PDA

View Full Version : MLB auctions $1000 mistake??

gameused
06-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Jason Varitek's Game Worn Catching Gear (worn on Memorial Day 5/25/09 vs. Minnesota Twins) listed on MLB auctions with a current bid of $1000, found a photo on Corbis that shows Tek wearing gear that does not match the MLB auction catchers gear. Could he have worn two different sets?

Bobby

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=106221534&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=106568244

orioles03
06-20-2009, 10:42 PM
in my opinion if it were to be used the shinguards would show the most use the picture mlb has no use maybe photo was taken before hand but to me everything looks brand new

ryant7
06-20-2009, 11:09 PM
in my opinion if it were to be used the shinguards would show the most use the picture mlb has no use maybe photo was taken before hand but to me everything looks brand new

The chest protector is different look at the allstar logo used or not the chest protector is def. different

suicide_squeeze
06-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Bobby,

It is definately a mistake that needs to be addressed. If in fact the only discrepancy is that there was more than one set of gear worn (which unless planned, seems unlikely), then that should be stated in the auction.

Man......with MLB making mistakes too, we're going to always need to be on our toes. This is really starting to get serious. Personally, I expect it from the auction houses, but MLB???

Nothing on the camoflague print matches. These are absolutely two different sets of gear.

Good catch, Bobby.

rj_lucas
06-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Man......with MLB making mistakes too, we're going to always need to be on our toes. This is really starting to get serious. Personally, I expect it from the auction houses, but MLB???

Just to clarify, this is a Red Sox auction, not an MLB auction. There is no reference to an MLB holo in the listing. I have seen numerous mistakes or misrepresentations of team-listed items. Buyer beware.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

kylehess10
06-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Could he have worn two different sets?

That's what I'm leaning towards right now because how could the Red Sox make a mistake like this? It's either that or they're selling a back-up set. Maybe Tek could've done like what Ken Griffey Jr. did a few years back with his #42 JR Day jersey? Griffey wore one jersey per inning and donated most of them I believe. Maybe Tek wore more than one set to give to seperate charities? It's possible, but hopefully a definite answer can be retrieved soon.

gamer35
06-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Bobby,

It is definately a mistake that needs to be addressed. If in fact the only discrepancy is that there was more than one set of gear worn (which unless planned, seems unlikely), then that should be stated in the auction.

Nothing on the camoflague print matches. These are absolutely two different sets of gear.

Good catch, Bobby.

Before you start underlining and bolding statements about a "definite" mistake, wouldnt you first watch the entire game to be DEFINITELY sure that this is the case? I recall this year that Varitek wore two sets of catching gear for Mother's Day, so MAYBE it could have been the same sitaution again this year.