PDA

View Full Version : OT - Career change to Movie Star (LOL)

allstarsplus
06-13-2009, 09:50 AM
When Steve (Suicide Squeeze) did that thread about 15 minutes of fame, I was in the middle of auditioning for a new baseball themed movie starring Reese Witherspoon, Paul Rudd, Domenick Lombardozzi and Owen Wilson to be shot in several locations and many in and around Nationals Park.

The Director James L. Brooks made Owen Wilson a relief pitcher for the Washington Nationals!!! :D

I had to get a part in the movie and was hoping to be the 60 year old bullpen coach or be one of the 25 year old relief pitchers. The pickings were slim for "on film" spots so I had to settle for a spot as an "extra" and be one of the more recognizable of the 500 extras.

My break came when I was one of the 2 extras to hold one of the big red hulk hands that hold a beverage and placed in camera view. I don't want to give away the secret of the script but lets just say waking up at 3:30AM yesterday to get on the set at 5AM and work to 7:30PM to shoot 4 total scenes that may total 2 to 5 minutes in the film was a lot of fun plus I got paid $7.15 per hour minus and hour for lunch!!!!

After the release of the film, I will post more photos that I can't post prior to the release.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/sports/baseball/nationals/The-Park-Stays-in-the-Picture.html

tigerdale
06-13-2009, 09:54 AM
how cool is that!!! when is the scheduled release of the movie??

jdr3
06-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Andrew,

Didn't you do adult films under the name Buck Naked?

-Jim

xpress34
06-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Andrew -

Very cool!

When I was at Spring Training this year, I just missed getting Owen Wilson's autograph - he was in Surprise working out with the Rangers and people there had already said that he was working out with Pro Teams to get ready for a part as a Baseball Player in an upcoming movie...

All the best -

Chris

allstarsplus
06-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Andrew -

Very cool!

When I was at Spring Training this year, I just missed getting Owen Wilson's autograph - he was in Surprise working out with the Rangers and people there had already said that he was working out with Pro Teams to get ready for a part as a Baseball Player in an upcoming movie...

All the best -

Chris

Chris - He did hang out with the Rangers in Spring Training and then with the Washington Nationals in the bullpen.

They had racks for actual Majestic made Washington Nationals gear. I need Larry Pellicioni working on getting me movie worn jerseys especially #33 Reynolds!!!!

Andrew,

Didn't you do adult films under the name Buck Naked?

-JimYes, that was me!!!

how cool is that!!! when is the scheduled release of the movie??Supposed to be October I guess to be around the playoffs/World Series!!!

allstarsplus
06-16-2009, 08:12 AM
More pictures of Owen Wilson as #33 Reynolds

Vintagedeputy
06-16-2009, 10:19 AM
The more I look at how skinny Wilson is, the more I realize there's no way in hell that I'd fit into that jersey!

rose14
06-16-2009, 11:44 AM
That's cool.

I was an extra in "A League of Their Own". A large part of the movie was filmed in a stadium in Huntingburg, Indiana. I was living in Evansville, IN at the time and was picked to be an extra. I drove up there every morning for a week. I had be up there every morning at the crack of dawn to get into costume for a scene that we didn't film for hours later. It's all about hurry up and wait in the movie business. I ended up being in a couple of crowd scened in the movie. I was called back to be in some still shot scenes but I decided it wasn't worth it (now I wish I would have done it) and turned them down. I would have most likely had some close-up scenes in the movie if I had done those scenes. I do remember the catering on the set was unreal. I did get to meet and talk to Tom Hanks off set for a minute and he was pretty nice. He was pretty cool as between takes he would joke around with the crowd.

The best experience was that I got to spend some "quality time" several evenings after shooting with Freddie Simpson. She was one of the actresses playing on Hanks' team. She is the blonde in the backrow pictured 3rd from the right. She was pretty cool girl but never accomplished anything in Hollywood. I know she was in a couple of beer commercials back around that time. Wow, those were the days. What I would give to be young again.

cordovacollector
06-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Rose14 ~

Now that is sweet! My favorite movie of all time. I had the pleasure of being at Harmon Killebrew's 65th birthday party and if that wasn't a dream in itself, I got to meet Pepper Paire Davis and Lefty Hohlmeyer. Part of the entertainment was when they sang the theme song for, "The All American Girls," - which Pepper had written for the AAGPBBL and they featured in the movie.

Were you able to take any photos while they were filming, etc. You need to capture a still from the movie and show us where you are in the crowd!

suicide_squeeze
06-16-2009, 01:54 PM
What a cool thread.

Andrew, I'd kill to be in a baseball movie.

To think back to all of them that have been made, how amazing would it have been to have had a part in Bull Durham, or The Natural, or A League of Their Own?

You are lucky to have had (made) the time to be involved in the filming, no matter how small of a part. That is way cool!!:cool: Can't wait to see the movie.

suicide_squeeze
06-16-2009, 02:01 PM
That's cool.

I was an extra in "A League of Their Own". A large part of the movie was filmed in a stadium in Huntingburg, Indiana. I was living in Evansville, IN at the time and was picked to be an extra. I drove up there every morning for a week. I had be up there every morning at the crack of dawn to get into costume for a scene that we didn't film for hours later. It's all about hurry up and wait in the movie business. I ended up being in a couple of crowd scened in the movie. I was called back to be in some still shot scenes but I decided it wasn't worth it (now I wish I would have done it) and turned them down. I would have most likely had some close-up scenes in the movie if I had done those scenes. I do remember the catering on the set was unreal. I did get to meet and talk to Tom Hanks off set for a minute and he was pretty nice. He was pretty cool as between takes he would joke around with the crowd.

The best experience was that I got to spend some "quality time" several evenings after shooting with Freddie Simpson. She was one of the actresses playing on Hanks' team. She is the blonde in the backrow pictured 3rd from the right. She was pretty cool girl but never accomplished anything in Hollywood. I know she was in a couple of beer commercials back around that time. Wow, those were the days. What I would give to be young again.

I remember her in the movie. She did the splits in one scene.......kinda hard to forget that ..... :o :p

shoremen44
06-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Now I have to share my brief movie career...

in 1999 I was an Athletic Trainer for the Washington Sentinals... the team in the Movie "The Replacements" with Gene Hackman and Keanu Reeves

Pictured is the Sentinals coach and training staff, with Hackman's stand-in... I am second from the right...

5kRunner
06-16-2009, 02:27 PM
I was in a baseball movie a few years ago too. Here I am with my co-star Matt LeBlanc. :p

5kRunner
06-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Seriously, I am insanely jealous of you guys who have been in movies. Even as an extra, what a cool thing to be able to tell people.

cordovacollector
06-16-2009, 03:13 PM
I was in a baseball movie a few years ago too. Here I am with my co-star Matt LeBlanc. :p

Scott ~

That is wayyyyy cool! Do you have your movie-worn jersey for sale? LMK. And by the way, are you wearing lipstick in that photo? :eek: Are you related to Robin Williams?

By the way, all this movie stuff seems like a lot of monkey business to me. No big hairy deal.

allstarsplus
06-16-2009, 04:05 PM
What a cool thread.

Andrew, I'd kill to be in a baseball movie.

To think back to all of them that have been made, how amazing would it have been to have had a part in Bull Durham, or The Natural, or A League of Their Own?

You are lucky to have had (made) the time to be involved in the filming, no matter how small of a part. That is way cool!!:cool: Can't wait to see the movie.

I loved Field of Dreams (especially when I became a father), The Natural, 61*, Brian's Song, and The Rookie as my Top 5 favorites. I would have liked The Natural more if they were real MLB teams with fictional characters.

So I think I got 3 more seconds towards my 15 minutes Steve if my scenes aren't deleted scenes!!! I have had these opportunities before in my previous life and never did "extra" work but the chance to do it in a movie that includes baseballl and the Washington Nationals just has me giddy. My buddy who couldn't work a full week got offered an actual bullpen job in the movie and had to turn it down and he is so pissed.

Bert's pic is awesome and as i know Bert is a legend and great guy.

cordovacollector
06-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I loved Field of Dreams (especially when I became a father), The Natural, 61*, Brian's Song, and The Rookie as my Top 5 favorites.

Anyone else remember Bang the Drum Slowly? Another film to add to "favorite baseball movies" list. One of De Niro's first films.

allstarsplus
06-16-2009, 04:17 PM
For the movie buffs and people that have seen Something About Mary and other Farrelly comedies, the Farrelly brothers have now done a sports documentary film on Luis Tiant and it premieres soon.

It looks like it will be a great film documentary. http://www.hockfilms.com/

So I received an invitation yesterday to the Washington DC premiere:

Please see the attached invitation from The Farrelly Brothers & ESPN Films to an exclusive Red Sox Nation in DC Premiere of THE LOST SON OF HAVANA, a documentary film which chronicles the life of Cuban baseball legend Luis Tiant and his journey home to Cuba after 46 years in exile.The film is narrated by Academy Award Winner Chris Cooper and features interviews with George McGovern, Carlton Fisk, Peter Gammons and Carl Yastrzemski.

Meet Red Sox Legend Luis Tiant, Producers Bobby Farrelly & Kris Meyer and Director Jonathan Hock at the premiere.

cordovacollector
06-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Andrew ~

Can I be your date for the premier? ;)

allstarsplus
06-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Anyone else remember Bang the Drum Slowly? Another film to add to "favorite baseball movies" list. One of De Niro's first films.

Enjoyed the book!!!!

allstarsplus
06-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Andrew ~

Can I be your date for the premier? ;)

LOL. My wife is contemplating going, but if not I am taking offers and bribes! LOL

cordovacollector
06-16-2009, 04:27 PM
LOL. My wife is contemplating going, but if not I am taking offers and bribes! LOL

Bribe #1: I am bidding on some Jeter GU socks and an A-Rod GU jo..... :cool:

metsbats
06-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Great stuff Andrew! Congrats. I love baseball movies and can't wait for this one to come out now.

Larry Pelliccioni
06-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Now although I have over 30 credits on stage in community theater and have directed 4 plays I have never been in a movie.
I have however had a source for many years who has been very good about getting me uniforms and helmets from a number of movies including the Natural and both girl and Tom Hanks Rockford Peaches uniforms.
With over 200 movie worn jerseys to go along with all of my gamers I have been blessed.
My favorites are the brown jerseys (all 11) of the Mystery Alaska team.
I am glad to see Andrew make the big time...he is a totally great guy.
Larry Pelliccioni

cordovacollector
06-17-2009, 08:50 PM
I have however had a source for many years who has been very good about getting me uniforms and helmets from a number of movies including the Natural and both girl and Tom Hanks Rockford Peaches uniforms.

Please let me know if you can ever get more uniforms from A League of Their Own. Thank you.

dcrules01
06-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Congrats buddy I saw some of the photos on facebook..Ill definitely see this movie and when the dvd comes out ill buy 2 copies one for myself and one for you to autograph.Favorite movies sports related Brian's Song ,Remember the Titans, Eight men Out, Field of Dreams,Fever Pitch I could go on..Again congrats and also congrats on beating the Yankees I actually watched the bottom of the 9th...:D

WadeInBmore
06-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Andrew,

I am working on the film as a rigging electric. It was awesome to be at the stadium for the sunrise...we even had access to the locker room. It was wild. Can't wait to see the finished product...I'll be sad to see the work go though:(

kylehess10
06-18-2009, 02:00 AM
More pictures of Owen Wilson as #33 Reynolds

Andrew-

I'm guessing you're going to try to get Wilson's "game worn" jersey from the movie? :D