X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nesportspromotions
    • May 2006

Honus Wagner Bat

Does anyone know what this is?

Is it a gamer? Is it just a decal bat? Thanks!

• ghostkid
    • Aug 2005

Re: Honus Wagner Bat

How long is the bat and how much does it weigh?

Without provenance or picture ID, I don't think one can ever say it's a gamer...BUT IT'S STILL A GREAT BAT!!! Based on the MADE BY center label, it looks like this bat is from the 1897-1911 era. Honus Wagner was the first player to sign an endorsement contract with Hillerich/Bradsby in 1905, so I feel reasonably sure the bat dates from 1905-1911.

Please keep me in mind if you ever decide to sell this bat.

Kevin Kasper
    kevinkasper@netzero.com

Comment

• nesportspromotions
      • May 2006

Thanks for your help!

Anyone else?

Comment

• MSpecht
        • Oct 2005

I agree with Kevin's analysis.. Decal bats appeared after the first endorsement signing on 9/1/1905 (Honus Wagner) during the 1897-1911 label period, so this bat would reasonably date between 1905-1911. Just to add a little to the post, Wagner's earliest records (1911-1912). document orders of bats weighing between 44 ounces and 50 ounces. No additional information is available from that period, Additionally, the Honus Wagner display bat from the Louisville Slugger museum is referenced as 34 1/2 inches and 38 ounces.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Comment

• ghostkid
          • Aug 2005

nesportspromotions,

Have you determined the length and weight of the bat yet?

Kevin

Comment

• jboosted92
            • Aug 2005

looks like a mini-bat to me

Comment

• nesportspromotions
              • May 2006

Actually I'm not sure how one measures a bat. (Blushing while typing.)

If it is from the VERY top of the Barrel to the VERY bottom of the knob it measures 33 inches EXACTLY.

Thanks guys!

Comment

• nesportspromotions
                • May 2006

Comment

• ghostkid
                  • Aug 2005

It sounds like you measured the bat correctly. This is considered a full-sized decal bat, but the Wagner gamer bats sold in the past year or two have been a bit longer (34.25 - 34.5 inches). Still, as I said before, this is a great bat that most true collectors would covet (a.k.a. pay $$$). Fair market value is probably a solid 4-figure price.

Kevin
                  kevinkasper@netzero.com

Comment

• nesportspromotions
                    • May 2006

Thanks for all the info Kevin!

FYI: The bat will most likely end up in auction this summer. When I decide where I'll email you a link.

I'm in Boston and there is a local auction house that I'm leaning towards b/c I really don't want to deal with the NY/NJ guys.

All the best!

Comment

• ghostkid
                      • Aug 2005

You might want to consider letting all readers of this forum know BEFORE you decide to sell the bat at auction. You might actually do better to sell it here than selling it through one of the auction houses. For the big auction houses, they'll take a large chunk of the final price for commission (buyer + seller penalty = $$$). A rough guess is that around 30% of the price paid by the high bidder goes to the auction house, meaning fewer $$$ in your pocket.

Kevin

Comment

• Steve Jensen
                        • Feb 2006

Value of Honus Wagner Bats

Hey there- We have actually sold 6 Honus Wagner bats via auction or private sale the last 3 years and are selling 2 more in July so i can share some of what we've learned about Wagner bats that may be of some help to you. the wagner bats that command top dollar measure approx. 34.5 inches as Kevin said and weigh around 38-39 ounces. do you have access to a scale to weigh it? the best one are the postal scales you can pick for $30 at your closest office supply store.

You may want to send it to MEARS for inspection and/or grading. My guess is that it would grade anywhere from an A4-A7 depending on the weight and the extent of the handle crack. if it weighs less than 37 ounces, it'll probably get a grade in the A5 range. if it weighs over 38 ounces, it would be in the A7 range, especially if it is hand turned.

The bat does exhibit the thick handle that Wagner preferred which is definitely one of his traits. if it weighs over 37 ounces, you may get quite a bit of money for that bat, especially due to the fact that it dates to his playing days. We sold a Wagner decal bat dated to his playing days for $100,000 that measured 34.5 inches and weighed 39 ounces (Graded A8) so it's probably worth your time to send it in for authentication before you decide where to move it. I think you should expect to get anywhere from $10,000-$50,000 for that bat depending on the final grade.

Best Regards,
                        Steve

www.vintageauthentics.com
                        866-304-3090

Comment

• ghostkid
                          • Aug 2005

Steve,

Thanks for sharing your insight into Wagner bats...not a whole lotta info out there and its nice to hear from someone with experience selling Wagner bats. Based on your suggested selling price and suggested MEARS grade, do you feel this is a Wagner gamer?

Kevin

Comment

• mjkm90
                            • Nov 2005

Steve,

How can you possibly rate a bat that is significantly shorter than those he used that high? What I'm hearing you say is that any bat store model or other that simply falls in a size a weight range can be sold as a gamer. That seems like a complete joke. If someone is willing to pay $100,000 for a bat with zero provenance, they aren't making a wise investment.

Mike H.
                            Mike H

Comment

• BoneRubbedBat
                              • Jul 2005

I don't think this is a professional model Wagner bat. The facts that 1. decal bats were available to the public, 2. there is no documentation to back up that Wagner ever used bats less than about 34.5" in length, and 3. the knob does not appear hand-turned - all lead to the most likely conclusion that this is a store model bat.

I have had two sidewritten Wagner bats over the past couple of years. One of them was 35" and 35 oz (graded an 8), and the other was 36" and 35.2 oz (graded a 9).

What Steve is stating is that MEARS will grade bats if they meet certain requirements/specifications. If this bat met all of the professional requirements for a Wagner bat except for length, MEARS would probably grade it. This is evidenced by some of the recent HOF bats that have been graded by MEARS, but that are shorter than factory records (34" Ruths, 34" Williams, etc). If it is determined that it is 100% retail, then they won't grade it.

When we get a bat graded, we are getting more of a "probablility scale" than a "use" scale. What is the probablility that this bat was used by player X? Look at the base grading for this info, not the subtractions for cracks, missing pieces, etc. For example: If a bat is initially base graded a 5, then has subtractions for wrong length (-1), wrong weight (-1), and a non-hand-turned knob (-1), then the probability grade is a 3. A 3 would not instill much confidence in me to spend high dollar for that bat.

This Wagner bat is still a remarkable specimen because of the retained decal, and I think would command a price in the low four-figures.

Marcus
                              sigpic

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Comment

Working...