PDA

View Full Version : ebay seller feedback

skipcarayislegend
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
For every 10 things I sell on ebay, I'm only getting feedback for 3 or 4 at most, even though I leave positive feedback for the buyers. Anyone else seeing this too?

gameu08
06-08-2009, 11:51 AM
yes happens to me all the time. Nothing you can do and I always leave feedback for them expecting it in return but never happens.

eisenreich8
06-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Hey Skip,

This is not the answer you will want to hear, but my intentions are sterling: don't let it get you down. In 10 years plus of eBaying, I have had everything happen to me from great to awful, and I came to the conclusion some time ago that people are what they are. Some are basically done with you as long as they sent the payment/got the item/got your payment/sent the item. Some leave it 1-2 months later, some never.

Personally, it annoys me when someone asks me for feedback, as I always do leave it, and some folks seem anxious that I leave it one or two days after the auction ends. Ah, but that was the old days.

I found now that I want to get what I pay for, and send what the buyer paid for, and everything else just ain't worth getting stirred up about. I don't even keep track of who adds to my total anymore, as long as it grows.

BULBUS
06-08-2009, 12:09 PM
For a while now, I only leave fedback after the buyer leaves feedback. Seems to work as it seems like I get 7 or 8 out of 10 leaving feedback. I think some buyers see that they received the feedback, sometimes before they get the item, and they forget or don't care about leaving feedback in return.

sox83cubs84
06-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I nearly always leave feedback, but usually let incoming winnings accumulate for 3-4days and then knock 'em all out at once.

One silly feedback story: I have bought baseball cards (60s and 70s) from a good guy who has been knon as a major dealer for almost 30 years. Not once, but TWICE, I have gotten a reminder to leave feedback before the item I won even shows up in my mailbox!:rolleyes: Calm down, OK?

Dave M.
Chicago area

otismalibu
06-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Remember back when eBayers could leave feedback, even if no transaction had taken place. People were exchanging feedback to get their numbers up.

skipcarayislegend
06-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I've noticed that too, Bulbus. The positives seem to roll in faster when I don't do anything.

I hear you, eisenreich8. I just find it a little annoying. It's part of what ebay is these days I guess.

Deadbeat buyers is another problem that's gotten worse. Prior to all the changes to the feedback system I might've had one person that didn't pay in eight years, if that. I've had four in the past two months, and three were buyers with a decent transaction history. The sad thing is I really don't sell that much stuff. Ebay's unpaid item strike policy against buyers is a joke. It's like their version of double-secret probation. A GUU friend and I were talking about this recently and he's seen the same thing.

bigtime59
06-09-2009, 10:43 AM
I've tried waiting to leave feedback until I've received it.
I've tried leaving it as soon as payment was received.
It doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
What frustrates me to no end is the stupid star system. I'm getting killed on shipping "stars" even though the flat shipping rate is there for you to see before you place your bid! I simply don't see the point of bidding on something and stealth bitching about the shipping cost through the star system. It makes no sense to me. (Well, actually it does. Ebay has fetishized low or free shipping--they want to make sure they touch every penny you get all three times--and people have come to expect sellers to give it away.)

TNTtoys
06-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I too have noticed that out of every 10 sales I make, I receive about 3 or 4 feedbacks. It is frustrating, because I leave a feedback for every single item I receive without exception. This system only will work in the way it was designed if the users do their part... but I guess that's too much to ask for.

Jags Fan Dan
06-09-2009, 05:52 PM
I always leave feedback. But I'm old school, been on eBay since 1998. I still believe that the seller should leave me feedback first, as they had my money a good while before I had my item. Those were the old days. Now most sellers seem to have the 'tit for tat' mentality and won't leave their buyer feedback until the buyer leaves feedback for them. I find that annoying. But like I said, I am old school.

10thMan
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
545 100% Positive, over 1300 Transactions, about 10 years. I still leave Feedback for every Transaction, most don`t, at least in my experience. Not sure what else to say about Ebay that hasn`t already been said. Always one guy on here that wants to hammer peoples opinions..."Bet we still use Ebay" etc, blah blah blah...

Yeah, it`s just not what it used to be.

Sean

xpress34
06-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Like a lot of you, I have been on eBay since the beginning...

As far as feedback goes, I have two steadfast rules I have always followed - in the past and now:

As a Seller, I always leave feedback IMMEDIATELY as soon as Payment is received. I figure the Buyer has done their part of the deal.

As a Buyer, I ONLY leave feedback if the Seller leaves me feedback after I have paid. Again, as a Buyer, once I have paid - I have held up my end of the transaction.

Overall, if you leave me feedback, I will always leave you feedback. As far as the stars - except for a few rare cases - I always leave 5 stars on every category.

Those rare case come about when a Seller charges me for Priority Mail, etc and then sends my item in a cheap Bubble Mailer 1st Class for a 1/4 of the price they charged me for shipping - and you have NO RECOURSE except for the Feedback area.

Just my .02

- Chris

suicide_squeeze
06-10-2009, 11:20 PM
I've noticed that too, Bulbus. The positives seem to roll in faster when I don't do anything.

I hear you, eisenreich8. I just find it a little annoying. It's part of what ebay is these days I guess.

Deadbeat buyers is another problem that's gotten worse. Prior to all the changes to the feedback system I might've had one person that didn't pay in eight years, if that. I've had four in the past two months, and three were buyers with a decent transaction history. The sad thing is I really don't sell that much stuff. Ebay's unpaid item strike policy against buyers is a joke. It's like their version of double-secret probation. A GUU friend and I were talking about this recently and he's seen the same thing.

Actually, and sadly, it's more of a statement to what society is these days. The quality and level of moral standards has slipped.....and I think a lot of our posts call attention, directly and otherwise, to that fact.

It's sad, and I hope someday something redirects it back to the way it seemed to be......but I for one won't be holding my breath. I'll just be doing my part to make things better.

hiramman
06-12-2009, 09:32 PM
As a seller, I always leave feedback as soon as I ship the package. I leave positive feedback and then email each buyer telling them that their package shipped. I also tell them that I left them positive feedback and hope they will do the same once their package arrives. Once that is done, I dlete them off my sold list. I don't watch to see if they leave me feedback or not. There's nothing I can do about it, so why worry about it.

As a buyer, I wait until I receive the item to leave feedback. I always leave feedback as soon as it arrives.

David
06-13-2009, 01:27 PM
As a seller, I usually give my feedback all at one time. Say, on a Wednesday, I go through and give feedback to the finished transactions. So I hope no one is judging me by my pinpoint accuracy in time.

David
06-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Especially if you are a small time seller, it's in your long term interest to be be honest, prompt, polite, give feedback where deserved and overall do a good job. Not only will you get return buyers, but you occasionally see posted here and on other boards "Has anyone dealt with XYZ? I'm thinking of buying from this seller and want some feedback." If you've been a good, honest seller, you will likely get someone who posts in return: "I've bought from him before with no problems" or "I've bought from him more than once once, and was happy with all the transactions."

skipcarayislegend
06-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Deadbeat buyers is another problem that's gotten worse. Prior to all the changes to the feedback system I might've had one person that didn't pay in eight years, if that. I've had four in the past two months, and three were buyers with a decent transaction history.

Make that five. Of the two things I sold last week, one was "purchased" by a deadbeat.