PDA

View Full Version : Ebay 1977 Steve Carlton Phillies-ouch!!

hblakewolf
06-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Current offering on Ebay, "1977 Phillies game worn home Carlton jersey"

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-USED-STEVE-CARLTON-1977-Set-1-CY-YOUNG-JERSEY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a 2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c29 3Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZi tem3ca264c1f9QQitemZ260422550009QQptZLHQ5fDefaultD omainQ5f0QQsalenotsupported

The first 4 shots are those from the Ebay jersey. The next 4 are those from my legit, game worn Carlton jersey.

Wrong size #'s. The 2 is larger than the 3 and is also sewn below the bottom of the 3.

Wrong Wilson tag. This tag is post 1980. Likewsie, Carlton wore a size 46 jersey, not 44. My photo of the Wilson tag further down below is strictly to show the correct Wilson tag, not the size.

Wrong zipper. It should be a metal Talon brand, not white plastic.

Incorrect vertical arch and letter style, especially the T

Shots from a correct, game worn Carlton jersey:

The seller has been advised of these issues, and a reply will be posted if received.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

suicide_squeeze
06-05-2009, 12:07 AM
That "Carlton" nameplate is horrendous.

I don't believe Steve, upon having that jersey presented to him to sign, was having it presented to him as being one of his gamers. If he had turned it over and looked at the nameplate, he would have chuckled....not to mention commenting on the fact that he was thinner than he remembered while playing for the Phillies.

MikeM
06-05-2009, 03:48 AM
Not to mention on the back of the fake one, the "3" and "2" of "32" are so close together that they're almost touching each other.

Not a very good fake at that...

helmets
06-05-2009, 05:06 AM
That "Carlton" nameplate is horrendous.

I don't believe Steve, upon having that jersey presented to him to sign, was having it presented to him as being one of his gamers. If he had turned it over and looked at the nameplate, he would have chuckled....not to mention commenting on the fact that he was thinner than he remembered while playing for the Phillies.

Yes, I'm sure he would have chuckled knowing exactly how his nameplate looked from a jersey that he may have worn 32 years ago. Good Grief...

skinsfan0521
06-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Yes, I'm sure he would have chuckled knowing exactly how his nameplate looked from a jersey that he may have worn 32 years ago. Good Grief...

haha I agree... I'm certainly not as involved in this stuff as a lot of people are on here, but I know that most athletes that I talk to aren't very aware of all of their uniforms and helmets, etc. They basically get given to them by the equipment manager and they use them. End of story.

Not to say that there aren't those few people who really remember every little detail about their items (and maybe Carlton is one of them), but I doubt that the back nameplate is one of them. It's not like a bat that he looks at every time he gets up to bat, a glove that he uses and looks at hundreds of times a day... it's on the back of his uniform and he may or may not have EVER seen it. And in addition to that, especially not something that he wore 30+ years ago... that's a long time to remember details about a uniform.

Also (a little OT), it seems to me that even if an athlete inscribes "game used" it barely gives it any more authenticity than with no inscription. It's something that I've kind of always thought and one of the guys (Lampson, Taube, Bushing) in those videos posted the other day discussing authentication said the same thing. A lot of athletes will just sign whatever you ask them to sign, they don't care if it's really a GU item or not.

Obviously, those are just my opinions, but I feel they're pretty accurate. :)

-Brian

sportscentury
06-05-2009, 08:52 AM
I have met and talked at length with Steve Carlton on several occasions. Terribly nice guy, but he is quick to make one thing clear: He couldn't possibly care less about game used equipment (including his own) or sports collectibles of any kind. He conisgned all of his stuff years ago to Mastro and never thought about it again.

TNTtoys
06-05-2009, 09:22 AM
I first saw this jersey on ebay in 2007 -- it's the same seller who was trying to sell a Randy Johnson Expos jersey for $60,000.00. I believe the Carlton jersey was listed at about $25K.

He has come down in price since ;)

But seriously, putting aside the fact that one of the two items is questionable, what does anyone have to gain by putting something on ebay for such a farcical price and then relisting it over and over for many years? The only thing this appears to benefit is ebay's bottom line.

skinsfan0521
06-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Only thing that I could think of is that he's just hoping that one day a sucker will come along and buy it for his asking price not knowing any better.

I've seen some pretty worthless things (not just talking sports memorabilia and cards either) on eBay go for a ridiculous BIN just because people don't know the true value. And it costs less than $5 for the "gamble" that somebody will bite on it.

Plus, if you listed it at .99 people would assume that it's crap (even if it were legit) just simply because of the value that you're putting on it. It's all just a big mind game with eBay buyers & sellers.

-Brian

sox83cubs84
06-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Aw, c'mon, Howard...we know you want this jersey. After all, it never hurts to have an extra shimmying rag around for cleaning your car.;)

Dave M.
Chicago area