PDA

View Full Version : Pujols bat use

Birdbats
05-09-2006, 11:30 AM
In the interest of sharing information, here's a note about the bats Albert Pujols has been using so far this season.

For the most part, through 140 plate appearances, he's been using Sam Bat (93%). Most of those have been natural finish (111 plate appearances). He used a two-tone bat (similar to Bonds' bat) in his other 19 plate appearances using Sam Bats. Other than Sam, he used a natural LS M9 for 6 plate appearances during two games in April; and he broke out a natural X-Bat for his four plate appearances last night (5/8).

As for characteristics, his bats (as usual) have had very little pine tar. Every Sam bat I've seen has had "5" written in black on the knob in the middle of the Sam sticker. He's broken two bats in half (a Sam and an M9) and likely cracked at least one more Sam bat. His bats also don't show much use -- once a bat looks like it's been used a while, he seems to show up with a new one.

Also, a quick note about jerseys. I've been told (by reliable sources) that Albert is wearing a size 50 with a straight hem and 2006 year tagging (no other tags). This season, Cardinals jerseys do not have name plates -- the names are sewn directly onto the jersey back. Also, the new Busch Stadium patch is being worn on the home jerseys only.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com

worldchamps
05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks Jeff, that is awesome info. Have you been able to see him using bats with other players names??

Great info!!!

Birdbats
05-09-2006, 11:52 AM
It's tough to see the barrel end of the bats well enough to read the name. The labels are obvious, even from a distance, and there often are closeups of his face and hands while batting, so you can see the knobs. But I can't say with any certainty what names are on the barrels. It is possible the X-Bat might belong to someone else -- the number on the knob was very small and didn't necessarily look like a "5". Hoping to get a better look tonight. I also noticed Molina using a natural X-Bat last night. Anyway, for the time being, I'm assuming he's been using his own models.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com