PDA

View Full Version : Completed my latest project: 8 bat display case

TNTtoys
06-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Just put the finishing touches on it today (thanks to the rain) and mounted it. Hung my 8 favorite bats from the 1986 Mets. Thought I'd share...

metsbats
06-20-2009, 06:53 PM
That's an awesome case Nick. Great job.

Ojeda, Aguilera (looks familiar), McDowell, Hernandez (nice use!), Carter, Strawberry, Gooden, Darling.

Is that right?

Dewey2007
06-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Just put the finishing touches on it today (thanks to the rain) and mounted it. Hung my 8 favorite bats from the 1986 Mets. Thought I'd share...

Thanks for sharing, the display case looks great! I wish I had the patience to try and build something like that. Maybe one of these days...

jbsportstuff
06-20-2009, 07:00 PM
What a great looking case. I'm assuming that you purchased the Met's flag, however, how is it hanging in the background of the bats? What's holding it in place.

I would love to do the same thing with my Red's BRM bats.

TNTtoys
06-20-2009, 07:04 PM
That's an awesome case Nick. Great job.

Ojeda, Aguilera (looks familiar), McDowell, Hernandez (nice use!), Carter, Strawberry, Gooden, Darling.

Is that right?

That's correct... the Aguilera was of course originally yours... the Ojeda was Jessie's. The Strawberry and Gooden came from Tim (hofbats).

And thanks for the feedback!!

TNTtoys
06-20-2009, 07:06 PM
What a great looking case. I'm assuming that you purchased the Met's flag, however, how is it hanging in the background of the bats? What's holding it in place.

I would love to do the same thing with my Red's BRM bats.

I tacked the Mets flag to the backing board in the corners and sides using 1/2 inch black carpet tacks. Against the dark blue flag, you can hardly notice they're there.

cigarman44
06-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Great display my friend!

Swoboda4
06-20-2009, 07:52 PM
That's what I'm talking about. Show w/photos how the cabinet opens up. That's the one thing I'm not good at. Very good.
P.S. Did you charge yourself $250 plus shipping!?
Again,Excellent.

dcrules01
06-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Nick very nice looks very classy major props..:cool:

halofan
06-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Looks really really good!:)

cordovacollector
06-20-2009, 10:00 PM
What kind of clips or clamps are holding the knob end of the bats? Where did you buy them? Great display!!!

SkubeBats
06-20-2009, 10:06 PM
That Doc Gooden bat is awsome and shows great game use to it. I know this because that Gooden bat was mine and I sold it to Tim at HOF BATS. I had that bat in my collection for over 15 years.

TNTtoys
06-21-2009, 08:19 PM
That's what I'm talking about. Show w/photos how the cabinet opens up. That's the one thing I'm not good at. Very good.
P.S. Did you charge yourself $250 plus shipping!?
Again,Excellent.

Robert,

I used 1/2 inch thick wood for the shadowbox, and I used 1 1/2 inch thick wood for the frame. I made use of the overlap and put small hinges behind the frame front. I added a catch to the bottom left of the frame, unnoticeable, since you cannot see behind the frame front on the lower left side. The case is able to swing forward on the hinges so that you can move or replace the bats.

Nick

TNTtoys
06-21-2009, 08:20 PM
What kind of clips or clamps are holding the knob end of the bats? Where did you buy them? Great display!!!

A carpenter custom built me a generic "bat rack" to my specifications to hang 8 bats and fit exactly in the space that I had reserved for it. I then built the shadowbox frame around the rack.

TNTtoys
06-21-2009, 08:22 PM
nice display. congrats. how long did it take you to get all 8 bats?

I think it took about 4 years or so. I was very picky ~ especially on the Keith Hernandez. I wanted one that showed a lot of use and paid a premium for it. There are a lot of Hernandez bats out there that show little use, and I passed on a lot of them.

I am actually working on a collection of 1 bat for every 1986 Met that made the post season that year. I am getting very very close to the complete set; only missing a few now (you can probably figure out by my signature that I can use a Wally Backman and a Kevin Mitchell!!!).

Kid4hof03
06-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Nick,
Great display case! The bats are top quality and the case certainly matches them.

Abe

djbrady33
06-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Very Nice Case! Thanks for showing it.

David
www.stlouismemorabilia.com (http://www.stlouismemorabilia.com)

tigerdale
06-22-2009, 07:14 PM
that looks great....AWESOME!!!!