PDA

View Full Version : Why is there a $500 limit on the forum

spartakid
06-10-2009, 01:13 PM
I know that there's a $500 limit when listing an item on GUU, and I was wondering why this is? I'm not sure if that is due to some sort of law, but it seems like it inhibits the quality of items so to speak. I was just curious, because I personally like to see higher end items, even if I can't always afford them. I can't really think of a downside to removing the limit, but maybe there's something I;m not thinking of. Again, if this is due to some sort of outside law or rule, then my apologies. thank you, Ricardo

dcgreg25
06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
The limit was installed to move the higher end items to the GUU store/auctions and out of the for sale section. The bottom line seemed to be a mixture of quality control, liability as well as economic considerations for the auction/store. I agree it would be nice to have higher end items in the classified section but respect the reasoning behind the decision for the limit. If you search the forum you can find some of the old threads on the topic.

Gameusedfan1
06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I think the forum is trying to protect itself from bad sellers that try to rip people off. I believe that they dont want to be blamed for this even though I don't feel that they are responsible for a sellers actions. With the $500 limit, it minimizes the damage if something like this were to happen. Not sure if that is correct, but thats just kinda what I figured. Would love to hear the correct reason if I am wrong though.

Vintagedeputy
06-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Its a comparable figure to the cost of airfare, hotel and meals when you have to fly somewhere and beat a seller senseless after you find out that what he sold you was fake. :)

Oh, and its got to do with the GUU auction thing too.

Gameusedfan1
06-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Its a comparable figure to the cost of airfare, hotel and meals when you have to fly somewhere and beat a seller senseless after you find out that what he sold you was fake. :)

Lol, I think this clearly makes the most sense, and I like this reason this best.

Vintagedeputy
06-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Lol, I think this clearly makes the most sense, and I like this reason this best.

ok then, let's go with that one....its my favorite too!

spartakid
06-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Ok, that makes sense, but the problem is that there must be some sort of deterrent with the GUU store, because although I don't have any physical proof, I know that there would be more items above the limit bought and sold if the limit were removed. As far as the liability, I'm sure it already is stated in the user agreement that GUU isn't liable for any damages that one may incur. It seems like it would add a lot to the hobby if the limit were removed. The other problem with the store is that aren't the auctions and stuff only art certain times of the year? So what about the other months that nothing's running. What if the limit was moved to like 2K, then you could have higher end items such as fielding gloves, which I've been trying to acquire, but my search has been limited because they are higher end and often would exceed the limit in value. Can one of the administrators chime in on this and could it be considered that the limit be raised to 2K (just a ballpark figure). It could also be posted, if it's not already, that GUU bears no responsibility, and that could cover the forum from problems that may arise. Ricardo

dcgreg25
06-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Spartakid, here is the link to the thread where this was discussed at length last fall when the move was made. It should offer some context.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=17949&highlight=classified+limits

Mr.3000
06-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Is there a link to a thread where it's discussed that members are permitted to have multiple active accounts/ID's?

spartakid
06-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Spartakid, here is the link to the thread where this was discussed at length last fall when the move was made. It should offer some context.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=17949&highlight=classified+limits

Ok, I think that clarifies my questions. I suppose we do all have option to do higher end deals off the forum as was stated in the thread you referenced. thanks, Ricardo

JETEFAN
06-10-2009, 04:31 PM
GUU has no liability no matter how much the item is listed for. With a $500 limit, the better, higher end items that you would want to list here would end up in the store or auction.
Just my opinion,

George

sportscentury
06-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Is there a link to a thread where it's discussed that members are permitted to have multiple active accounts/ID's?

Exactly.

spartakid
06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Exactly.

Am I missing something here? I don't get it.

sportscentury
06-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Am I missing something here? I don't get it.

Ricardo - Mr.3000 was referring to poster #5 (going these days by Gameusedfan1, who has had a number of different GUU userids in order to pursue various interests that violate GUU rules). Mr.3000's post was sarcastic -- like several of us, he is wondering why this user has not been banned. I hope this clarifies things.

spartakid
06-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Ok, I got ya. I did notice that Aaron had a few accounts, none of which it appeared he was discreetly hiding.....

ndevlin
06-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Ok, I got ya. I did notice that Aaron had a few accounts, none of which it appeared he was discreetly hiding.....

His post got deleted last week when he listed all of his Steiner bats. Guess they finally decided he was a dealer. Within 10 min. of that happening, he opened up a new GUU account and changed his email and relisted the same bats. Well, that got deleted as well. He was also promoting his own items from Ebay when someone asked about him as a seller, using this new username also.

Im a bit surprised myself that he didnt get any disciplinary action. That probably would have gotten me banned, but, I dont make the rules.

Kinda crappy with the whole new username if ya ask me.

mr.miracle
06-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Ricardo - Mr.3000 was referring to poster #5 (going these days by Gameusedfan1, who has had a number of different GUU userids in order to pursue various interests that violate GUU rules). Mr.3000's post was sarcastic -- like several of us, he is wondering why this user has not been banned. I hope this clarifies things.

Reid:

Do you know what the other usernames are of this individual? How do you guys catch these things? I must just not be up on the daily happenings on the forum.

ndevlin
06-10-2009, 10:40 PM

Oh, and does he go by Aaron, because that's not what's in his emails.

Mr.3000
06-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Reid:

Do you know what the other usernames are of this individual? How do you guys catch these things? I must just not be up on the daily happenings on the forum.

I am aware of two current, active accounts. Sheffield11 and Gameusedfan1.

Gameusedfan1
06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
No longer using Sheffield11, Wanted to start a fresh name as a dealer/collector.

sportscentury
06-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Reid:

In the June Pick-Ups thread, posts 54 and 55 assert that Anthony (not Aaron) has been using three userids: Sheffield11, vipsportsgems, and now gameusedfan1. Like I stated before, Ken Golem would be proud! Vipsportsgems is his "business" in which he sells game used items (including ones of greater than $500 value) and lists his business website in his GUU signature (also clearly against the rules). The guy clearly has no interest in following any of the rules or respecting other GUU members ... and he seems to enjoy posting in the threads that call him out on his flagrant rule-violating conduct, almost as if to taunt folks. I'm not sure why Chris and Eric have not done anything. I know a number of users have emailed them about this person, and usually they are very good about making GUUers accountable. Hopefully it is just a matter of time.

Gameusedfan1
06-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Like I said, I am no longer using my previous name. I will admit that I am a little over ambitious but I don't really see the need to attack me here. I only posted 3 jerseys on the pickup threads, all three that I plan on keeping unless I get a good amount of money for. Thats just how I am with collecting, everything can be bought at a price. I am not just listing everything that I have, Only the few things that I would keep. I enjoy the forum and most of the people on here, and I have a great relationship with a ton of people on here. So I am sorry that you feel the way you do. I won't post anymore in the pickup or classified threads even if I plan on keeping something. I would however like to keep base with other threads that have nothing to do with my items because I enjoy all of this. Does that sound fair to all?

5kRunner
06-10-2009, 11:27 PM
In the June Pick-Ups thread, posts 54 and 55 assert that Anthony (not Aaron) has been using three userids: Sheffield11, vipsportsgems, and now gameusedfan1. Like I stated before, Ken Golem would be proud! Vipsportsgems is his "business" in which he sells game used items (including ones of greater than $500 value) and lists his business website in his GUU signature (also clearly against the rules). The guy clearly has no interest in following any of the rules or respecting other GUU members ... and he seems to enjoy posting in the threads that call him out on his flagrant rule-violating conduct, almost as if to taunt folks. I'm not sure why Chris and Eric have not done anything. I know a number of users have emailed them about this person, and usually they are very good about making GUUers accountable. Hopefully it is just a matter of time.

For the record, post #54 is mine. However, the accusation was first thrown out in this thread.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26273

I just wanted to make people aware that is was the same person, since everyone was worried vipsportgems had stolen pics and was selling jerseys that weren't his.

I'm not sure why I had to make everyone aware of it, and why Anthony/Gameusedfan1/Vipsportgems/Sheffield11 couldn't.

Gameusedfan1
06-10-2009, 11:36 PM
For the record, post #54 is mine. However, the accusation was first thrown out in this thread.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26273

I just wanted to make people aware that is was the same person, since everyone was worried vipsportgems had stolen pics and was selling jerseys that weren't his.

I'm not sure why I had to make everyone aware of it, and why Anthony/Gameusedfan1/Vipsportgems/Sheffield11 couldn't.

Sorry I didn't really think it needed to be annouced but thats my fault. I didn't make hard to figure out though. Nothing to hide.

sportscentury
06-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Sorry I didn't really think it needed to be annouced but thats my fault. I didn't make hard to figure out though. Nothing to hide.

It's just one B.S. post after another.

Gameusedfan1
06-10-2009, 11:46 PM
It's just one B.S. post after another.

What more do you want man? Im just trying to make everyone happy here. I have perfect feedback on and off ebay and have nothing to hide, what exactly would changing my do anyway? I just dont collect Sheffield anymore and that name didnt make sense anyway.