PDA

View Full Version : Tom Glavine Jersey (Hunt Auctions)

griffeyfan
06-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Any Braves experts willing to offer an opinion? I paused when I saw the size (42). Every Glavine jersey I've seen at auction was a size 46. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks.

https://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=12&lot_num=36&lot_qual=

sportscentury
06-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Any Braves experts willing to offer an opinion? I paused when I saw the size (42). Every Glavine jersey I've seen at auction was a size 46. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks.

https://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=12&lot_num=36&lot_qual=

Unattractive double signature in different colors on back. More importantly, though ... is it just I, or does it look like there are remains of neck tagging in the inside collar?

sox83cubs84
06-15-2009, 07:03 PM

I can't say unequviocably without seeing it, but the 42 doesn't turn me off to it. This jersey is 10 years old, and made by Wilson...a manufacturer whose sizing didn't balloon upwards in the 1990s to the extent of Rawlings, Russell and Majestic. I see the collar oddity you do, too...I know that Wilson Blue Jays gamers of the era carried collar tagging. Such tagging is not normal for the Braves Wilson gamers, but it's possible that such tagging was there, and might have been ripped out by Glavine. The tail tagging looks dead-on proper for a 1999 Braves home gamer. My approach would be to bid, with Hunt's being told that the sale would be pending 3rd party authentication. If you win, send it to MEARS or any Braves niche collector/expert whose opinion you feel comfortable with. The Forum has several of the latter.

Dave M.
Chicago area

sportscentury
06-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I can't say unequviocably without seeing it, but the 42 doesn't turn me off to it. This jersey is 10 years old, and made by Wilson...a manufacturer whose sizing didn't balloon upwards in the 1990s to the extent of Rawlings, Russell and Majestic. I see the collar oddity you do, too...I know that Wilson Blue Jays gamers of the era carried collar tagging. Such tagging is not normal for the Braves Wilson gamers, but it's possible that such tagging was there, and might have been ripped out by Glavine. The tail tagging looks dead-on proper for a 1999 Braves home gamer. My approach would be to bid, with Hunt's being told that the sale would be pending 3rd party authentication. If you win, send it to MEARS or any Braves niche collector/expert whose opinion you feel comfortable with. The Forum has several of the latter.

Dave M.
Chicago area

It looks like the neck used to have a tag, and that it was torn out. This is not the kind of oddity I'd be looking for in a Hall of Famer jersey. There was no mention of this in the item description. The auction will not come up for me now (perhaps they are doing site maintenance), but I remember that it stated that the jersey was completely original and unaltered. To then pay for third-party authentication on top of paying for a question mark wouldn't be that attractive a route to me. In addition, Glavine gamers are not that hard to come by.

suicide_squeeze
06-15-2009, 10:35 PM
I am not a "Braves" jersey expert by any means......but the "V" in "GLAVINE" looks bad to me.

It leans to the left, whereas it should be squared up being the center letter in the name.

suicide_squeeze
06-15-2009, 10:43 PM
.......and upon closer examination, I also don't like the spacing and placement of the "E" in relation to the "N".

The "E" appears a bit high, and tighter to the "N" at the top in relation to the bottom......not of professional quality IMO.

I wouldn't bid on it unless it could be picture matched........but that's just me.

griffeyfan
06-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. All great points to consider. I'm trying to keep the "emotions" in check and make a solid judgement on this one. I've been looking for a Glavine home Braves jersey since August!

Rudy . . . can you also offer any help/analysis. Thanks to all. Keep 'em coming . . .