PDA

View Full Version : OT: MLSB Tryouts. Anybody attending?

kylehess10
06-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Is anybody on here attending any of the MLSB tryouts? For those who have never heard of it, it's tryout camps for Major League Baseball. I attended their tryout held in Montgomery, Alabama today at Paterson Field (former minor league field). It's a fairly simple tryout......run a 60 yard dash....field 4 balls, and hit about 5 balls, and that's it. It takes quite a few hours though to get through everyone. Here's a schedule of the MLSB tryouts:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/about_mlb/tryout_us.jsp

chakes89
06-16-2009, 01:51 AM
A guy that I know may be going to the one that will be held in Ohio

murfsteve25
06-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Kyle- How did you do with the wood bat?

I didnt attend an MLSB tryout, but when I was in high school about 4 years ago I attended a Reds tryout at 5/3rd field in Dayton and an Orioles tryout in Cedarville. The Reds tryout was pretty awesome, all the coaches were in their Reds gear and had their clip boards and stop watches in hand. There were even a few former minor leaguers participating in the workout. The Orioles one was a joke though. I went to some camp type thing that was ran by a Brewers scout at the Wright State Raiders baseball field which had some pretty top notch high school talent.

allstarsplus
06-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Kyle - How close was it to what you saw in the movie "The Rookie" when he attended a try-out as a pitcher?

kylehess10
06-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Kyle- How did you do with the wood bat?

I'm used to wooden bats so I don't have any problems with them. I play in an adult wooden bat league so I'm done with the metal. I only use wooden bats and it feels a lot nicer.

Kyle - How close was it to what you saw in the movie "The Rookie" when he attended a try-out as a pitcher?

I remember in the movie they would have radar guns and things like that; I didn't see any of that. Just a few people with their clipboards and stopwatches. One of the guys was with Team USA for the WBC and the rest were with MLB.

rose14
06-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Kyle, what league do you play in? I play in the MSBL which is pretty much in every larger city in the U.S. It was started back in the early 1990's by Steve Sigler (father of Jamie Lynn-Sigler who played Meadow Soprano in the Soprano's). The league has really grown over the years.

I play in the Louisville, KY 25 and over league. We have 10 teams in our league and we play in several tournaments throughout the country. We also play in the Fall Classic in Florida every year where teams from all over come and play. There are some international league that even come in and play.

kylehess10
06-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Kyle, what league do you play in? I play in the MSBL which is pretty much in every larger city in the U.S. It was started back in the early 1990's by Steve Sigler (father of Jamie Lynn-Sigler who played Meadow Soprano in the Soprano's). The league has really grown over the years.

I play in the Louisville, KY 25 and over league. We have 10 teams in our league and we play in several tournaments throughout the country. We also play in the Fall Classic in Florida every year where teams from all over come and play. There are some international league that even come in and play.

My league is called the MABL, for 18+. We only play Wednesday nights at high schools around the area.