PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on qualites you want from authentication company

justinwc80
06-22-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm working on a marketing plan for a fictional authentication company for my Masters. Wanted to get everyone's opinion on what you want in an ideal company. For example when declaring an item game used there must be a photomatch. Thanks alot

David
06-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Honesty, sincerity, knowledge and expertise.

gingi79
06-22-2009, 02:10 PM
The short answer: Copy MeiGray's Business plan.

The long answer:

1) Be transparent with your motives. Don't hide behind a letter of "opinion" Say "This is game worn and I know because of x, y, z.
2) Look at photomatches as if you lose money if you match them. This will make you question every match and search for several examples before calling it photomatched.
3) Spend time getting to know others in your field. Everyone from novice to master authenticator. Learn from others mistakes and borrow their successes.
4) If Steiner's doing it, don't. Make sure you have every authentication backed up for both yourself and your customers. If your item comes with a hologram number, make sure you can look up the number, know what it is and that others can search for it as well. Otherwise, it's just a sticker and holds no value.
5) If you mess up, own it. Screwed a customer by accident? Ask how to make it up to them (within reason) That doesn't mean giving away free stuff, it means asking how to satisfy them. Partial refund, discount coupon etc.

Here's a good start. I'm sure others will chime in

emann
06-22-2009, 02:14 PM
For example when declaring an item game used there must be a photomatch.

That would be nice, but WAY too black/white for reality. If you collect anything GU older than a couple of years, the ability to photomatch drops off considerably, even for star players. Look up any of the 80's stars in Getty, you'll probably get less photo examples than players that were rookies just last year.

For me, a match to a solid exemplar is about the best you could get. I'd actually like to see a database of GU bats given with your LOA from an authentication company. So, say I submit a Dave Winfield bat, I'd like to get their evaluation back along with photos of other Winfield bats that "match" use characteristics. Make sense?

And I second "honesty, sincerity, knowledge and expertise" and add maybe a partnership with the various Hall of Fame museum services departments to share in knowledge building.

rj_lucas
06-22-2009, 02:40 PM
No conflict of interest e.g. the authentication company does not sell, auction, or otherwise make a market in the items they authenticate.

Good luck with that one.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Mauer7
06-22-2009, 06:25 PM
I only have one. ACCURACY.

Vintagedeputy
06-22-2009, 07:16 PM
an online hologram number look up that actually works - unlike Steiner sports

sox83cubs84
06-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Add to these public email, phone, and snail mail contacts to communicate with the authenticator(s) and be able to discuss issues, good or bad, regarding your submissions. (We know who THAT knocks out of the running!):p

Dave M.
Chicago area

justinwc80
06-25-2009, 09:31 PM
For everyone that replied I greatly appreciate your help. After writing my marketing proposal with my fictional company Legendary Sport Memories, I wish it existed. It has everything you guys asked for as well as experts like Dave Grob working for it. I can't thank everyone enough and hope you don't mind me quoting you in my paper. You guys are always great for opinions and I can't thank you enough!

vonbrandingo
06-29-2009, 02:09 AM
No conflict of interest e.g. the authentication company does not sell, auction, or otherwise make a market in the items they authenticate.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

YES, and there needs to be regulations preventing it!

David
06-29-2009, 04:22 AM
Beckett just started an autograph authenticating/entombing service and I'm the outside adviser. I don't handle or directly authenticate photos, but answer questions, give distance opinions look at scans, advise and write articles. I met with the Beckett staff in person, bringing with me a suitcase full of photos. Beckett is in Dallas and I live and work in Seattle.

I'm not buying or selling photos, as I understand many collectors don't want that. I'm not an active dealer or an auctioneer anyway, so it's not hard for me to stop.

One thing I'd like to note, however, is that to become an expert you have to physically handle tons of material. Unless you are extremely wealthy or have a skeleton key to a museum, the only way to handle and learn about the material is by dealing in it-- collecting, buying and selling it. Some of the most knowledgeable folks in the hobby are or were dealers or auctioneers-- Rob Lifson (REA), Lew Lipset (vintage baseball card guru, auctioneer and author of Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards), Mike Gutierrez (auctioneer, dealer and respected autograph expert). One reason these guys are so knowledgeable is that they handled so much material as dealers and auctioneers. They are also smart and inquisitive people who studied hard in their fields of expertise, sometimes even before their field were politely considered fields. Rob Lifson told me he long ago had the original paintings for the 1930s Diamond Stars baseball cards and he couldn't find anyone who wanted to buy them. The paintings are worth a small fortune today, but Rob was so far ahead of the curve there wasn't a buyer yet.

I'm happy to informally advise collectors on photos they are considering submitting to Beckett or not submitting to Beckett. Obviously there are limitations with looking at scans, but I can often give a good opinion from a scan and description and give a good guess how Beckett would label it.

There are reprinted, forged, misidentified and misdated photos, but they are bit more 'tangible' in that you don't have to judge game use. As with baseball bats, photos often have stamping and markings that help determine their age and authenticity. That's in part why much can be determined from a scan.

Thanks,
David @ www.cycleback.com

David
06-29-2009, 04:34 AM
I made a big error in my fist sentence. It's a photograph authenticating service not autographs. I'm not offering opinions on autographs, please don't send scans of your Mother Teresa signed footballs or your Neil Armstrong signed moon rocks.

vonbrandingo
06-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I made a big error in my fist sentence. It's a photograph authenticating service not autographs. I'm not offering opinions on autographs, please don't send scans of your Mother Teresa signed footballs or your Neil Armstrong signed moon rocks.

David, I sent you an email.

Tay1038
08-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm working on a marketing plan for a fictional authentication company for my Masters. Wanted to get everyone's opinion on what you want in an ideal company. For example when declaring an item game used there must be a photomatch. Thanks alot

I would love to see a copy of your marketing plan when you're all finished. Drop me an email sometime!

Taylor
Tay1038@aol.com