PDA

View Full Version : My heavily-trafficked website

grandpahoo
06-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Finally got my site (www.hoosfootball.com (http://www.hoosfootball.com)) up and running. The servers can barely keep up with the demand - there were 34 views at least count, 25 of which are probably from me. There's some game used stuff under "memorabilia," and I'll be adding more soon.

DrJ
06-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Demand was quite heavy, but I waited my turn and checked out your website - I like it, nicely done.

Anyone who takes the time to set up a site like yours deserves it to be looked at - I've been dreaming of setting one up for years and have never done it.

Thanks for sharing.

Dewey2007
06-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Finally got my site (www.hoosfootball.com (http://www.hoosfootball.com)) up and running. The servers can barely keep up with the demand - there were 34 views at least count, 25 of which are probably from me. There's some game used stuff under "memorabilia," and I'll be adding more soon.

Add one more view! It's a great looking site. I like the layout you did. Job well done!

grandpahoo
06-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I've been doing research and working on the site for 18 months or so. I still have a ton of information to upload, so this will continue to be a work in progress for the foreseeable future.

I added a few more game used items last night. Part of my motivation for doing this was to create a database that I could use when trying to determine whether items that purport to be "game used" are authentic. I'm eventually going to create a separate PowerPoint presentation for each season, with a description and photos of the uniform worn that year. That information is in the "uniform history" section.

Also, I just noticed that the page views are all the way up to 123! :eek:

karamaxjoe
06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
All you need is your website to get featured on Uni Watch or, better yet, ESPN and your views will sky rocket.

My website dragged along at about four or five hundred views for about a year. Once Paul Lukas put my site on his ESPN column, my views jumped up to nine thousand in a couple days. After that I got emails from all kinds of people asking about my stuff.

gatorcollector
06-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Love the site! Really well done. Of course, I'm partial to orange and blue. I might steal your idea about documenting the jersey specs for each year.

Karamax, how did you get Lukas to write about your site? Did you just write to him and say Hey, take a look at my site?

karamaxjoe
06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Karamax, how did you get Lukas to write about your site? Did you just write to him and say Hey, take a look at my site?

I would email him every once in a while when he talked about White Sox stuff. He did an article about teams wearing shorts and I emailed him to talk about my White Sox shorts. He was kind of shocked that I had a pair and he asked if he could feature them in his column. The rest is history.

Kid4hof03
06-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Great site! As a Cavs fan I just loved it. Now, any interest in selling any of the Hoos basketball stuff you got last year? Would love to get my hands on any jersey and warmup.

Abe

grandpahoo
06-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Great site! As a Cavs fan I just loved it. Now, any interest in selling any of the Hoos basketball stuff you got last year? Would love to get my hands on any jersey and warmup.

Abe

If I ever decide to sell you'll be the first to know. I've also picked up a bunch of baseball and soccer uniforms over the years.

Kid4hof03
06-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Very cool! Do you plan to expand the site to other sports someday? I would love to see UVA basketball and baseball uniforms. At this point my collection of hoops stuff is only alumni NBA jerseys and one pair of Othell Wilson used and signed shoes.

Abe

David
06-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I visited and it looked nice. My recommendation is that you put University of Virginia Football somewhere at the top or headline, so UVA fans can find it better in a search.

Also, a lot of counters count by the person not the times visited. So if a person visited 100 times during a day, it would count as 1.

Good luck. I've had a web site for over 10 years, and slow and steady momentum is the way to go. A little increase in content and visitors over a month may not seem like much, but regular increases add up over the long term.

Someone once asked about my sight, "How did you get so much stuff on there?" I said, "Because I've had the site for 10 years."

grandpahoo
12-01-2009, 12:08 AM
All you need is your website to get featured on Uni Watch or, better yet, ESPN and your views will sky rocket.

My website dragged along at about four or five hundred views for about a year. Once Paul Lukas put my site on his ESPN column, my views jumped up to nine thousand in a couple days. After that I got emails from all kinds of people asking about my stuff.

This was a great call. Paul gave me a shout-out on his blog and my traffic increase substantially.

(Here's the link to the UniWatch blog post: http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2009/09/09/anyone-who-posts-wanna-get-away-or-great-googly-moogly-in-the-comments-gets-banned-no-exceptions/.)

both-teams-played-hard
12-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Paul did a great write-up about my site in October...http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2009/10/14/history-lessons/
I got over 1,000 hits in a week.

Rob L
12-01-2009, 02:02 AM
Is it okay to add your website to the GU Collectors page on website? The GU Collector and GU Resources pages on my site receive alot of hits and might add to your site visits. Let me know.

grandpahoo
12-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Is it okay to add your website to the GU Collectors page on website? The GU Collector and GU Resources pages on my site receive alot of hits and might add to your site visits. Let me know.

Of course! That would be awesome.

grandpahoo
12-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Paul did a great write-up about my site in October...http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2009/10/14/history-lessons/
I got over 1,000 hits in a week.

Nice writeup and great site.

both-teams-played-hard
12-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Nice writeup and great site.

Thanks!:)

grandpahoo
12-01-2009, 04:15 PM

Your site is pretty great as well.