PDA

View Full Version : NBA Finals jerseys

yankees24
05-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Will the Lakers and Magic NBA Finals jerseys be auctioned off again this year? Also, does anyone know if teams are issued brand new jerseys for the Finals or will they continue to use the same ones throughout the other playoff rounds with the Finals trophy patch now affixed on?

BarryMeisel
06-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi Yankees24,

Thanks for the question.

The NBA and MeiGray Game-Worn Authentication Program will be tagging new jerseys for the Magic and Lakers for Games 1 and 3, and will be offering these jerseys via auction.

NBA & MGG will be on hand collecting these jerseys immediately after Game 1 at Staples Center and Game 3 at Amway Arena.

The Game 1 auction (Lakers home, Magic road) will begin at tipoff of Game 1 Thursday night.

Regards,
Barry

Yankeesfan09
06-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi Barry, I had a quick question for you. For the jerseys being auctioned, does that include bench players to? I am a HUGE JJ Redick fan, and I am about 100% sure he wont see any playing time in either of those games but would still love the chance to bid on his jersey. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

mbenga28
06-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Barry could you elaborate if these jerseys will only be worn for Games 1 and 3? If so, what about those used for Games 2,4 and if necessary 5, 6, and 7? Thanks.

BarryMeisel
06-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi guys,

Yes, we will be tagging jerseys for all 15 players on the rosters. So this set will include three game-issued jerseys, for guys who are not dressed, and they could include players who were dressed, but DNP (coach's decision).

The jerseys worn in games other than 1 and 3 will remain property of the teams.

Hope this helps,
Barry

hblakewolf
06-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Barry-

Do you happen to know how many total sets of home and road jerseys will be worn by each team? Is a new set used for each game?

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

BarryMeisel
06-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Howard,

We do not know yet. But we hope to have that info by the time the series ends.

Barry

mbenga28
06-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi Barry, is it possible that the Lakers and Magic would wear the same jerseys they've been using throughout the playoffs for Games 2, 4,and if necessary 5, 6 and 7?

BarryMeisel
06-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Yes, I would imagine that is possible.

We'll know more once the Finals begin.

Barry

mbenga28
06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
one more question Barry are the jerseys going to be on display at the NBA Store like with last year? Thanks!

BarryMeisel
06-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Not sure yet, Mbenga.

Last year, I flew them back from Boston the next AM.

LA's a little further away, so they might go up later in the week. Still to be determined.

We'll provide an update when it is determined.

Thanks, Barry

mbenga28
06-03-2009, 10:52 PM
thanks Barry, safe trip to LA and enjoy the game!

BarryMeisel
06-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi everybody,
When Game 1 tips off at 9:07 pm ET tonight at Staples Center, the NBA & MGG Game-Worn Jersey Authentication Program will tip off its third annual NBA Finals Game-Worn Jersey Auction.
The blue Finals jerseys worn by each member of the Eastern Conference Champion Orlando Magic and the gold Finals jerseys worn by each member of the Western Conference Champion Los Angeles Lakers in tonight’s Game 1 will be up for bid.
The auction runs through Thursday, June 18, ending at 9 p.m. ET at Auctions.NBA.Com
NBA & MGG will also auction the set of white Orlando and purple Los Angeles jerseys the teams will wear in Game 3 at Orlando. The Game 3 auction tips off Tuesday, June 9 at 9:07 pm ET and runs through Thursday, June 25 at 9 pm ET.
Good luck in the bidding, everybody.

Barry

sportscentury
06-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi everybody,
When Game 1 tips off at 9:07 pm ET tonight at Staples Center, the NBA & MGG Game-Worn Jersey Authentication Program will tip off its third annual NBA Finals Game-Worn Jersey Auction.
The blue Finals jerseys worn by each member of the Eastern Conference Champion Orlando Magic and the gold Finals jerseys worn by each member of the Western Conference Champion Los Angeles Lakers in tonight’s Game 1 will be up for bid.
The auction runs through Thursday, June 18, ending at 9 p.m. ET at Auctions.NBA.Com
NBA & MGG will also auction the set of white Orlando and purple Los Angeles jerseys the teams will wear in Game 3 at Orlando. The Game 3 auction tips off Tuesday, June 9 at 9:07 pm ET and runs through Thursday, June 25 at 9 pm ET.
Good luck in the bidding, everybody.

Barry

Barry ...
Wow, sounds incredible. Can't wait to see the photos. Don't forget to hold the best Kobe for me. ;)
Reid

mbenga28
06-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi Barry, could you tell us why the MeiGray security tagging is now on top of the jocktagging with the Finals jerseys and will this change be applied to all future game worn/issued NBA jerseys as well? thanks.

doodle
06-05-2009, 12:47 AM
They should just make this a private auction for jtnbafan (previously known as exquisite613).

He would at times wait for the last 3 minutes before putting a bid on those Latin Nights jersey to tease the previous high bidder.

:rolleyes:

BRAVO

BarryMeisel
06-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Hi Mbenga,

Spacing for sewing at the bottom of the jerseys is the reason the tags were placed where they were for these sets.

Barry

nickacs
06-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Hi Barry,
Thanks for offering these jerseys again! I was curious, last night I went on the auctions.nba website and saw most of the Game 1 jerseys already up to bid on by the 3rd quarter? :) Does this mean the players wore one jersey for the 1st half and a new one for the 2nd half?

Thanks!

mbenga28
06-05-2009, 07:09 AM
thank you Barry and hope you had a great time at the game! and doodle please take your jealousy and negativity elsewhere, you had just an equal opportunity to bid on the jerseys as well.

sportscentury
06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
thank you Barry and hope you had a great time at the game! and doodle please take your jealousy and negativity elsewhere, you had just an equal opportunity to bid on the jerseys as well.

Thank you.

doodle
06-05-2009, 09:36 AM
tupperwares :rolleyes:

mbenga28
06-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm curious to know why you feel this way doodle? Winners of the auctions did nothing wrong, they placed their bids to their highest price they could afford and won. Is there a problem?

BarryMeisel
06-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Nickacs,

No, the jerseys were photographed before they were sent to the teams, so it had nothing to do with first half/second half.

We authenticated the jerseys after the game, since a few players did change at halftime. That information has been updated in the auctions as follows:

For Los Angeles, Lamar Odom changed jerseys at halftime, so his first half jersey is the one up for auction.

For Orlando, Jameer Nelson, Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu changed jerseys at halftime, so their first half jerseys are the ones up for auction.

Regards, Barry

nickacs
06-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Thank you Barry for the information!

rmsportsfan
06-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Hello Barry,

Why only the first-half jerseys and not make both jerseys available to give more people the opportunity to own these awesome jerseys?

Do the players keep the other jersey for remembrance? :)

Thanks!

rmsportsfan
06-05-2009, 02:35 PM
All I want is a Fish! Could you please ask Fish to wear a different jersey for each quarter in game 3? he he he

He's jersey is in my wishlist that I gave to Barb.

Beat LA! Beat LA! <-- most famous chant

BarryMeisel
06-05-2009, 07:19 PM
RMSportsfan,

It is because our agreement calls for us to get one set of home and one set of road jerseys from both teams in the Finals.

Barry

sportscentury
06-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Kobe up over $10,000 already. I predicted $15,000 to another GUU member when the jerseys were first posted. Perhaps I underestimated it.

mbenga28
06-06-2009, 08:28 PM
considering Kobe's historical performance in Game 1, I wouldn't be surprised to see this go for even more than the prices his jerseys sold for in last year's Finals.

sportscentury
06-06-2009, 08:56 PM
considering Kobe's historical performance in Game 1, I wouldn't be surprised to see this go for even more than the prices his jerseys sold for in last year's Finals.

Mbenga -- well, they lost last year. If the Lakers continue to play like they did in Game 1, then I would expect this year's would go for considerably more (the difference in historical significance would be enormous if the Lakers win it all this year). What did last year's Kobe Game 1 jersey go for? And what is your prediction for this year's?

mbenga28
06-06-2009, 09:04 PM
hi sportscentury, enclosed is the link to Kobe's road jersey from Game 1 of last year's Finals (this was also worn in Game 2 as well).

http://auctions.nba.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=&prmenbr=51136034&aunbr=95196278

because of Kobe's performance in Game 1 his best in any Finals games he's played in thus far, and if the Lakers go on to win the title, I wouldn't be surprised to see the gold home jersey sell for at least 25,000.00$ USD.

mbenga28
06-06-2009, 09:09 PM
please also review this completed auction when you have a moment sportscentury.

http://auctions.nba.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?aunbr=95343790&prrfnbr=94997080&prmenbr=51136034

sportscentury
06-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Mbenga: Holy cow. Those are some serious winning bids. If the home Kobe from last year sold for $25,020, then even your prediction for this year's home Kobe may be a good bit low. Mine will likely be blown out of the water ($15,000 seems like a silly prediction after seeing last year's prices).

By the way, I have what is likely a stupid question for you: How do you find NBA Auctions from that far back? I often click on the "Recently Sold Items" icon, but it doesn't seem to go but a couple of months back. How do you find NBA Auctions from years past? Thanks in advance for the help. You can email me at rgf2@hotmail.com if you prefer.

sox83cubs84
06-07-2009, 09:29 PM
The Lakers are wearing the Sunday home whites in Game 2.

Dave M.
Chicago area

rmsportsfan
06-07-2009, 11:35 PM
The Kobe jersey is already at $10K+ and to think that the high rollers have not entered their bids yet. They usually arrive when the auction is about to end.

I have predicted before the jerseys were posted that the Kobe jersey will go for $35K this year.

mbenga28
06-08-2009, 07:19 AM
By the way, I have what is likely a stupid question for you: How do you find NBA Auctions from that far back? I often click on the "Recently Sold Items" icon, but it doesn't seem to go but a couple of months back. How do you find NBA Auctions from years past? Thanks in advance for the help. You can email me at rgf2@hotmail.com if you prefer.

sportscentury, you can just google the terms, usually I put in "NBA Auctions" and the player name/year/event. Unfortunately, not all listings from way back are available, I was trying to look for some of the 2007 NBA Finals jerseys final prices but haven't come up with any hits. Most if not all the Finals jerseys from last year should be on search engines though. Hope this helps!

sportscentury
06-08-2009, 09:13 AM
sportscentury, you can just google the terms, usually I put in "NBA Auctions" and the player name/year/event. Unfortunately, not all listings from way back are available, I was trying to look for some of the 2007 NBA Finals jerseys final prices but haven't come up with any hits. Most if not all the Finals jerseys from last year should be on search engines though. Hope this helps!

Thank you. I thought maybe I was missing a search mechanism on NBA Auctions (I wish the website made all previous auctions available).

BarryMeisel
06-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi everybody,

Just a reminder that the Game 3 jerseys (LA Lakers purple, Orlando white) have just gone up for auction at auctions.nba.com. Auction ends Thursday, June 25.

Good luck in the bidding everybody,

Barry

mbenga28
06-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Hi Barry,

I'm interested in bidding on one of the Lakers road jerseys from Game 3, do you know if the letter from NBA Entertainment and MeiGray will state the final score of the game? Thank you.

mbenga28
06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
I was just viewing this photo on the NBA's official Facebook page and they had a photo of Kobe's Game 1 jersey on display:

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs084.snc1/4895_94161341823_56907101823_2100339_2437050_n.jpg

why is the MeiGray security tagging in this photo below the jocktag, whereas the Kobe jersey on NBA Auctions the tagging is above?

mbenga28
06-17-2009, 08:16 PM
I apologize for not reviewing before submitting the post, I meant to say the NBA Store's official Facebook page.

skinsfan0521
06-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Obviously Barry is the one who would have the real answer for this, but my guess would be that the display that is on their facebook page doesn't necessarily have to be the actual game 1 jersey. It's hard to read the writing in this picture, but it looks like it's basically an ad to tell people to go to nba auctions to buy Kobe's game 1 worn jersey... but not saying that the one in the picture is that specific jersey.

Just my guess...

worldchamps
06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
$15,000....$5,000....$100,000

it doesnt matter, jtnbafan is going home with all of them.

I think prices for these jerseys have been going really low, and it is bc people realize you just cant win and are not bidding.

nickacs
06-17-2009, 09:08 PM
I agree that it might be an ad, maybe from last year's NBA Finals showing the Game 1 jersey where the tags where below the size tagging.
But likewise, Barry is the only one who will know for sure :)

BarryMeisel
06-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Hi everybody,

Just saw this thread, and the answer is none of the above.

Actually, the jersey in the NBA Team Store is the exact jersey, as Kobe wore it.

The picture of the Kobe jersey was taken before Kobe wore it, since we had to prepare for the auction that began at tipoff.

Due to severe time constraints (jerseys are not prepared until the Finalists are determined and we have very little time to get them from adidas, photograph them, tag them, and get them to the teams), the tag Kobe was laid on top of the jock tag for the photograph.

The tag was sewn in by our seamstress AFTER the photo, and the tags were sewn below the jock tags. If you look closely at the photos, you can see that the tag number is the same in the NBA Auction Photo and in the NBA Storefront window.

NBA and MGG program directors carried the entire set directly out of Staples Center after Game 1 and out of Amway Arena after Game 3. The jerseys went directly to NBA and MGG offices, and the Kobe took a detour at the NBA Store.

The Game 1 auction ends tonight. Good luck everybody.

Barry

mbenga28
06-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Good morning Barry and thank you for coming by to address this question immediately. I hope the winners of tonight's auction are also aware of this thread so there is no confusion when they receive the jerseys why the MeiGray security tagging is in a different location than shown on the auction photos.

Barry since you also mentioned the seamstress who stitches the tags onto the jersey, could you please pass along my thanks and appreciation for the fine job that is done with all MeiGray pieces? Though it may not sound much, I am always grateful at how the taggings are always sewn on with precision and in alignment with the jocktags, unlike those other sellers of game used items who sloppily slap on their seals of authentication in a wacky fashion.

BarryMeisel
06-18-2009, 06:05 PM
I will Mbenga28.
And by the way it is seamstresses, not seamstress.
We use a team of sewers for the many leagues with which we partner.

Good luck in tonight's auction, everybody.

Barry

BarryMeisel
06-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Just re-read my post.

Here's a vote for being able to edit these posts.

Why?

I just wrote sewer, for someone who sews. Doesn't look right, looks like water going down a drain in a street.

Oh well. Hope you all know what I meant, hope my sew ... er, seamstresses, don't read GUU.

Barry

mbenga28
06-18-2009, 08:18 PM

I think prices for these jerseys have been going really low, and it is bc people realize you just cant win and are not bidding.

the prices for the jerseys is amazing!

nickacs
06-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Kobe's Game1 just closed at a tad over $35k :eek: :eek:

Good 'ol 'jtnbafan' swoopin in at 10mins to go before the auction initially was to end :rolleyes: As well as half a dozen other jerseys.. lol... hey, if ya got the $$$, why not I say!

joelsabi
06-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Kobe's Game1 just closed at a tad over $35k :eek: :eek:

Good 'ol 'jtnbafan' swoopin in at 10mins to go before the auction initially was to end :rolleyes: As well as half a dozen other jerseys.. lol... hey, if ya got the $$$, why not I say!

you see arizas? crazy money.

mbenga28
06-18-2009, 08:57 PM
very nice on the Fisher gold jersey!

worldchamps
06-18-2009, 09:03 PM
So does the NBA do combined shipping costs...bc jtnbafan could save easily a couple $100 if all the jerseys were shipped together.

jobathenut
06-18-2009, 09:08 PM
How much did the walton go for? I really would love to get that,but i'm not rich.:)

mbenga28
06-18-2009, 09:08 PM
man wouldn't it be the bomb if you were the UPS carrier bringing all those boxes to one location? very nice congrats jt!

mbenga28
06-18-2009, 09:09 PM
How much did the walton go for? I really would love to get that,but i'm not rich.:)

pretty reasonable

http://auctions.nba.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=105799121&prmenbr=51136034&aunbr=106145831

jobathenut
06-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks,i just went on there and looked at them.Man that jt sure is rich.I wish i was that person or knew that person.Yeah,that walton went at a somewhat reasonable price ,i guess.Not reasonable to me,but as far as game used items go.The one question i have for barry if he comes back on here.And thats,i noticed that the odam (and some of the magic)say first half only.Well what happen to the second half jerseys? Are you guys not selling them.And does that mean that players like kobe did'nt change jerseys? And he and the others wore just that one jersey the whole game.just wondering.:)
pretty reasonable

http://auctions.nba.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=105799121&prmenbr=51136034&aunbr=106145831

rmsportsfan
06-18-2009, 11:54 PM

I got the Courtney Lee for $1,002, I don't think that's cheap :eek: I would have loved to get the other jerseys, but I stepped back as soon as I see JT bid on them. I was going back and forth whether to bid on the Lee or the Walton when I saw JT had no bid on them..ended up going for Courtney Lee's.

skinsfan0521
06-19-2009, 07:17 AM
If you go back and read earlier in this post, Barry answers those questions for you. Basically, yes, the ones who say first half only are the only players who changed at halftime, the others wore the same jersey the whole game. But if you want to read the list and a couple more details, just find his post earlier in this thread.

-Brian

mbenga28
06-19-2009, 07:32 AM
I got the Courtney Lee for $1,002, I don't think that's cheap :eek: I would have loved to get the other jerseys, but I stepped back as soon as I see JT bid on them. I was going back and forth whether to bid on the Lee or the Walton when I saw JT had no bid on them..ended up going for Courtney Lee's.

great pickup! probably other bidders weren't as interested with Lee's jersey because he will best be remembered for his missed layup in Game 2 that could have changed the tide of the Finals. Did anyone else here win a jersey?

rmsportsfan
06-19-2009, 10:23 AM
I hope I win the lottery before 06/25, so I can go for the Kobe and Fish...he he he

I was surprised that the Dwight Howard was under $8K.....I thought it will go at least $15K.

I think what hurt the prices of the Magic jerseys beside them losing the Finals is that bidders got discouraged of winning the Magic's key players. The Lakers jerseys were scheduled for end of auction ahead of the Magic's, instead of both team's ending side by side.

I know that Fish hit those BIG shots in game 4 and is in the winning team, but does his jersey really cost more than Dwight's?:confused:

jobathenut
06-19-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm assumming you are talking about my post.Thanks,i did'nt feel like reading 7 pages to see if he addressed that question.I guess laziness.So thanks for ansewering my questions.:)
If you go back and read earlier in this post, Barry answers those questions for you. Basically, yes, the ones who say first half only are the only players who changed at halftime, the others wore the same jersey the whole game. But if you want to read the list and a couple more details, just find his post earlier in this thread.

-Brian

rmsportsfan
06-25-2009, 09:24 PM
I got the Rafer Alston game 3 jersey in tonight's auction. I also got Courtney Lee's game 1 jersey last Thursday. They were both traded to the Nets earlier and I am a Season Ticket Holder :)
I'll check with my account manager if it's okay to ask them to sign the jerseys in one of the STH events even if these are Magic jerseys.

sportscentury
06-25-2009, 09:58 PM
I got the Rafer Alston game 3 jersey in tonight's auction. I also got Courtney Lee's game 1 jersey last Thursday. They were both traded to the Nets earlier and I am a Season Ticket Holder :)
I'll check with my account manager if it's okay to ask them to sign the jerseys in one of the STH events even if these are Magic jerseys.

Ruel, congrats. Both are very nice pick-ups. Somehow, I was able to land Jameer Nelson's Finals Game 3 jersey tonight for $1040. His first home finals jersey, the only Finals game the Magic won, and it's photomatched by the pinstripes. Never would have thought that I even had a chance with my bid.

nickacs
06-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Congrats guys on your pick-up's tonight! :) Yea, I ended up with the Rashard Lewis Game 3 jersey tonight and was surprised mr. 'jtnbafan' didn't snag up everything.
I notice he did win the Dwight Howard Game 3 jersey tonight (cuz I bidded on it several times!), but interesting he didn't even bid/win the Kobe Bryant jersey?! :eek: shocker! lol..

I was combing a lot of the jerseys tonight and noticed a lot of different winners, so great that everyone got a chance to get something! That's the way it should be ;)

lund6771
06-25-2009, 10:57 PM
anyone knowwho jtnbafan is?...i've been thinking it might be Justin Timberlake?

rmsportsfan
06-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I saw a couple of you guys in the auction tonight. JT placed a bid only once for the Kobe jersey.

I wanted the Rashard too, since I have his warm-up shirt, but the price just gone too high.

Congrats!!!

sportscentury
06-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I saw a couple of you guys in the auction tonight. JT placed a bid only once for the Kobe jersey.

I wanted the Rashard too, since I have his warm-up shirt, but the price just gone too high.

Congrats!!!

Yes, I saw you guys, as well. It's a regular group of us at this point. I love the Nelson and am excited to get it, but I may have to use it as trade bait for one of the players I collect.

I was really surprised by some of the prices (both high and low) and how different some of the prices were this time around, versus the Game 1 jersey round. For example, the Farmar road sold for over three times the Farmar home (the Lakers won Game 1 at home but lost Game 3 in Orlando). Hard to figure that one.

rmsportsfan
06-27-2009, 10:09 AM
I think it has something to do with seeing JT in the auction room. Some bidders in Game 1 might bid toe-to-toe with JT just for the heck of jacking-up the price, especially those who might get frustrated that they are losing every jersey that they are after.

Then, when they get tired of doing it for the first few jerseys, they stop, because they know that JT will win them anyways. So, JT is able acquire those jerseys ending at a later time for a lower price.

Then, for Game 3, when they see that JT is not around, they get motivated and try to outbid the other bidders, thinking that this time they have a shot at winning the item.

I think the true value of these awesome game-worn memorabilia can be measured more accurately when JT is not trying to get almost all superstars or key players' jerseys. Well, this just my opinion based on my observation.

When I saw JT not bidding on the Fisher jersey and saw that it might just land in the $3000-$4000 range, I got frustrated, because if I had only known, then I would have saved the money I spent for Lee in game 1 and not also buy the Alston game 3....and just use those money and add some more to get the Fisher jersey that I have been chasing after for a long time now. I decided to just go for whatever jersey JT wasn't touching in game 1, because I was thinking that he will also be interested in the game 3 jerseys.

Oh well, maybe next time, when it's not a Finals jersey and maybe when he is about to retire. A lot of the collectors noticed Fisher maybe just because of his recent heroics, but I don't know if they would have fought tooth and nail for his jersey if he continued his slump. I was so mad when he drilled those 3 pointers in game 4, because I said to myself that most collectors will now want his finals jersey just because of those shots.