PDA

View Full Version : What Are People Thinking?

BULBUS
05-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Check out the bids on this Mike Alstott game used shoe (1)!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bucs-game-worn-shoe-worn-and-signed-by-FB-Mike-Alstott_W0QQitemZ8808690830QQcategoryZ50119QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

Eric
05-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Wow-

After $310, it is a 2 bidder competition all the way up to $2025 with 8 days left!!

BULBUS
05-10-2006, 09:27 AM
yeh, even 310 is high for 1 alstott cleat. you see auctions like this from time to time when 2 people get carried away. i wonder how often the transactions are made when this happens? the good thing about this auction is that it is for charity.

trsent
05-10-2006, 09:36 AM
People often pay way more than normal when they are getting a tax write off. Sorry if you folks have issues with people giving to charity, but don't think your shoes are now worth $4000.00 for a pair (double the bid on one, right?) because NFL Auctions is getting a premium for an item that someone will use for a tax write off.

BULBUS
05-10-2006, 09:53 AM
who has issues with people giving to charity? whenever i go to a charity event, i always pay more than what something is worth beacause it goes to charity. even if these bidders are only bidding because the money is going to charity (for a tax write off), 2000 + for an alstott cleat is extreme. i would rather give that amount to a charity where i know how the funds are being allocated and buy an alstott cleat elsewhere. i think these bidders are just off their rockers!

trsent
05-10-2006, 12:26 PM
who has issues with people giving to charity? whenever i go to a charity event, i always pay more than what something is worth beacause it goes to charity. even if these bidders are only bidding because the money is going to charity (for a tax write off), 2000 + for an alstott cleat is extreme. i would rather give that amount to a charity where i know how the funds are being allocated and buy an alstott cleat elsewhere. i think these bidders are just off their rockers!

Wait a second, how do you know they don't know where the funds are being allocated to make that comment? I don't think they know there is a market outside NFL-Auctions so they bid out of this world prices for something they find really cool.

Then again, I'd rather have a LOA from NFL-Auctions that Bob's House of Cards to go with my IRS tax write-off letter.

The description clearly states the charity involved:

"Proceeds to benefit the Children's Cancer Center
“The Children’s Cancer Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing children who have cancer or chronic blood disorders and their families with the emotional, financial and educational support necessary to cope with their life-threatening illnesses”."

I wonder if the under-bidder will receive a 2nd chance offer for the other shoe!

BULBUS
05-10-2006, 12:51 PM
they also state:

"Net proceeds from this auction will be donated to fund the activities of NFL and Players Inc charities unless otherwise noted within the item description."

the key words being NET proceeds. they do not disclose a percentage or costs invloved with running these auctions. i dont know, i'm very leary about giving to charities that do not disclose the percentage of every dollar that actually goes to the charity. i'm sure nfl auctions is on the up-and-up, but there have been some real horror stories of certain charities only giving a small percentage of the funds raised to the charity they are raising money for. hey this post has gotten away from the game used auction category :D

trsent
05-10-2006, 02:53 PM
they also state:

"Net proceeds from this auction will be donated to fund the activities of NFL and Players Inc charities unless otherwise noted within the item description."

the key words being NET proceeds. they do not disclose a percentage or costs invloved with running these auctions. i dont know, i'm very leary about giving to charities that do not disclose the percentage of every dollar that actually goes to the charity. i'm sure nfl auctions is on the up-and-up, but there have been some real horror stories of certain charities only giving a small percentage of the funds raised to the charity they are raising money for. hey this post has gotten away from the game used auction category :D

Ok, they specifically mention which auction the proceeds are going to in the eBay auctuion. They do not disclose the precentage, but if you asked I bet you would recieve a reply.

People bid based on how they want an item and figure they will get a tax write off, and then people come on a forum that these bidders do not even know exist because they are not your everyday game used collector and talk about how they are overpaying.

This thread has hit its end, I do not need to worry about how people are giving to charity and you think they should buy the shoes elsewhere and give to the charity separately.

trsent
05-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Did I miss anything?

otismalibu
05-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Ahhhh c'mon...who edited the thread?

Sure, I'd read all the posts. But there were a couple that were still an enjoyable read the 2nd and 3rd go round.

Greg

Eric
05-10-2006, 08:41 PM
No more fighting, gang.
Eric