PDA

View Full Version : Autographs on game used items?

gatorfett
06-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Sorry guys if this has been addressed before but I searched the forum and could not find anything on it. I was curious to know what the general opinion was regarding signatures on game used items and the affect on the value of the item(s). I'm speaking more about uniforms, helmets, etc., not so much balls and bats.

I've got some unsigned football related items that I've had for some time and just started researching ways to contact individuals and gain signatures. That said, I wasn't sure if it was a worthwhile exercise or not. Although my intitial thoughts are that it would be, I wanted to get some opinions from fellow collectors. Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

tom1315
06-21-2009, 06:31 PM
To me the provenance of the item is paramount if it is signed. I concentrate on game used ACC items and if a game worn jersey or helmet and then signed by that player who actually wore it, used it, or if a football caught or carried it during play - it would be worth more to me.

If just a generic item worn by someone else and then signed by the "name" player probably a pass for me.

I think game used bats for example signed by the player who performed with the bat is worth more to a collector. Others may differ. I have already gleaned an uncracked bat is worth less than one not cracked for example thru this sight.

Tom

Go State! NC STATE 1981 grad

murfsteve25
06-21-2009, 08:17 PM
id much rather leave an item the way it came off the field. In the past ive had a few game jerseys and bats signed by the player who used/wore it, i also have many items game used that are unsigned and prefer to stick with that route. There are certain items i would like to have signed and inscribed "game used" just to add proof i guess. Everyone on here has seen the recent Arod gamers from his Texas days and with NY. I would rather have an Arod bat signed and inscribed game used.

oakesc8855
06-21-2009, 11:31 PM
id much rather leave an item the way it came off the field. In the past ive had a few game jerseys and bats signed by the player who used/wore it, i also have many items game used that are unsigned and prefer to stick with that route. There are certain items i would like to have signed and inscribed "game used" just to add proof i guess. Everyone on here has seen the recent Arod gamers from his Texas days and with NY. I would rather have an Arod bat signed and inscribed game used.

Thats a pretty specific case on the A-Rod bat....you know of any way to get one of those? haha

murfsteve25
06-22-2009, 01:51 AM
I may or may not...

Gocong57
06-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Put the sig on a discreet area: interior of helmets, not the padding (which deteriorates); on reverse side of jerseys behind the jocktag or numbers (watch marker bleed through though) or other interior tagging or fight strap. Keep it real simple on gamer bats I would avoid inscriptions here or not at all.

gatorfett
06-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. It is a bit of a tough topic here as it seems most are baseball collectors and my question is more related to football helmets and jerseys. Just to be clear, I am only talking about a signature and not a personalized sentence or anything. It seems to me that a signature could only be a good thing as the item would appeal to both game used collectors and/or autograph seekers. My main concern, and the reason for the post, was that I didn't want to do anything to de-value a piece by having it signed.

As far as having a sig under pads in the helmet or on tags in a jersey hidden from view, I never thought about this option. I could see why you would do that, although I'm not sure how that would affect the value. Interesting thought though.....

I would enjoy hearing some more opinions, again from the football gear collectors.

scottanservitz
06-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I collect game used bats and NFL jerseys. I like my bats signed because I like the way they display signed. Now my jerseys are not signed and I like it that way. I just don't like the display factor involved with an auto. I really don't look to purchase jerseys signed unless it is a rare piece that I may otherwise not have an opportunity to find another one. It really is up to the buyer and I think jerseys look nice with a photo of the player wearing that style. I'd just get the photo signed to go with the jersey. Just my opinion and I'm sure you will get both sides......
Scott

Neely8
06-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I have never understood the desire to get game used jerseys signed where it is outwardly visible. Isn't there so much other stuff to get autographed such as 8x10's, balls, pucks, etc.? I have passed on game worn jerseys before because they were signed. I prefer my game worn jerseys to be how they were when they were on the field/ice.....unsigned.

PK
06-23-2009, 07:47 AM
I like my items unsigned. If you do get signed, do it in an area that is not so obvious. Also, if you plan to sell tha item at a later date, a sig may limit who will buy it. If you plan to keep it, do what ever you like. As a buyer, even with and LOA, who is to say the sig is real. With so much forgery, I would never buy a item with autograph.

Gocong57
06-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Signatures can always be removed easily and safely from helmets with eraser pen and, with a bit more work, jerseys with Amodex and some elbow grease, so they never get in way of me purchasing an item.

I don't really have preference and remove sigs when they are smeared, huge and out of proportion or don't look right on a particular gamer. It really does come down to collectors' preference at time of sale--some find value in the sigs on gamers others run away.

I was at a Pedro Feliz in-person signing this past weekend and someone had a game-used Feliz bat signed-up and I thought how nicely the sig came out amidst all the use marks.

On gamer helmets, I have players sign in interior, back portion or along ear hole depending on padding location. They're so used to signing on the outside in huge script that they get momentarily thrown off when you request small, inside.

gatorfett
06-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Love the insight fellas....my original intention was to have an 8x10 picture signed with the piece(s) and after hearing the replies, I am thinking that is the way to go. Now my issue is finding good pics to accompany the pieces. Some of my pieces are of obscure college players, that never made it in the NFL, so pics are not in abundance. Do you guys have a good website that you can recommend? I found Getty Images, but their charge per pic is $100 even for personal use. Ouch!! For some of my players though, they are the only resource I have found with reference available. Thanks again for the recommendations.