PDA

View Full Version : Sosa named in PED samples from 2003

allstarsplus
06-16-2009, 03:52 PM
So the infamous 104 samples that nabbed ARod has now alledgedly stung Sosa.

Anyone surprised?

33bird
06-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Are you serious??? Sosa used Roids? Who would have guessed that??? LOL.

mr.miracle
06-16-2009, 04:39 PM
I simply cannot believe it, not Slammin Sammy :rolleyes:

Vintagedeputy
06-16-2009, 04:40 PM
and to think, we all thought that he was hiding cork in his bat!

The cork must have been the stopper to the bottle of steroids.

mr.miracle
06-16-2009, 04:50 PM
[quote=Vintagedeputy;146951]and to think, we all thought that he was hiding cork in his bat!

The cork must have been the stopper to the bottle of steroids.

Birdbats
06-16-2009, 05:00 PM
In other shocking news, Bill Gates is rich, Shaq is tall and Bill Clinton likes girls.

mr.miracle
06-16-2009, 05:15 PM
In other shocking news, Bill Gates is rich, Shaq is tall and Bill Clinton likes girls.

http://www.getsmileyface.com/new/smileys/7.gif

allstarsplus
06-16-2009, 05:25 PM
BREAKING NEWS, we interurpt our regularly scheduled broadcast to tell you that Sammy Sosa has denied all charges of using Performing Enhancing Drugs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4264062

Rboitano
06-16-2009, 05:35 PM
I guess the big names are slowly going to leak out, Im really wondering who else is on there?

sportscentury
06-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Interestingly, I don't think this will affect his GU prices at all. We have all assumed he used roids for so long now, that the big hit to the market for his stuff took place long ago. His stuff has been worth very little for several years now... but in the late 1990s (and even very early 2000s), it was better than gold.

allstarsplus
06-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Interestingly, I don't think this will affect his GU prices at all. We have all assumed he used roids for so long now, that the big hit to the market for his stuff took place long ago. His stuff has been worth very little for several years now... but in the late 1990s (and even very early 2000s), it was better than gold.

I agree. His items are already a fraction of what they used to be.

Interestingly I think that McGwire items have been going back up little by little probably since the big HR hitters are now all in the same boat. Mark was largely singled out for his "I don't want to talk about the past".

metsbats
06-16-2009, 06:36 PM
The only news worthy aspect of this story is that Sammy still thinks he going to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame!

Jags Fan Dan
06-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, good luck to any current or recent 500 HR guy not named Griffey on getting into the hall.

jbsportstuff
06-16-2009, 07:33 PM
I would think that the Big Hurt would have a reservation as well.

suicide_squeeze
06-16-2009, 08:12 PM

I thought Billie-boy only copped to liking "hand-dipped cigars"??:eek:

suicide_squeeze
06-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Interestingly I think that McGwire items have been going back up little by little probably since the big HR hitters are now all in the same boat. Mark was largely singled out for his "I don't want to talk about the past".

And adding to that thought, Andrew, McGwire was also "out" of baseball in 2003, so his name will not surface on the "infamous 104 list".

Look.....this was a sad era, and I really believe the injustice of "leaking" just the couple or so of the names from this list is silly.

Just PUT IT OUT there, let everyone digest it, and let history takes it course. Let the BBWAA figure out how they feel about the issue.

In the end, I think the best of the era still get inducted, right or wrong as it may be, because they were the best of their generation.......er....to a point:

They were the best of "their generation of the players who consciously chose to cheat"......so we'll never really know truly who the best of that decade and a half really was......and that's a sad fact. And one hell of a lesson to learn.

It's time to move on, and the only way that happens is to "release the list" for public consumption. Everything heals in time......that doesn't die from the original "injury". Baseball will survive this.

TNTtoys
06-17-2009, 10:58 AM

A fraction of what they used to be is an understatement!!!

I recently won this one on ebay. It was so cheap, I couldn't resist. It was the G157 White Sox model that had been on ebay before; I believe it might have been part of a lot of several bats in its first go-around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=230347366947

I just cannot believe how low Sosa's gear has gone. Back in 1998-2000, if you were to try to tell me that "10 years from now, a game used, autographed Sosa bat would sell for $125," I would have probably fell over laughing!

TNTtoys
06-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Sosa seems to have taken a far bigger hit than most of the aforementioned players. It might be a fact now that he cheated, but he did more for the game than just put up numbers (and few could argue that his run from 98-02 has ever been paralleled). He was an ambassador of the game. He endeared himself to the hearts of not only the American public but to baseball fans worldwide. He brought fans back to the stadiums at a time where baseball's popularty was at an all time low.
And that said, the way he was treated in years to come was despicable. I can't believe how many times I heard the phrase "he wore out his welcome in Chicago."

Anyway, while I'm on the "soap box"...
I have been a fan of the game for the last 30 years and this so-called "steroid era" was a big part of my own fandom. It has created some very memorable experiences for me and for countless others. To look back on an era where so much was done to renew interest in the sport of baseball in America would really be doing the game an injustice. If those that govern the sport now really want to punish these guys for what they did 10 years ago, perhaps, they should have practiced what they preached a long time ago -- oh yeah, I forgot, they were making money hand over foot. Why should they...

suave1477
06-17-2009, 11:14 AM
MORE SHOCKING NEWS!!!!

1) U.S. Just put a man on the moon
2) Steven Speilberg set to direct E.T.
3) Yankees just signed Dave Winfield
4) Every breath you take - hits #1 on Billboard

Texans
06-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I wish all the names come out. Im tired of a new name every couple of months but it wasnt a shock about Sosa though. Its time for baseball to move on but it cant until this steriod iss ue is put to rest. Im tired of it

Jojo

cjclong
06-17-2009, 12:43 PM
This was a list that by agreement was not supposed to be revealed. Then the
Feds got it and now names are leaking out. I hate it that some of the players I liked (and still do) used the PED's. But I also have no respect for people who are leaking the names of people on a list that is not supposed to be available to the public. In some ways they are as bad or worse.

rj_lucas
06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
But I also have no respect for people who are leaking the names of people on a list that is not supposed to be available to the public. In some ways they are as bad or worse.

Right on, brother. Last time I checked, violation of a non-disclosure agreement was a violation of state and Federal laws. Where's the Congressional hearing?

Nobody is defending the actions of these players. But I'm having a hard time swallowing these smear campaigns whose sole purpose is too sell more books/newspapers/fill in the blank.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

David
06-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Fans often say, "It wasn't against the rules, so there was nothing wrong with steroid use?"

And my response always is, "If there was nothing wrong with it and they were breaking no MLB rules, then why do all these players who used steroids deny ever using them? If these players felt there was nothing wrong or cheating with using steroids, wouldn't they freely admit their use? That they bend over backwards to deny, lie about it before congress and sue for libel would-- even when there are no MLB rule or legal reprocussions for telling the truth--, shows these players do believe there was something wrong about their steroids use."

cordovacollector
06-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Fans often say, "It wasn't against the rules, so there was nothing wrong with steroid use?"

A posible answer to those "fans", how about because they were breaking the law? Weren't these drugs prescription only and were obtained illegally? I would think the law of the land has more authority behind it than a non-rule of MLB. MLB shouldn't have had to have rules that covered things that were against the law anyway.

David
06-17-2009, 07:18 PM
It is true that that MLB can't okay something that is illegal. MLB has no standing to make illegal drugs "legal within MLB rules," just as it has no standing to legalize prostitution or change immigration law. Thus, if steroids without a prescription was illegal in the US, it should go without saying that steroids without a prescription was illegal within MLB.

David
06-17-2009, 07:36 PM
My previous post should demonstrate that the lack of text concerning steroid use in an MLB/Union agreement didn't make steroids "legal according to baseball rules." No matter what they text said or didn't say, MLB and the Union can't make steroids "legal according to baseball rules." The agreement also didn't mention torture and false imprisonment, but that didn't mean torture and imprisonment were "legal according to baseball rules." It is not a situation where anything and everything not mentioned in the agreement is "legal according to baseball rules." There are lots and lots of things illegal in Major League Baseball that weren't covered by the agreement.

TNTtoys
06-17-2009, 08:07 PM

This is because most fans are ill-informed about the rules. Steroids WERE against the rules and have been for a very long time.

In all fairness to this "argument", certain supplements like Andro were not against the rules. I also don't believe that HGH was either.

David
06-17-2009, 10:05 PM
That is true. Andro was legal to use in the US. I'm not sure the history of HGH.

A lot of the stuff is prescription medication, meaning it's legal to use if you have a valid prescription and illegal to use if you don't.

tacprc
06-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Sosa gained an unfair advantage against his competitors and must now suffer the consequences.

Of course, this is all really sad. I remember that I was transfixed by the HR chase bewteen Sosa and McGwire in 1998.

TNTtoys
06-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Sosa gained an unfair advantage against his competitors and must now suffer the consequences.

Of course, this is all really sad. I remember that I was transfixed by the HR chase bewteen Sosa and McGwire in 1998.

Let me play devil's advocate. If you think that it is fair that this happens to him now, why not level the playing field and release the other 102 names?

Because I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of names in that list that you would have never expected, nor players that have excelled the way Sosa did. A lot of Jason Grimsleys per se.

Somehow, this has become a witch hunt to release the names of the superstars... but what about the "decent" players who became "pretty good" as a result of PEDs. They get a pass? Hell, half of them were probably on the receiving end to Sosa's 60+ home runs each year...

tacprc
06-19-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't have a problem with what you are suggesting.

I want all of the names released, and all of the cheaters to be exposed and disgraced.

And I want all of the cheaters to rat out the other players who cheated.

David
06-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Sosa isn't in a position to complain about the illegal release of his name. If his concern was the rule of the law being followed, the public would have known about his PED use in 2005 when he told congress .

suicide_squeeze
06-19-2009, 08:37 PM
This was a list that by agreement was not supposed to be revealed. Then the
Feds got it and now names are leaking out. I hate it that some of the players I liked (and still do) used the PED's. But I also have no respect for people who are leaking the names of people on a list that is not supposed to be available to the public. In some ways they are as bad or worse.

As bad......I totally agree.

But so were the cheaters who knowingly took the leap to reap the fame, fortune, and benefits (like MONEY) that came with the cheating.....please don't lose sight of that fact.

I am a Sosa fan. I just like the guy. Can't help it. And I always knew he cheated.

Now that it's confirmed, it's a sad day for HIM. It doesn't even raise my eyebrows at this point.

I do believe the names should be exposed. I believe the paying public has a right to know.

I also believe the players Unions, and Donald Fehr, should be disbanded, and shot by by a firing squad, respectively. But that's just me.

Since a couple of the high profile names have leaked.....I think the only fair thing to do is release the whole list, let the "fall-out" occur, let the scorned then attack the ones guilty who are NOT on the list....then maybe we can get a bit closer to closure.

We'll never really know who the best players of this "era" were, because there were probably a whole lot MORE than the 104 that tested positive that actually used, but were able to escape the "list" (maybe by pure luck of their timing since the last time they used). But we need to have closure.

Having anything "hanging out there" only for a name or two to leak out every so many months is not a recipe for healing.