PDA

View Full Version : Hideki Matsui streak likely done

mr.miracle
05-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Just off the wire. Looks like Matsui's streak is history unless he runs back from the hospital and takes the field on a gurny.

Matsui injured; games played streak likely over

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Hideki Matsui (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7042)'s consecutive games streak is almost certainly over -- even though he touched the ball Thursday night.
Hideki Matsui (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7042)http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/7042.jpgLeft Field
New York Yankees

Profile (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7042)2006 SEASON STATISTICSGMHRRBIROBPAVG3251921.353.261
Because of a quirky baseball rule, Matsui's streak of 518 games played probably ended when he hurt his left wrist trying for a diving catch in the first inning of the New York Yankees (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nyy)' game against the Boston Red Sox (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=bos).
Mark Loretta (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5504), Boston's second hitter, sent a blooper into left field, and Matsui landed hard on his wrist in an unsuccessful bid to make the catch. He walked off the field with a trainer and was replaced by Bernie Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4695).
Because Matsui did not play a full half-inning, his streak would end as soon as Thursday night's game becomes official.
Baseball rule 10.24 states: "A consecutive game-playing streak shall be extended if the player plays one half-inning on defense or if he completes a time at-bat by reaching base or being put out."
Matsui played 1,250 consecutive games with the Yomiuri Giants in Japan from 1994 to 2002 and in every game with the Yankees since joining the team in 2003.
He holds the major-league record to start a career, surpassing Ernie Banks' run of 424 consecutive games played for the Chicago Cubs (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=chn) from 1953-56.
Matsui's streak was the longest for the Yankees since Lou Gehrig played in 2,130 straight games from 1925-39, which was the major-league record until Cal Ripken of the Baltimore Orioles (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=bal) broke it in 1995.

mr.miracle
05-11-2006, 09:26 PM
This streak is no longer likely done, It is just plain done. Matsui is now chopped suie.

suave1477
05-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Well I am praying to God that they let Bubba Crosby take over Hideki's position until his return so Bubba can show his worth!!!

skipcareyisfat
05-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Bubba's a Yankee.

suave1477
05-12-2006, 10:16 AM
What do you means bubbas a yankee? Hes been a Yankee for 2 years!!! AND DAMMIT HE DESERVES THAT SPOT!!! LOL LOL:D

skipcareyisfat
05-12-2006, 10:43 AM
What do you means bubbas a yankee? Hes been a Yankee for 2 years!!! AND DAMMIT HE DESERVES THAT SPOT!!! LOL LOL:D

I know, I know. I couldn't help myself! The irony of a guy named Bubba playing for the Yankees didn't occur to me until just then. Isn't he kind of old to still be a prospect? :)

suave1477
05-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Skipcarey here is the thing that bogle true yankees fans minds that truley love the game to play with your heart.

Why did they bring in Damon, ok he produces hits but did we really need another hit producer NOOOOOOOO. Now how about his fielding decent but he doesnt have a great arm. Plus his shoulder is very questionable. which tells me he doesnt have that much longer if he takes a good slam up against the wall. GUESS WHAT he slammed up against the wall last night and now there questioning if his shoulder is injured. CAN I CALL IT OR CAN I CALL IT.

Crosby - Young player, plays from the heart. has many more years to grow. Great Fielder, decent hitter. He can be a better hitter if he had more field time. Proved his potential hitting worth last night.

Salary difference -
DAMON 54 MILLION FOR 4 YEARS - IF HIS SHOULDER HOLDS UP
CROSBY - $400,000 A YEAR - CAN GET THE SAME OUT OF HIM AS DAMON IF NOT MORE AFTER TIME

GIVE CROSBY A RAISE TO 1 MILLION A YEAR AND HELL BE HAPPY. OVER 4 YEARS THATS 4 MILLION

You do the math of how much we would save and get the same production if not better with Crosby.

mr.miracle
05-12-2006, 12:39 PM
This is a perfect example of why I would never ever take Brian Cashman's job. I would assume that all of these decisions come from Steinbrenner's circle of influence out of Tampa whomever those insiders are. From a baseball perspective many of the Yankees moves over the past five years just don't make sense. They overpay for talent that is past its prime can we say Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, and or often injured, Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown again to name a few. That Brown move was just a disaster. For some reason the Yankees are obsessed with the BIG NAME player even though in certain cases something much less would do just fine. Instead of these ridiculous moves in pitching they have made the past few seasons, how about getting a Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder, Matt Morris etc, probably paying about the same as what they were to Brown or Johnson and having a much younger pitcher in the prime of their career. I take that back, the Brown contract was so ridiculous that they could have probably had Mulder and Hudson for Brown's contract. The Yankees should probably go out and trade for Barry Bonds right now, stick him in left until Matsui comes back and then permanently move him to DH. :D

mr.miracle
05-12-2006, 12:42 PM
On top of that I would sign Roger Clemmens out of retirement, see if they can find Kevin Brown and resign him for three more years at $20 mil per year and work out a trade for Jamie Moyer. That way they could have the geriatric pitching staff of MLB. Every time the Yankees play a home game they would have to send Steinbrenners personal Limo to the retirment home to pick up one of their pitchers for the game.

skipcareyisfat
05-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Whoa! Either you have a HUGE Bubba Crosby collection or I'm just not following your logic. Since when have the Yankees cared about saving money? I think you'd have a hard time convincing Steinbrenner that Crosby's a better fit than Matsui. I hate the Yankees, but Matsui's about as consistent as anyone could possibly ask for. And really, Jason, what's the benefit to you if the Yankees save a few million here or there? Cheaper tickets? Better beer?

And Damon...that IS the guy you want in center. He's more clutch than just about anyone on that team. God help you if A-Rod gets a meaningful hit in October.

By the way, what ever happened to Mike Kekich?

Skipcarey here is the thing that bogle true yankees fans minds that truley love the game to play with your heart.

Why did they bring in Damon, ok he produces hits but did we really need another hit producer NOOOOOOOO. Now how about his fielding decent but he doesnt have a great arm. Plus his shoulder is very questionable. which tells me he doesnt have that much longer if he takes a good slam up against the wall. GUESS WHAT he slammed up against the wall last night and now there questioning if his shoulder is injured. CAN I CALL IT OR CAN I CALL IT.

Crosby - Young player, plays from the heart. has many more years to grow. Great Fielder, decent hitter. He can be a better hitter if he had more field time. Proved his potential hitting worth last night.

Salary difference -
DAMON 54 MILLION FOR 4 YEARS - IF HIS SHOULDER HOLDS UP
CROSBY - $400,000 A YEAR - CAN GET THE SAME OUT OF HIM AS DAMON IF NOT MORE AFTER TIME

GIVE CROSBY A RAISE TO 1 MILLION A YEAR AND HELL BE HAPPY. OVER 4 YEARS THATS 4 MILLION

You do the math of how much we would save and get the same production if not better with Crosby.

suave1477
05-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Skipcarey I never said Bubba was better then Matsui, I just said with Amtsui out Bubba has more of a chance of getting Field and Hitting time. As far as Steinbrennre worried about saving money Iknow he doesnt care. I am just making a point about the out come of spending money wisely as far as Damon being clutch yes he is but Crosby can be clutch too if he had enough hitting time to keep himself warm. As far as the fans directly benefiting from the money DOUBT IT, but here is a thought it you paid Bubba 1 million a year it leaves 23 million free cash to get Clemens who wants 20 million a year with 3 million left over for prmotions for the fans to encourage them to come out to the park and more ticket sales.
HOW ABOUT THAT!!!!

Whoa! Either you have a HUGE Bubba Crosby collection or I'm just not following your logic. Since when have the Yankees cared about saving money? I think you'd have a hard time convincing Steinbrenner that Crosby's a better fit than Matsui. I hate the Yankees, but Matsui's about as consistent as anyone could possibly ask for. And really, Jason, what's the benefit to you if the Yankees save a few million here or there? Cheaper tickets? Better beer?

And Damon...that IS the guy you want in center. He's more clutch than just about anyone on that team. God help you if A-Rod gets a meaningful hit in October.

By the way, what ever happened to Mike Kekich?

mr.miracle
05-12-2006, 02:19 PM
As good as Clemens has been, I would be seriously concerned with a starting rotation of 43 yr old Clemens, 42 yr old Johnson, 37 yr old Mussina as the three anchors. This could spell postseason disaster if a couple of these guys get injured. However, it could also be a great success given their history and the amount of postseason experience they all bring to the table. I don't know when George will get it. Pitching wins championships yet he tries to put a MLB all-star team on the field at each position. For the past few years the pitching has been suspect at best with last year being a joke. The Yankees were signing up every pitcher who could throw a ball that was released by other teams just to try to put something of a five man rotation on the field. If I were big George instead of putting all that payroll into aging fielders like Shefield who is 37, Damon who probably has had his best days, Matsui who has a ton of mileage at 32, I would drop the dough to the pitching staff and spend 15 million per pitcher for 4 or 5 top quality starters who can give you 6 to 7 quality innings every game. The Yankees have had horrible results from the middle relief the past five years. Here is a thought, get solid starters who can get you to the eighth and then you only need one or two innings to get to Rivera and it is lights out. Steinbrenner loves to spend money just not wisely.

both-teams-played-hard
05-12-2006, 02:21 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/both-teams-played-hard/mattsuhey.jpg
The Matt Suhey streak has been over for years!

mr.miracle
05-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Now that, is very, very funny:D

skipcareyisfat
05-12-2006, 02:31 PM
I was just listening to the Dan Patrick show and he and Olberman were actually talking about the value of Matsui and the possibility of having Bubba Crosby flll in. Apparently Matsui's defense has turned suspect recently and Crosby, they say, may be the better defensive player. But no one knows if Bubba's offensive will be enough. Then Olberman made a crack about Steinbrenner hunting down Sammy Sosa and signing him in the absence of Matsui and Sheffield. That would be sooooo classic. Man, I'd hate to be Cashman right now.

skipcareyisfat
05-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Good one BTPH!!!!

mr.miracle
05-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Crosby has survived thus far in the majors because of his defense which is known to be very good and the fact that he can play all of the outfield positions. If he would get a chance to play everyday he might show some offense. George might have some trouble tracking down Sammy, there is an article on ESPN.com today about a reporter that went looking for him and she is still looking. He seems to have dropped of the face of the earth besides be occassionally spoted in some really hip Miami Beach night clubs that is. I think they should bring in Sosa. All he needs to do is cork some bats, hit the weight room and buy some roids and he could be back up and running in no time.

mr.miracle
05-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Apparently there is a national day of mourning in Japan. Over 4 million Japenese citizens called off sick from work because they are so broken up over Matsui missing a game. They believed that he was the only player who had a legitimate chance of breaking Cal Ripken world record of consecutive games played and are probably right because no sane person would ever try. Given the fact that Matsui would have needed to play another 5.5 years to reach 2632 the odds of that happening were pretty slim. The Japenese really have an obsession with that record given that Sachio Kinugasa held the world record at 2216 prior to Cal breaking it in 1996. If they go back and check Matsui's pee wee league streak and include that from when he was 6 years old and started playing I believe he would stand at 2387 right now. Almost made it to the all-time mark but then again, almost is only good enough in horse shoes and hand grenades.

suave1477
05-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Well I am glad people here can see my point about Crosby, he hs definite potential with the right opportunity.

allstarsplus
05-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Apparently there is a national day of mourning in Japan. Over 4 million Japenese citizens called off sick from work because they are so broken up over Matsui missing a game. They believed that he was the only player who had a legitimate chance of breaking Cal Ripken world record of consecutive games played and are probably right because no sane person would ever try. Given the fact that Matsui would have needed to play another 5.5 years to reach 2632 the odds of that happening were pretty slim. The Japenese really have an obsession with that record given that Sachio Kinugasa held the world record at 2216 prior to Cal breaking it in 1996.

Along the same lines, there is a link on the Japanese baseball forum on this too.

http://japanesebaseball.com/forum/thread.jsp?forum=33&thread=11664

Now it is totally hypothetical "if" Matsui made it to 2633 by combining his Major League experience in Japan and US, I guess it could be a World record, but would still be tough to compare to doing it just in the MLB. Cal is still the man!!!!

If you start combining Major league experience between Japan and the US then that puts to question in my mind that you can't have it both ways such as being a Rookie of the Year like Ichiro in the US after playing Major ball in Japan for several years.

mr.miracle
05-13-2006, 10:36 AM
That is a great point, accomplishing 2633 straight games no matter where done would certainly be quite a feat especially in light of the fact that the Japenese league plays a 132 game schedule if I am not mistaken. Based on playing 162 games it would take 16.25 years to break it as it is. It is very, very, very unlikely that this record will be approached again. A player that played all their games in Japan would need to play 20 consecutive years to reach the mark. As it was, how many people actually knew that someone in Japan had bested Gerhig's mark of 2131 previous to Ripken? Until Cal actually passed Gerhig's mark this was never even brought up. Although MLB flew Kinugasa over here when Cal broke his record of 2216, it still did not obviously carry near the weight of Gerhig's mark and it obviously should not have. While the rest of the world is catching up to the USA in many sports, the fact remains that we still by far and away have the very best pro leagues in Baseball, and Basketball.