PDA

View Full Version : Sending GU items for Signatures

nogloss
06-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Has any one on here sent their GU items to be signed by an athlete either through a major dealer like Tri-Star or Steiner? Have you contacted the athlete through any other source? I have always been highly skeptical of this, but most of the players I collect were stars outside my local market.

I have a couple of items I have decided I would like signed, but have not seen the players come through the local area in the past, or having any future local signings planned. I have seen them signing at other national shows.

If you have sent items to be signed, how do you:
Guarantee that they have received the item
Take responsibility for receiving the item
Assure yourself they return the correct item
Handle issues if the correct item is not returnedThank you in advance for your help. If this has come up before, which I am sure it has, I could not find it in several searches.

joelsabi
06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Has any one on here sent their GU items to be signed by an athlete either through a major dealer like Tri-Star or Steiner? Have you contacted the athlete through any other source? I have always been highly skeptical of this, but most of the players I collect were stars outside my local market.

I have a couple of items I have decided I would like signed, but have not seen the players come through the local area in the past, or having any future local signings planned. I have seen them signing at other national shows.

If you have sent items to be signed, how do you:
Guarantee that they have received the item
Take responsibility for receiving the item
Assure yourself they return the correct item
Handle issues if the correct item is not returnedThank you in advance for your help. If this has come up before, which I am sure it has, I could not find it in several searches.

these all are very good question.

i have wondered if tri-star or steiner have security policy for shipped items.

are there security policies for sending away to authenticators, grading companies, or dealers for private signings.

AWA85
06-23-2009, 10:44 PM
I have thought about sending bats away to be signed at signings that allow this, but in the end I haven't had the courage to send my items off yet. Something about it just seems a little risky to me when other people are passing your game used items around to get signed.

Anyone have any positive or negative experiences?

Gocong57
06-24-2009, 07:25 AM
A few years ago at Sanberg HOF induction, my wife and kids hurriedly ducked in out of the rain in hotel side room where the signing organizer was holding their send in items.

I didn't realize where I was until I swung around and saw racks of gamer and retail bats, boxes of balls and pics ordered nicely in the room, the one or 2 busy workers eyed us then left the room for an extended period, save for Carlton Fisk signing balls quietly in corner with back to us. One could've of very easily run out with a nice piece through back door.

For the most part, the major signing organizations appear to be secure, efficient and properly get your items signed-up. But, if the piece is too valuable to you and you aren't willing to take a chance that something may happen to it, best to get sig in person or with help of trusted person.

Canseco44
06-24-2009, 08:30 AM
I went to the big Tri Star show in Arlington a few years back with the sole purpose of getting Bo Jackson to sign a bat for me. Well, Bo had a fall at his house and could not attend. I gave my bat to a Tri Star representative and they took down all the info on my bat and then wrapped it up in brand new knee high socks. I received it back from them within a couple of weeks and it was very nicely signed by Bo with a full signature. Also, on a side note, it was a black bat that I requested be signed in Gold Sharpie, and it was. I had nothing but good come out of my dealings with them. Good luck.

Thanks, Todd

scottanservitz
06-25-2009, 12:53 PM
A few years back I sent in an Eric Dickerson SMU jersey to be autographed to Tri-Star and it came back with no problems at all. The only thing that I didn't like was that it was signed on the rubberized number and it has faded. It was also done in blue sharpie and I really didn't like that, but I didn't give instructions. I honestly don't know if I could send in something today. Rather do it at a show in my presence.

Scott

David
06-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I haven't had experience with them. But places like Steiner and Tri Star are in the business of handling, securing and tracking expensive game used and autographed items and running private and public signings. One would think they they would be well equipped to handle others' items sent in. I suspect companies like these have insurance to cover the stuff they handle. I know big auction houses like REA have insurance to cover consignments and other submitted items through the mail.

Tay1038
06-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Hello,

I have sent many baseballs to athletes before and have had everyone returned with no problems. As for game-used items – I just sent my first one out to the Bob Feller Museum on Monday to get autographed. I sent it USPS Priority mail with Signature Confirmation and Insurance. This way you have proof of delivery and your protected if the item is lost.

As this is my first time as well – I would recommend doing your homework on the company first and ask for testimonials on the forum for positive/negative feedback – Much like you just did. I would then call the company to confirm that they received it.

Good luck with your quest! Hope this helps in someway.

Taylor

skyking26
06-25-2009, 10:29 PM
I've been in this 30 years. Rare for me to do something thru mail. That is for a reason, and I'll share the experience I had recently this spring:

Adam Dunn has never been in my Detroit area market. I collect his items. He was doing a second show for a dealer in Arizona. I mailed a Reds helmet, hat, Diamondbacks hat and WBC ball. "one" item came back ok as I asked. Note each had a brief inscription and seller sent inscription $$ back. The Reds helmet was asked to be signed in silver on a black rim (came signed in blue on side of helmet), Reds hat was signed under brim (not on brim top as asked), WBC ball was not inscribed as I asked. How in the world can you leave expressed simple to follow rules and then hand 3 out of 4 back to customer wrong and expect a pat on that back????

Warning: Do not send anything thru mail you do not want to lose, get destroyed, etc. Once an item leaves your possesion it is up for grabs...