PDA

View Full Version : does a championship season add more value to game used that season?

costas
06-12-2009, 02:37 PM
does a team winning a championship increase the value of its game used items for that season, from preseason, regular season, playoffs? I sometimes see on Ebay jerseys where the seller emphasizes that it was used during the season the team won a title, but I don't really see the point of that since it would be the jerseys used in the Finals that should have more of a value and not preseason or regular season items.

spartakid
06-12-2009, 02:48 PM
I think it's certainly a positive, especially if it was used the postseason, but I don't think it greatly increases the value, if at all. Just a little bonus I think. Ricardo

David
06-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Yes. A collector would rather have a jersey, program, team photo or season ticked from a college team that went 7-4 than 0-11. And 11-0 would be better yet.

RJB44
06-12-2009, 08:58 PM
I wondered the same, as I have a 1981 Oakland A's Gold Wayne Gross jersey. Not only was it used during the A's run at the strike shortened ALCS, it was also a single season jersey.

Thanks

sportscentury
06-13-2009, 12:29 AM
does a team winning a championship increase the value of its game used items for that season, from preseason, regular season, playoffs? I sometimes see on Ebay jerseys where the seller emphasizes that it was used during the season the team won a title, but I don't really see the point of that since it would be the jerseys used in the Finals that should have more of a value and not preseason or regular season items.

Items from seasons in which the player or players who wore them performed particularly well always carry a premium. If they are from the regular season, they typically won't sell for as much as the Playoff and Finals items from the same year, but they still carry a premium as compared to items from seasons when the player or players did not play as well or achieve as much. If someone offered me one of Lefty Carlton's regular-season jerseys from 1980, I'd pay a lot more for it than I would for one of his 1981 gamers. In 1980, Lefty won the Cy Young and the Phillies won the World Series. In 1981, just a year later, neither of these achievements were realized. I believe most collectors would view this choice as a no-brainer.

David
06-13-2009, 12:48 AM
If I saw a cool looking circa 1905 University of Iowa football medallion, I'd look up their record for that year. I might buy the medallion either way because its cool and rare, but if the team went 8-0 I'd pay at least a bit more than if they went 0-8.

MSpecht
06-13-2009, 02:57 PM
My opinion is yes--if the item can be specifically dated to some milestone event or season. Here is an example. A few months ago I paid about 150 % of "normal market value" for a 1983-85 GU Tony Gwynn bat because:

The bat was specifically dated to a single order during the 1983-85 labeling period---August 23, 1984. The bat was hammered with use, including numerous Gwynn GU characteristics. The conclusion therefore was that the bat had been used alot by Gwynn during the last month and a half of the 1984 season (and possibly into the NCLS and World Series). 1984 happened to be a season in which Gwynn (and the Padres) appeared in his first World Series, Gwynn won his first of eight N.L. Batting Titles ( .351 BA), made his first All-Star appearance (prior to his use of this bat however), finished 3rd in N.L. MVP voting, and hit .368 in the NLCS. All-in-all, I thought the premium placed on it was reasonable and warranted.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

33bird
06-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Most definately. I know, as a collector, I target Bulls items from their championship years, Reds items from their 1975 and 76 championship years, and Celtic items from their championship years. Trust me, there are a lot of collectors out there that do the same. I know my Rose bat from specifically the 1975 season when the Reds beat the Sox and Rose was MVP in the WS, is a big money bat. If that same bat was from say, 1974, it would still be a great bat but wouldn't go for as much. I have Kerr, Kukoc, Salley, and Harper jerseys with Bulls coas from their championship years 96-98. They're all big money jerseys. Why? Because they're from those Bulls dynasty years. You can find all those 4 players jerseys for a few hundred dollars each from other years and different teams. I don't think there's any doubt that equipment from milestone seasons or events go for bigger money.