PDA

View Full Version : Vince Coleman Jersey Ebay

Joeycola
06-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Can you guys give me your opinion as I'm going to a Vince Coleman Signing and wanted to get a jersey signed? I am a rookie collector and would love to have a jersey signed, but unsure if this is Authentic Cooperstown Classic. I have not found a Coleman gamer, so have to settle for an Authentic throwback. Thanks for your help!!! JC

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINCE-COLEMAN-Cardinals-1985-Cooperstown-Jersey-LARGE_W0QQitemZ310120666341QQihZ021QQcategoryZ2491 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/7926460/aview/1157483133422_coleman_35.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.com/VINCE-COLEMAN-Cardinals-1985-Cooperstown-Jersey-LARGE_W0QQitemZ310120666341QQihZ021QQcategoryZ2491 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#)

MikeM
06-04-2009, 07:45 PM
"Authentic Cooperstown Classic" is a bit of an oxymoron.
The Cooperstown Classic's jerseys themselves are replica jerseys. Thus, the Cardinals logo on the front will not be embroidered, but rather sewn on like lettering, etc.

Also, the lettering you see there is likely a seller putting their own lettering on it. I personally don't think it looks very authentic since there's very little curve to the lettering and the spacing seems tight. But then again, it's a replica jersey anyway.

Are you locked into getting a blue pullover? If not, you could get an authentic Rawlings jersey (usually the white pullovers are available on eBay, etc.) and then get proper lettering. That would be the next best thing to a gamer.

thrush29
06-05-2009, 11:36 AM
JC,

Not to get off of topic, but would you tell me where he is signing at?

thanks
Dave

5kRunner
06-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Not a real Cooperstown Classic. Or, if it is, there are major problems with this jersey compared to any jersey Coleman would have wore.

One. The Cardinals switched to Gray road jerseys in 1985, Coleman's rookie year. First I thought, maybe he debuted in 1984. A Sept callup or something. Nope. Coleman's debut was April 18, 1985.

Two. The Cardinals nameplate on the front is wrong. That logo wasn't on a jersey until 1998 (I think). The tail of the bird on the right goes behind the bat, not in front. See pic.

Now, as a Cubs fan, I'm going to go throw up because I know too much about Cardinal jerseys. :eek:

Joeycola
06-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Mike ~ I wasn't specificially looking for the powder blue as I was looking for an authentic jersey to get signed.

Authentic Rawlings jersey... is this a blank jersey and secondly where do I get the proper lettering? Thanks for your help!!!

Dave ~ Coleman is signing July 11th & 12th at Cardinals Museum. If you need anything signed I am going... let me know.

Scott ~ living in Chicago I can appreciate you being a die hard Cubs fan even though I am not... but thank you for your insight to the jersey.

So I will look for a Rawlings jersey, but unsure of where to get the proper lettering?!?!?

MikeM
06-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Mike ~ I wasn't specificially looking for the powder blue as I was looking for an authentic jersey to get signed.

Hi Joey, well the choice is yours but if I were going to have him sign something I'd have him sign something fairly authentic like a real 80's style rawlings jersey.

For example, here's an 80's style white pull over Ozzie Smith Cards jersey that is NOT a gamer, but has many of the same lettering qualities and materials of a real gamer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250392013531

There are many places that do authentic lettering. Exclusive Pro Sports is one in Illinois that you can send your jersey to to have them do lettering, but I'm sure people have pros/cons of their service.

The problem for you is time. You may not have time to get lettering done before the signing. If that's the case, an option could be to buy a legit blank Rawlings Cardinals jersey on ebay or something, and then bring the blank one to the signing to have Coleman sign above the Cardinals logo on the front (nowhere near the lettering) and then get pro lettering added later.

Again, it's all up to you. Personally autographs don't do it for me at all. I'd like to just go to the signing to see him and shake his hand.

Joeycola
06-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Mike thanks for your help. I collect autographs on 16x20 Photos, but recently started collecting gamers. Thanks again for your help... greatly appreciated!

thrush29
06-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Here is a Coleman Jersey I picked up several years ago before I really started collecting. I believe its a Rawlings Salesman sample but I havent really researched it, so we can let the board decide. If your interested in it let me know. I wasnt looking to sell it but its just been hanging in the closet. Shoot me a PM or email if your interested and maybe we can work a trade or sale out.

Dave