PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com Value Of Bonds HR Baseballs

Eric
05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Here is an interesting tidbit from Darren Rovell's always insightful blog about sports business and collectibles which can be found here
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2439054&searchName=rovell_darren

The worth of No. 714 and 715

posted: Tuesday, May 9, 2006 | Feedback (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/mailbagESPN?event_id=8170)

I've been getting a lot of e-mails about this, so I went to Michael Barnes, who has become the broker of almost all the noteworthy home run balls. Barnes brokered deals for Bonds' No. 73, McGwire's No. 70 and Sammy Sosa's No. 66, among others. Barnes advises that anyone who catches these hold on to them because the value probably won't go down over time (unless MLB decides to add an asterisk at some point). Barnes believes the value of the ball will be determined by the number of home runs Bonds ultimately ends his career with. If Bonds doesn't beat Aaron, Barnes reasons that No. 714 and No. 715 will be valued in the $25,000 to $50,000 range. If Bonds does surpass Aaron, home run balls number 755 and 756 are likely to be in the six-figure range, with the latter -- the new record -- possibly being worth more than $1 million. These are all guesses because the balls likely will be auctioned off, which means all it takes is a bidding war for the price to go up.

Recent HR ball prices
Player HR No. Amount
Mark McGwire 70 $3 million
Hank Aaron 755 $600,000 to $700,000*
Barry Bonds 73 $517,500
Sammy Sosa 66 $175,000
Barry Bonds 70 $60,375
Mark McGwire 63, 64, 67, 68 $57,500 each
Barry Bonds 600 $46,304
Sammy Sosa 500 $37,000
Mark McGwire Final HR (583) $25,000

*Private sale, estimated.

allstarsplus
05-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Great post. It is amazing in hindsight that the McGwire 70 sold for $3,000,000.

I noticed the Bonds 700 HR ball wasn't on the list which sold on that Overstock.com website for $804,000+, and then Sotheby's sold it last year in an auction for $85,000+. The projection of what 715 will sell for shows further deterioration from that price level.

yanks12025
05-10-2006, 02:23 PM
I just came up with this. You would have to be retarded to pay that much for bonds 714 and 715 or 756 because just think in less then 10 years A-rod will mostly brake hanks record maybe. The only reason someone payed 3 million for Marks ball is because they thought no body would ever brake that record and then look years later barry bonds broke it.

suave1477
05-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Yanks I totally agree with what your saying I have been saying that for years. "What does it matter what Bonds does, Arod is going to break whatever Bonds does anyway"

Yanks here is the kicker though, recently in an interview concerning the home run matter, AROD said he might not even play that much longer, he said he might retire in the next 3 or 4 years.

trsent
05-10-2006, 02:49 PM
I just came up with this. You would have to be retarded to pay that much for bonds 714 and 715 or 756 because just think in less then 10 years A-rod will mostly brake hanks record maybe. The only reason someone payed 3 million for Marks ball is because they thought no body would ever brake that record and then look years later barry bonds broke it.

Todd MacFarlane bought the McGwire ball because he has more money than he knows what to do with. There is money in comic books!

mr.miracle
05-10-2006, 02:51 PM
While ARod and Pujols both possess the amazing skills to assault these records, 10-15 years is a long time and a lot can happen over that time period. While it is fun to speculate what a player will ultimately do in their career, look at examples like Jimmie Foxx who basically ran out of gas at 34, McGwire and Sosa were both pretty much cooked at 36 (perhaps due to reasons beyond normal ageing) and those are just three examples. It is really hard to say for certain if these players will ever reach these stratospheric numbers. Much will depend on whether or not the game remains at a high level of interest to them going forward. Players like ARod and Pujols both of whom were in the majors a fairly early ages may decide to go another direction or just get tired of playing. However, if Bonds comes back next year as his agent is suggesting, short of every pitcher walking bonds at every at bat, their is no way he will not break Aaron's record. In fact his agent suggested he may go to the AL to DH and go for 1000 home runs. As ridiculous as that sounds would anybody put it past him if for no other reason than to piss people off.

allstarsplus
05-10-2006, 03:20 PM
While ARod and Pujols both possess the amazing skills to assault these records, 10-15 years is a long time and a lot can happen over that time period. While it is fun to speculate what a player will ultimately do in their career, look at examples like Jimmie Foxx who basically ran out of gas at 34, McGwire and Sosa were both pretty much cooked at 36 (perhaps due to reasons beyond normal ageing) and those are just three examples. It is really hard to say for certain if these players will ever reach these stratospheric numbers. Much will depend on whether or not the game remains at a high level of interest to them going forward. Players like ARod and Pujols both of whom were in the majors a fairly early ages may decide to go another direction or just get tired of playing. However, if Bonds comes back next year as his agent is suggesting, short of every pitcher walking bonds at every at bat, their is no way he will not break Aaron's record. In fact his agent suggested he may go to the AL to DH and go for 1000 home runs. As ridiculous as that sounds would anybody put it past him if for no other reason than to piss people off.

Mr. Miracle is right on point. Look more recently at a guy named Ken Griffey Jr. In 1998, many had him projected to 800+ career Home Runs.

suave1477
05-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Allstar and your point is?

I dont know if you noticed Griffey Jr is at 536 and had a Great comeback season last year with 35 HR'S. He is having a rough start this year but if he can stay healthy for the remainder of the year he could have another and if he wanted to gun for the Home Run Record all he needs to be is a DH and he will if not break the record come pretty dam close.

yanks12025
05-10-2006, 04:17 PM
If you have three million to spend on a baseball i think your retarted why dont you give that to people that need it. To homeless people or to a charity. I just think thats stupid. And i cant see A-rod retireing in 3 or 4 years. But if he does then he does hey look at all the money he has.

trsent
05-10-2006, 04:19 PM
If you have three million to spend on a baseball i think your retarted why dont you give that to people that need it. To homeless people or to a charity. I just think thats stupid. And i cant see A-rod retireing in 3 or 4 years. But if he does then he does hey look at all the money he has.

Why don't you call Todd and ask him?

mr.miracle
05-10-2006, 05:32 PM
With Griffey's injury history and luck, he would trip himself coming out of the on deck circle and tear a hamstring and rip up his ACL and be done for another year. At his current pace Griffey would have to average 35 homers for the next 6.5 years to reach Aaron. Will this happen, in a word NO. Don't get me wrong I like Grif but based on his injury history there is no reason to think he will stay consistently healthy into his late 30's and early 40's to make a run at this record. The gosh sakes, the guy has pulled hammies running from first to second base. Not going to happen.

Brett

allstarsplus
05-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. is now 36 1/2 years old and came into this season with 536 career HRs and has averaged 23 HRs a year since he joined the Reds in 2000. He did hit 35 HRs last year as he played in 128 games so Griffey can still hit a bunch of HRs if he stays fairly healthy.

If he became a DH, maybe he could make a shot at 755+. As a position player he most likely won't hit 800 career HRs as many thought he may when he had 398 HRs at the age of 29.

mr.miracle
05-11-2006, 08:17 AM
And perhaps most important, he is on the freakin DL again right now. I love Grif, but he just cannot stay healthy. He will be 37 in November even assuming he comes back this year and puts up say 30 more homers that will leave him with 568 for his career. Again, at a pace of 35 homers per year it would take about 5.5 seasons to break Aaron's record. He would be 42 years old. If he averages 30 per season it would take one more year, he would be 43 years old. Is it impossible? Never say never, but based on the past five years and his health, if he could not stay healthy at 32, there is little reason to believe he will be healthy enough at 40 plus to really make a run at this record. Although based on his penchant for injuries at some point soon he must go to the AL to DH if he is to make any type of run at Mays, Ruth, Bonds, Aaron etc.

Brett

suave1477
05-11-2006, 08:40 AM
I agree!!!

Eric
05-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Article published May 10, 2006
Holy historic home run, Batman! Quickly, to the Bat kayak
Patient group waits in McCovey Cove for Bonds' 714th

SAN FRANCISCO - When Barry Bonds steps to the plate during the Giants' current homestand, a cast of characters in kayaks and other flotation devices will be waiting in McCovey Cove, hoping to snag one of his next two home runs.

The Kayak Krazies and other Giants fans will be bobbing along in force this week. One or two of them possibly stand to collect a piece of history and a substantial financial windfall.

"I'm here all the time," said the man in a kayak wearing a Batman mask, who identified himself as San Francisco resident Jay "Batman." "This season, I plan on being here every game."
Batman hasn't missed a game this season and was present for all but six games in 2004. He didn't visit the cove as frequently last season, when Bonds was on the disabled list. Batman is a celebrity of sorts. He's been highlighted on Giants telecasts, and he appeared in an episode of "Bonds on Bonds." Several fans shouted greetings at him as they walked along the deck behind the right-field wall Monday at AT&T Park.

"Hey, Batman!"

"Hello, citizen."

Larry Ellison of Fairfield is another well-known regular among the kayakers. Ellison snagged two of Bonds' most-famous home runs - No. 660, which tied Bonds with his godfather, Willie Mays, for third on the all-time list, and No. 661, which put him behind only Babe Ruth (714) and Hank Aaron (755). Ellison gave home run No. 660 to Bonds, who rewarded him with custom jerseys, bats and tickets. Ellison sold No. 661 to a collector for $17,000.

Ellison puts a lot of thought behind his work. He has it down to a science. He positions himself strategically in the water, knowing the limits of his blue raft and the hitter's tendencies.

"This (raft) can turn from side to side, but it's not as quick in distance," Ellison said. "If they land perpendicular to you, you probably can't turn quickly enough to get it. I come to a lot of games during batting practice to get a feel for where to position myself."

Ellison was inside the right-field foul pole and fairly far from the deck when he grabbed Bonds' home runs.

"He rarely pulls it down the line, but he could next time," Ellison said.

Gary Faselli of Stockton collects memorabilia and has been going out to McCovey Cove for three years. He snagged a foul ball that Bonds hit upon his return from the disabled list late last season. He also owns game-used equipment of Bonds and other players.

"I keep track of the players and where they hit it," Faselli said from his kayak. "I come to batting practice sometimes. You've got to pick your spot and stick with it."

Others in the water will be there for the experience, such as Norm and Whit Peterson, who enjoyed a father-son excursion to the cove Monday. Norm Peterson, who was visiting from Logan, Utah, and Whit Peterson, a Concord resident, were all smiles as they dipped their oars into the water and glided along the calm surface.

"This is our first kayak experience at the ballpark," Whit Peterson said. "We were hoping Barry was going to play, but he's not. Any other home run would be fine, though."
Fremont residents Emily Clark and Alison Nielsen paddled alongside friends and relatives. They were disappointed Bonds didn't play Monday against the Astros, but they had fun anyway.

"We came with the hope he'd play," Nielsen said. "We're disappointed he's not going to play."

Clark had never been in a kayak before.

"It's pretty fun," she said. "My arms are sore."

Bonds said he looks forward to improving the lifestyle of the fan who secures either of his next two home runs, but opinions vary as to how valuable those baseballs will be on the open market.

"I hope it's worth $10million," said Santa Rosa resident Tom Gaulden, who balanced his Chihuahua-fox terrier mix, Peanut, on the bow of his kayak.

Ellison believes the Ruth-tying and go-ahead home runs might be worth $500,000.

"It's hard to say," Ellison said. "It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it."

Batman said you could "write your own ticket with that one."

Joe Orlando, president of PSA/DNA Authentication Services of Santa Ana, believes those guesstimates are far-fetched.

"Seven figures is out of the question," he said. "Six figures is doubtful, based on what we've seen."

Orlando said Bonds will add to his legacy by catching and surpassing Babe Ruth, but the home-run record still belongs to Hank Aaron, with 755. Orlando questions the significance the next two home runs will have in the minds of collectors. He also said Bonds' lack of popularity, the swirling BALCO controversy and baseball's investigation into his alleged steroid use could factor into the price. Orlando said public image affects the value of collectibles. For instance, Mickey Mantle's memorabilia outsells Willie Mays', though both had magnificent careers and are indelible fixtures in the game. Mantle was more popular than Mays, especially after their playing days.

"In the long run, I believe these balls won't have the weight of 755," said Orlando, whose 15-year-old company examines an average of 100,000 pieces of memorabilia each month. "It'll be interesting to see, but Babe's number isn't the record. I think the Ruth chase has been somewhat overhyped."

Nevertheless, the scene at McCovey Cove will be colorful during Bonds' chase. The Kayak Krazies at McCovey Cove are an added attraction at AT&T Park, whether there for profit or just for fun.

What it's worth

Top prices paid for sports memorabilia:
• Baseball: $3 million (Mark McGwire's 70th home run from 1998 season)
• Baseball bat: $1.26 million (Babe Ruth's first home run at Yankee Stadium in 1923)
• Baseball card: $1.26 million (Honus Wagner)
• Single-signed baseball: $150,000 (Ruth)
• Double-signed baseball: $98,000 (Ruth and Lou Gehrig)
Source: PSA/DNA Authentication Services

suave1477
05-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Just to Update Everyone MY BOY KEN GRIFFEY JR IN HIS FIRST GAME BACK OFF THE DL - HITS THE WINNING HOME RUN IN THE 11TH INNING