say the font on the front 44's looks a little strange.

A 44!???

The only way Adam Dunn fits into a size 44 ANYTHING is if it's made out of 100% spandex, and that's only if he's going out for a night on the town looking for a date while on a road trip in San Francisco....:eek:

Dave4Reds
06-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Interestingly this 2001 Griffey jersey appears to have all the telltale signs of being faked by the same person that did my Dunn. Misspelled "Proerty" tag, the tag sewn under the manufacturer's tag and the wrong numbers. The numbers are too big and have a wider white border.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250433131259