PDA

View Full Version : Why no action on this Elway GU Jersey?

skinsfan0521
06-03-2009, 06:38 PM
So, I know that there's still like 15+ days left on this auction, but why no action on this gamer? I'm not really sure what it should go for or anything like that, but I'd assume that (if legit of course) an Elway gamer should go for more than the $800 starting bid, no?

Just wondering if there's something that's keeping people away or if it's just cuz it's a long way from ending?

http://www.collect-auctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=355

Thanks a lot!

-Brian

mfsquirrelmaster
06-03-2009, 09:51 PM
The description seems kind of funny to me. It says it come with paperwork from Mears then it goes on to break down the grading of this jersey which is completely different from how the Mears grading system works. Maybe they have there own grading system they are using on each of the jerseys they offer.

skinsfan0521
06-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I was a little confused on that as well. It says somewhere in there about it being a 5.5.... well, I thought that was an impossible grade for anything after 1987 and this is supposedly from 1990.

Is that all? It just seems weird to me that a Elway gamer has no bids w/a minimum of $800.

Thanks for the reply

-Brian

mfsquirrelmaster
06-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Post 87 jerseys can get higher than a 5 without provenance for reasons like "player characteristics." I think the highest a jersey can get without direct provenance is 8 though.

kingjammy24
06-03-2009, 11:24 PM
mears doesn't use half grades or fractions. there is no such thing as a 5.5 from mears. it's A1-A10.

the grading system described in the auction lot seems to be the one used by lou lampson.

rudy.

mfsquirrelmaster
06-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't think they add half grades, but they do subtract them for slight imperfections like loose stitching. Maybe the jersey had points added for one reason and also had a half point subtracted for something else. Either way I would assume its the auction houses grading system.

kingjammy24
06-03-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't think they add half grades, but they do subtract them for slight imperfections like loose stitching. Maybe the jersey had points added for one reason and also had a half point subtracted for something else. Either way I would assume its the auction houses grading system.

you're correct. my mistake. i think i had too much cheesecake tonight.

anyway, the system described in the auction lot is the system that lou uses, not mears.

"The jersey graded out to an overall 5.5 after receiving a 3.0 grade (of possible 4.0) for its characteristics/identifiers.."

there is no "4.0" cap with mears for "characteristics/identifiers". there is a 4.0 cap for "characteristics/identifiers" with lou's system

"..a 1.0 (2.0) for its aesthetics/customization, a 1.0 (2.0) for its range of wear and a 0.5 (2.0) for its provenance."

ditto, ditto, ditto. below is one of lou's letters. clearly the auction jersey was graded by lou, not mears.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5260/codesc.jpg

rudy.

mfsquirrelmaster
06-03-2009, 11:40 PM
That cheesecake gets me every time too.

kingjammy24
06-03-2009, 11:41 PM
the auction lot uses the exact terminology/exact categories that lou uses and coincidentally has the exact same caps.

mears doesn't use that nomenclature nor do they have those caps.

rudy.

skinsfan0521
06-04-2009, 08:40 AM
I had a question about another lot and I emailed an the guy got back to me pretty quickly several times. I'll have to send another email tonight when I get home from work and see if he can clear it up.

Thanks for the replies though, something's definitely not lining up. Not that it's a fake or anything, but it's obviously not a MEARS LOA.

I will say though that the other thing that I asked about was a lot of 68 autographs. Well, in the title it says 668 and in the description it says 68. So, I pointed that out in one of my emails and he fixed it right away the next morning. Maybe it's a typeo, maybe not... we'll see.

Thanks again!

-Brian

mfsquirrelmaster
06-04-2009, 01:37 PM
The jersey probably comes with two LOA's. One from Mears and one from what looks like Lampson.

blades3
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Dave Grob brought my attention to this lot and I apologize for the mistake. I attempt to personally edit and approve every lot, but missed this one. The jersey arrives with a MEARS LOO and is graded A5 (signed by Bushing and Troy). I have fixed the description on the lot to include more detail about the MEARS evaluation and will soon add an image of the LOO and worksheet. I appreciate you noticing this and bringing it to my attention, and apologize for the error.

Here’s the link to the fixed description:

http://collect-auctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=355