PDA

View Full Version : BMH, Why no blue bats?

newyork2
06-21-2009, 12:57 PM
How come they don't use any special blue father's day bats? They could support prostate cancer. Would be a cool idea.

Swoboda4
06-21-2009, 04:41 PM
I always wondered that also. I would have bought one

cordovacollector
06-21-2009, 04:52 PM
The donations for breast cancer research is for guys too.

But I'd like the blue bats also.

Mauer7
06-21-2009, 05:07 PM
The Iowa Cubs minor league club uses blue bats for fathers day. But no MLB clubs do.

BMH
06-21-2009, 08:48 PM
17. The only permitted colors are:
a. For ring-porous or semi-ring-porous wood species (such as ash, the
oaks, elm and hickory):
i. Natural finish;
ii. Brown wood stain;
iii. Black; and
iv. Half stain (Walker finish).

b. For diffuse-porous wood species (such as sugar maple, beech and yellow
birch)
i. Natural finish; and
ii. Half stain (Walker finish) with natural or clear finish required on
the handle and either brown or black stain allowed in the barrel,
subject to the requirement in paragraph 16.

Color is determined by MLB, not the manufacturer.

Swoboda4
06-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Brian,why not blue for the one day. Pink is used and there are black bats Did somebody ask to use blue(for the one day/charity) and was told no?

metsbats
06-22-2009, 05:40 AM
I don't know about you guys but as a member for the male gender we should really feel discriminated against here. I think we should start a petition for blue bats on Father's Day.

I surprised Alfred G. Rava hasn't started a class action lawsuit against MLB.

metsbats
06-22-2009, 05:52 AM
I started an online petition for Blue Bats for Father's Day if anyone is interested:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bluebatsforfathersday/

dcrules01
06-22-2009, 09:17 AM
As someone who lost his father at 54 to cancer I totally support this.There are so many that will benefit with the extra research.I signed nice job David..

momen55
06-22-2009, 09:25 AM
i signed too. :)

metsbats
06-22-2009, 09:44 AM
We lost my wife's father to prostate cancer 8 years ago. He did not live long enough to see our son nor see his second daughter get married.

I believe mlb donates money to research for prostate cancer for each home run hit on Father's Day.

However more can definitely be done by us fans if the blue bats promotion is started. While it will be great to get a game used blue bat it will be even greater to know we the fans can contribute to the search for a cure.

We do it for the Ladies why not the men who by the way make up the majority of the MLB fan base.

Along with myself Scott is the second collector/friend whom had this cancer in the family.

I hope we can gather enough support so the MLB will take notice that there is a fan base interested in seeing this promotion started.

5kRunner
06-22-2009, 09:53 AM
I signed too David!

My brother-in-law just lost his father to prostate cancer. He was a very very nice man and had a smile all the way to the end.

mbenga28
06-22-2009, 10:09 AM
signed, we also need purple bats for domestic violence awareness.

grenda12
06-22-2009, 11:48 AM
signed, we also need purple bats for domestic violence awareness.

And Red for Aids Awareness. Yellow for the soldiers that are sevring.

I do like the idea of the blue bat for father's day to support prostate cancer but where do you draw the line at to support these awareness's.

spartakid
06-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I think you would stop at pink and and blue. One cause for each gender is enough. Otherwise, it could get out of hand. But players wear the pink and blue sweatbands on mother's and father's Day respectively, but there's no special bat for father's day. It just seems like if you recognize both days, why not do the same for both?

PK
06-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Cards wore a blue ribbon on thier jerseys yesterday.

metsbats
06-22-2009, 07:49 PM
I created a facebook group called Blue bats for Father's Day if anyone is interested.

So far we've got only 21 signatures (and one is my cousin's wife) on the petition.

Let's see how far we can take this and perhaps we may see some Blue bats on Father's Day in 2010!

cordovacollector
06-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Count me in. I signed too.

metsbats
06-23-2009, 04:39 PM
This morning I contacted Matt C. Who runs metsblog.com regarding the petition. He posted the petition on metsblog and we went from 26 posts to 111.

If anyone know of any team blogs who would be interested in helping us with the petition please feel free to contact them.

The more signatures and support we get the better!

Keep the signatures coming!

Thanks to all who signed.

allstarsplus
06-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Great idea! Signed up too!!! Another suggestion, how's about doing patriotic blue or red for 9/11, Independence Day and Memorial Day. We can raise money for Veterans charities.

metsbats
06-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Here's an update on this quest for Blue bats.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=97170889414&ref=mf

I've joined the Facebook group for several major league teams and a Louisville slugger group inviting fans to join the Blue Bats for Father's Day Facebook group and sign the petiton.

This is an audience of over 1,000,000 people.

We have 14 members in our facebook group and 135 signature on the petition to date.

grenda12
12-28-2009, 11:38 PM
I started an online petition for Blue Bats for Father's Day if anyone is interested:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bluebatsforfathersday/

Here's an update on this quest for Blue bats.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=97170889414&ref=mf

I've joined the Facebook group for several major league teams and a Louisville slugger group inviting fans to join the Blue Bats for Father's Day Facebook group and sign the petiton.

This is an audience of over 1,000,000 people.

We have 14 members in our facebook group and 135 signature on the petition to date.

David,

Was just wondering how this was going?

Liz

LastingsMilledge85
12-29-2009, 12:16 AM
oaks, elm and hickory):
i. Natural finish;
ii. Brown wood stain;
iii. Black; and

birch)
i. Natural finish; and

Then why can Bronson Arroyo use that red bat?
http://thumb15.shutterstock.com.edgesuite.net/display_pic_with_logo/51819/51819,1255297858,1/stock-photo-pittsburgh-september-bronson-arroyo-of-the-cincinnati-reds-takes-a-swing-against-the-38677576.jpg

metsbats
12-29-2009, 07:52 AM
David,

Was just wondering how this was going?

Liz

Last time I checked we have 43 members of the facebook group. I wrote an email to MLB months ago and no one ever got back to me. After the new year we can try again (writing a letter) and if we can get more folks to join the facebook group it would certainly help this cause.

Of course we have BMH on the forum here so if we can garner enough support perhaps Brian can help out getting MLB's attention.

metsbats
12-29-2009, 08:00 AM
In June we had 136 signatures in the I-petition. We now have 144.

Of the 43 members I think 25% of them are my relatives and friends.

Liz stated a facebook thread here and it would be great if folks can join this facebook group too.

BMH
12-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Then why can Bronson Arroyo use that red bat?

He's not supposed to use a red bat. MLB has outlawed the use of red bats and has confiscated several bats from players this past season. Remember Manny's Diablo bats that were taken away in 2008? They made us change our "Wine" finish so it is more brown than red.

Of course we have BMH on the forum here so if we can garner enough support perhaps Brian can help out getting MLB's attention.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned it or not but the teams and the players do not pay for the pink bats. They are donated to the players by the manufacturers for use. If you have noticed in the past two years the number of companies providing Pink bats has dropped. Adding other "Awareness Programs" is a noble cause but I feel it would saturate the market.

indyred
12-29-2009, 01:38 PM
I agree, blue bats that would saturate market. It's not like pink bats are going for crazy money anymore. MLB should just do a cool looking jersey patch for Fathers Day and then auction off some of those patched jerseys.

nomo121
12-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Brian,
Forgive the ignorant question, but I have a black m9, maple. All black?

Thanks and thanks for making the greatest bats.
MN

oaks, elm and hickory):
i. Natural finish;
ii. Brown wood stain;
iii. Black; and

birch)
i. Natural finish; and

indyred
12-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Brian,
Forgive the ignorant question, but I have a black m9, maple. All black?

Thanks and thanks for making the greatest bats.
MN

NO All black maple bats was a rule put in starting in 2009. Even then I think a few still made it into play. Is your bat dated to 2009 season? Also starting in 2009 all bats are date stamped on bottom handle.

metsbats
12-29-2009, 08:55 PM
MLB teams do wear a blue ribbons on Father's Day as they wear pink ribbons on Mother's Day. The only thing missing on the field on Father's day are the blue bats.

I'd like to know how making blue bats when there are none now would saturate the market?

Other bat companies aside it looks like Brian's the man we need to convince to produce blue bats.

sportsnbikes
06-20-2013, 08:41 PM
I did as well!