PDA

View Full Version : Huge Yankee fan but!!!!!!!!!!!

HENMICK44
06-18-2009, 12:30 AM
1)I recently saw pics of Nick Swisher on MLB signing auto's and taking pics with his friends and fans(awsome) while still doing charity work.Nice to see some of these guys seem genuine.

2)Then I see on steiner you have to "pay and greet" players like Derek Jeter, and most likely none of us hard working slobs on here could do it! Now Jeter is one of my favorite athletes but it wasn't to long ago that players such as Ruth,and Mantle wouldn't leave the park for hours after the game so they could have signed peoples stuff.In my opinion this hobby is shot and players like Jeter are the fakest people out there.

Any opinions?

murfsteve25
06-18-2009, 12:52 AM
I have a few opinions...

I agree with this post. None of us regular people could afford an evening with Jeter. And it's pretty sad you now have to win an auction just to get close to your favorite players.

Players complain about fans showing up at their team hotels and chase them around the town for an autograph. I WOULD be on the players side if they would sign more frequently at least during batting practice. At that point maybe I would agree with them and say maybe fans camping out in the hotel lobby is a bit too much. But if their not giving us the time of day, of course were going to do whatever it takes! Basically I think its their own fault.

I'd like to see just one player who complains about the fans stalking them outside of the stadium (Aaron Miles - personal experience) start signing for the fans inside the stadium, then the rule of "no auto's outside the stadium" would be ok.

mbenga28
06-18-2009, 06:10 AM
I do agree especially when you think about a mother or father making ends meet whose child adores and idolizes Jeter and they would like to get them a signed photo or baseball as a gift, only to go on Steiner's site and see the cheapest at 500$.

Wasn't there also an article recently in the local papers that Jeter doesn't take photos with fans because he's afraid people would post them and make up a false story about the encounter?

jrd
06-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Swisher is by far one of the best for signing and chariity work. When I went to a Jays-A's game in Toronto he was the only player who came out after batting practice and signed for everyone. He took his time and talked and joked with the fans.

gridman80
06-18-2009, 05:14 PM
1)I recently saw pics of Nick Swisher on MLB signing auto's and taking pics with his friends and fans(awsome) while still doing charity work.Nice to see some of these guys seem genuine.

2)Then I see on steiner you have to "pay and greet" players like Derek Jeter, and most likely none of us hard working slobs on here could do it! Now Jeter is one of my favorite athletes but it wasn't to long ago that players such as Ruth,and Mantle wouldn't leave the park for hours after the game so they could have signed peoples stuff.In my opinion this hobby is shot and players like Jeter are the fakest people out there.

Any opinions?
I go to many Yanks away games and very often Jeter will sign for the fans for about 15 minutes during batting practice

Capital-Sports
06-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Jeter is a good signer during ST and when the Yankees play the Rays.

AROD is a good signer to.

No need to pay Steiner prices.

markize
06-18-2009, 06:58 PM
I go to many Yanks away games and very often Jeter will sign for the fans for about 15 minutes during batting practice

I have been to roughly 50 Yankees away games over the past 8 years, and a handful in the Bronx, and I haven't seen Jeter sign for 15 minutes combined. I saw him sign one time for 3 people, and it was after I talked to him during warmups-and I was the first of those 3 people. I sit in the front row every year for at the last 8 years, and sometimes for an entire series, so I must be at the wrong stadium.

To the OP, I remember a call from a Steiner rep a few years back who offered me and my wife the chance to meet Jeter before the game (and not on the field), get 1 picture, 2 autographs, and the "chance" to obtain the jersey off his back (YEAH RIGHT!!!). All this for the low low price of $8,000!

Mark

Mr.3000
06-18-2009, 07:09 PM
I have been to roughly 50 Yankees away games over the past 8 years, and a handful in the Bronx, and I haven't seen Jeter sign for 15 minutes combined. I saw him sign one time for 3 people, and it was after I talked to him during warmups-and I was the first of those 3 people. I sit in the front row every year for at the last 8 years, and sometimes for an entire series, so I must be at the wrong stadium.

To the OP, I remember a call from a Steiner rep a few years back who offered me and my wife the chance to meet Jeter before the game (and not on the field), get 1 picture, 2 autographs, and the "chance" to obtain the jersey off his back (YEAH RIGHT!!!). All this for the low low price of $8,000!

Mark

Simply PATHETIC.

spartakid
06-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Swisher is by far one of the best for signing and chariity work. When I went to a Jays-A's game in Toronto he was the only player who came out after batting practice and signed for everyone. He took his time and talked and joked with the fans.

Nick Swisher is the nicest and most humble individual I've ever come across! I go to a handful of A's games every season and I swear, Nick must have signed for at least 20 minutes at EVERY game I've been at while he was on the A's. I eventually stopped getting his auto because I already had it like 4 times. He does great charity work and like I said, hasn't let the fame to to his head. I've never heard any bad thing about him, and don't see it ever happening. I know the fans certainly miss him in Oakland, and hopefully New York has changed him. Ricardo

suave1477
06-18-2009, 09:49 PM
I was at spring training this year Yankees vs. Team USA and Jeter after warming up walked over to the visitors side and was signing alot of autographs i would say sor about almost 10 minutes. But you can tell he wanted to get away quick. The only reason why he did it because the media was there and he wanted to uphold his great image by signing for some fans.

Mourneau came out right after him and and was signing for everyone and anyone there and wouldn't stop till he signed for everyone. He must have been there for 30 minutes at least.

sox83cubs84
06-19-2009, 11:29 AM
I was at spring training this year Yankees vs. Team USA and Jeter after warming up walked over to the visitors side and was signing alot of autographs i would say sor about almost 10 minutes. But you can tell he wanted to get away quick. The only reason why he did it because the media was there and he wanted to uphold his great image by signing for some fans.

Mourneau came out right after him and and was signing for everyone and anyone there and wouldn't stop till he signed for everyone. He must have been there for 30 minutes at least.

Jeter sounds a lot like Sam-Me Sosa. He would sign for fans at length at Wrigley Field...as long as there were cameras around to record it.:rolleyes: During the 2000 season, as he and the Cubs deplaned in Japan for their series with the Mets, Sam-Me, aware that a photgrapher was nearby, whipped out a pen to give the appearance that he was going to start signing for Japanese fans. Don't know if he did or didn't, but the photographer got the shot, and it was plastered in the next edition of one of the Chicago papers.:eek:

Dave M.
Chicago area