PDA

View Full Version : 1966 Yankees Road Gamer? Help needed pls

cjw
06-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Hi..I just recieved at the office today and would appreciate some feedback from Yankee collectors.

What have I got here?

It looks to be a 1966 Yankees road flannel jersey that may have been reccyled to the minors and used for a few more years. It has a MacGregor tagging (size 42) in the collar and under the button placket (Set 1 1966). Looks be all original, with #50 on the reverse. Also tagged with a small, square "55" tag in the collar. Has a 1969 100th Ann. MLB patch on the left sleeve, so I assume this may have been used by a Yankee farm club from at least 1967 to 1969.

I have done what research I can and their are a few similarites to the 1966 Mantle that HA auctioned off earlier this year. http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest-sports-collecting-news/mickey-mantle-jersey-survived-minor-league-detour.html

Specifically- the style and material looks right and the ink-added and faded. "66" on the tail is in a similar hand and in a similar place on both jerseys. However, the HA jersey is a WILSON and mine in a MacGregor. The HA jersey's button look grey and mine are cream. I have found a few 1966 images of various Yankees in theri road flannels and some seem to sport darker button, and some lighter. Either way - the button could have been replaced.

At first look don't see any evidence of a collar strip tag or name tag, like the one on the 1966 Mantle ...having been removed etc. The numbers don't look to have been altered either. Perhaps a black light would rule these possible alterations out?

I can't find out who may have worn #50 in 1966 for the Yanks...but a believe Spud Murray wore #55? http://www.yankeenumbers.com/playerslist.asp?psearch=1966

Did the Yanks have WILSON and MacGregor unis in this era? Could this have gone to the Oneonta Yankees like the Mantle? Was this made directly for a minor team? Any help would be aprreciated..thanks!

cjw
06-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Any Yankee flannel collectors out there?

suave1477
06-18-2009, 10:27 PM
I am by no means a vintage Yankees Jersey expert but I am a Yankee collector.

I am just going solely on the pictures you have posted, but that "55" tag looks bran new and the anniversary patch looks fairly new.

I would thinkboth of those from that many years ago should show some color discoloration.

I would try to see if you can see anything identifying those 2 things being added.

both-teams-played-hard
06-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi..I just recieved at the office today and would appreciate some feedback from Yankee collectors.

What have I got here?

It looks to be a 1966 Yankees road flannel jersey that may have been reccyled to the minors and used for a few more years. It has a MacGregor tagging (size 42) in the collar and under the button placket (Set 1 1966). Looks be all original, with #50 on the reverse. Also tagged with a small, square "55" tag in the collar. Has a 1969 100th Ann. MLB patch on the left sleeve, so I assume this may have been used by a Yankee farm club from at least 1967 to 1969.

I have done what research I can and their are a few similarites to the 1966 Mantle that HA auctioned off earlier this year. http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest-sports-collecting-news/mickey-mantle-jersey-survived-minor-league-detour.html

Specifically- the style and material looks right and the ink-added and faded. "66" on the tail is in a similar hand and in a similar place on both jerseys. However, the HA jersey is a WILSON and mine in a MacGregor. The HA jersey's button look grey and mine are cream. I have found a few 1966 images of various Yankees in theri road flannels and some seem to sport darker button, and some lighter. Either way - the button could have been replaced.

At first look don't see any evidence of a collar strip tag or name tag, like the one on the 1966 Mantle ...having been removed etc. The numbers don't look to have been altered either. Perhaps a black light would rule these possible alterations out?

I can't find out who may have worn #50 in 1966 for the Yanks...but a believe Spud Murray wore #55? http://www.yankeenumbers.com/playerslist.asp?psearch=1966

Did the Yanks have WILSON and MacGregor unis in this era? Could this have gone to the Oneonta Yankees like the Mantle? Was this made directly for a minor team? Any help would be aprreciated..thanks!

First, this is a sweet flannel. I agree the "66" looks to be in the same hand as the auction jersey.

Check the stitching of the letters and numbers. If someone was going to create a forgery, why would they use a spring training number like "50"?
Why would anyone create a #55 swatch?
Also, I believe the 100 year patch is from the era.

The shirt may have been recycled, but it looks to be a real Yankees shirt.
Ok Chris...did you find this at a second hand store? My e-mail is at the bottom of this post.

Hand wash it in cold water with no soap, then hang dry. It'll look like a million bucks.

both-teams-played-hard
06-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Bill Burbach wore #50 in 1969 (100 year patch season).
If the patch is original, then that is your most logical conclusion.

cjw
06-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks guys!

I believe the patches are both vintage...but am no expert on the style of stitching to expect.

Burbach huh? Wouldn't that indicate the jersey was used from 1966-1969 by the big club and then retired/recycled/given away? Is that likely? Perhaps, as it shows no repairs etc, and as it is a high number, it was kept around for rookies, call ups etc until 1969? chris