PDA

View Full Version : 2001 McGwire Home Hunt Auctions

skyking26
06-24-2009, 03:34 AM
Thoughts from assembled on the 2001 McGwire post 9/11 Home with accompanying undershirt?

Much has been written about the strange 99 All Star in same auction. I've heard everything from yellowing embroidery on tags-non yellowing, etc., but not alot of conversation.

Appreciate anything anyone has to say about this piece...

RK

Birdbats
06-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm looking forward to examining this jersey in person. I've seen many 2001 Cardinals jerseys -- owned five myself, four with the post-9/11 flag, all with perfect provenance. I still have two home jerseys (Bonilla and Renteria) and a road (Bud Smith, pre-9/11). I've also seen several fakes, mostly Pujols rookies. To me, the thing that stands out on the fakes is the reverse stitching from the flag. On legit jerseys, it's difficult to tell the thread is yellow from the inside. On fake jerseys, there's an obvious yellow rectangle that's visible from a distance.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/Jerseys/2001flagstitching.jpg

When I look at the 2001 McGwire, it seems the rectangle is quite visible. But, the photo is small, so I really can't pass judgment on that alone. That's why I want to see it in person. There are several other things to look for -- how the name plate is attached, the stitch patterns of the numbers, etc. Can only see those in person, up close. One other giveaway on fake 2001 jerseys: On legit shirts, through the fabric, you can see the letters are attached to the name plates with both red and navy thread. This was common on Cardinals jerseys of the era. On some of the fakes I've seen, the letters are attached with navy thread only.

skyking26
06-24-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm looking forward to examining this jersey in person. I've seen many 2001 Cardinals jerseys -- owned five myself, four with the post-9/11 flag, all with perfect provenance. I still have two home jerseys (Bonilla and Renteria) and a road (Bud Smith, pre-9/11). I've also seen several fakes, mostly Pujols rookies. To me, the thing that stands out on the fakes is the reverse stitching from the flag. On legit jerseys, it's difficult to tell the thread is yellow from the inside. On fake jerseys, there's an obvious yellow rectangle that's visible from a distance.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/Jerseys/2001flagstitching.jpg

When I look at the 2001 McGwire, it seems the rectangle is quite visible. But, the photo is small, so I really can't pass judgment on that alone. That's why I want to see it in person. There are several other things to look for -- how the name plate is attached, the stitch patterns of the numbers, etc. Can only see those in person, up close. One other giveaway on fake 2001 jerseys: On legit shirts, through the fabric, you can see the letters are attached to the name plates with both red and navy thread. This was common on Cardinals jerseys of the era. On some of the fakes I've seen, the letters are attached with navy thread only.
Jeff: When do you plan on seeing this in person? Thanks, Bob

Birdbats
06-24-2009, 01:08 PM
At the auction preview during All-Star weekend in St. Louis.

skyking26
06-24-2009, 01:51 PM
At the auction preview during All-Star weekend in St. Louis.
Are you yourself bidding on the jersey, and if not, would you be able to let me know how you feel about it as I have interest?

RK

Birdbats
06-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I won't know until I see it whether I'm a bidder. If I think it's bogus, I'll be sure to let you know. If I think it's good, I might disappear until after the auction. :D:D:D