PDA

View Full Version : Pink 2009 Mothers Day Bats on MLB auction

gameused
06-25-2009, 03:57 PM
anyone going for a particular player?

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/feature.d2w/report

CampWest
06-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Was thinking about a couple guys, but starting bids are too high on common players. Some of these starting at $300, a regular bat sells for $25-40. So, I may be down to one or two guys, but probably just trying to win one at $300 is going to be my limit.

What do you guys think? $300 starting bid too high on many of these bats?

gameused
06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
try this link: http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/feature.d2w/report?wl=33072944&sort=term&search=MD&partnerId=ed-2684232-55448821&source=ed-2684232-55448821

gameused
06-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Was thinking about a couple guys, but starting bids are too high on common players. Some of these starting at $300, a regular bat sells for $25-40. So, I may be down to one or two guys, but probably just trying to win one at $300 is going to be my limit.

What do you guys think? $300 starting bid too high on many of these bats?

I think we all need to look at this auction as a way to help find a cure for cancer and not a way to walk away with steal of a deal on a bat. $300 or $3000 is a small price to pay to help save a life.

Bobby

matt
06-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Interesting that there are 2 bats by several players. Lots of x-bats too. I guess they got multiple pink bats from x-bat and LS and tried to use them all.

Matt

yanks12025
06-25-2009, 05:58 PM
I hope people read that the Jeter and A-rod ones are just signed and not game used. I would be interested in Robinson Cano's but i dont see it listed.

markize
06-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I hope people read that the Jeter and A-rod ones are just signed and not game used. I would be interested in Robinson Cano's but i dont see it listed.

I'm not sure if it's the one offered, but I know for a fact jeter used a pink bat for his first at bat during the mothers day game. I might have a picture, but I was at the game, and I can assure he used it once. I think arod did as well, and got a base hit with hit.

Mark

yanks12025
06-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Mark,
But in the listing they list them as signed bats not game used.

chakes89
06-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Going after the Jay Bruce bat

(Doubt I get it)

markize
06-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Mark,
But in the listing they list them as signed bats not game used.

I understand. I'm just stating a fact. Maybe he kept the used bat, or it will be auctioned on good morning America like last year.

Mark

CampWest
06-25-2009, 06:59 PM
I think we all need to look at this auction as a way to help find a cure for cancer and not a way to walk away with steal of a deal on a bat. $300 or $3000 is a small price to pay to help save a life.

Bobby

I hear what you are saying and I agree with finding a cure for cancer. For the record, I am officially against cancer.

To clarify, I am not trying to get a "steal of a deal" on a bat. Thanks for the accusation though. I'm merely suggesting that I believe many bats will go unsold at a $300 starting bid, because there will not be the demand for certain of the players, I saw that last year as well. Maybe the player, a friend, or relative of that player will step up, but the general collecting community will probably not.

I agree though, that this should be looked at as a way to help improve people's lives and I love this program and fully endorse the Komen Foundation expanding to Father's Day bats to create more opportunities to raise funds.

I donate money regularly to the Stowers Institute for Medical Research and get "nothing tangible" in return, so I may as well buy an over-priced bat for charity and I probably will. I donate to the Stowers Institute, because I know that every dollar that goes to the Stowers Institute goes directly to funding the operations of an exceptional entity whose sole purpose is cutting edge medical research.

Also, I go to a lot of fund raisers for local animal shelters, Boys & Girls Club, etc, and regularly overpay for sports memorabilia in their silent auctions to help support those charities, most of them have the sense to start at a lower value and let the bidders take it from there. The more interested parties you have, the more bids you will get. More bids generally means a higher realized value.

So I agree with your premise that we should and will overpay because its benefitting a charity, but my point was, I think they'd be more successful if they lowered the starting price on some bats and got more people interested in bidding.

cordovacollector
06-25-2009, 09:48 PM

Bobby

Thank you, Bobby! You are a fine gentleman. I was in a trial for Tykerb - a new breast cancer drug for men and women. Took 6 pills per days ... at $23 each! I think that ends up being roughly $4200 per month.

Thanks to all for buying and bidding on bats!

cordovacollector
06-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Interesting that there are 2 bats by several players. Lots of x-bats too. I guess they got multiple pink bats from x-bat and LS and tried to use them all.

Matt

I think I remember reading on Justin Morneau's website that he had four this year.

gameu08
06-26-2009, 08:08 AM
ian kinslers bat says Cinn reds on it????why?

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=106406599&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=106753309

cordovacollector
06-27-2009, 02:47 AM
http://echo4.bluehornet.com/cimages/23847a2f9cbf969df5140bae51b45f7c/email%20image.jpg (http://echo4.bluehornet.com/ct/4646965:5488649886:m:1:398902675:4A61370F56D8006F0 48B2CE8A89F74E6)

From his newsletter:

JustinMorneau.com and BWP Bat Company have partnered to offer a limited edition collectible benefiting a great cause. For the next ten days, fans have the opportunity to bid on pink Justin Morneau bats. Each bat is the same model Morneau used in the Mother's Day game on May 10th.

BWP supplied Justin with two pink bats for game use. The bats offered here are the only others manufactured. Each bat is hand-numbered on the knob.

A portion of the final auction value will be donated to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Breast Cancer Foundation!

Thanks to all who bid in the 2009 JustinMorneau.com BWP pink bat auctions! The final eBay bid amounts are below:

1 of 9 - 232.50
2 of 9 - 102.50
3 of 9 - 127.83
4 of 9 - 102.50
5 of 9 - 107.50
6 of 9 - 113.39
7 of 9 - 129.39
8 of 9 - 139.39
9 of 9 - 145.39I think one of the game used bats was to go to his mom and the other one to MLB auction. But there are 9 others that were auctioned off that weren't game used and 10 others made. Nine were auctioned and one went to a contest winner on his site.

All this info is just a heads up that there are bats 10 extra Justin Morneau/Andrea Sinclair bats out there that could be doctored to try and sell them as game used.

cordovacollector
06-27-2009, 02:48 AM
oops ... typo.

Audra Sinclair not Andrea

Capital-Sports
06-27-2009, 05:29 PM
After looking at all other brands pink bats, Louisville Slugger is by far the nicest presentation piece.

grenda12
06-28-2009, 02:52 PM
What do you suppose will happen if the pink bats dont sell off MLB auction?

HENMICK44
06-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Looking For A Mientkiewicz Or A Swisher Pink Bat? henmick44@optonline.net

AWA85
06-28-2009, 06:12 PM
What do you suppose will happen if the pink bats dont sell off MLB auction?

Last year for the lesser players, I thought they drop the starting bid price by $50 or a $100 if there are no bids. Do not plan on that for sure, but occasionally MLB.com lowers their price if an item is not selling.

Fnazxc0114
06-29-2009, 04:44 PM
just a heads up the michael young bat isnt game used. since he didnt play that day.

joelsabi
06-30-2009, 10:04 AM
if you want a pink arod, there is one cheaper on ebay, this year he didnt play on mothers day. $300 on MLB to start is steep.

gameused
06-30-2009, 12:38 PM
if you want a pink arod, there is one cheaper on ebay, this year he didnt play on mothers day. $300 on MLB to start is steep.

Joel,

Arod did play on Mothers day 5/10/09, here's the box score.
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20090510&content_id=4658978&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=away&c_id=nyy

Bobby

markize
06-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Joel,

Arod did play on Mothers day 5/10/09, here's the box score.
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20090510&content_id=4658978&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=away&c_id=nyy

Bobby

100% correct, as I was at the game. In fact, arod, just like Jeter used the pink bat in the first inning only. Arod singled down the 3rd base line with his.

Mark

Mets05
07-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Is there a reason some of the 2008 bats are more expensive then their 2009 counterparts? I am new to bat collecting and noticed the Wright 2008 is a couple hundred dollars more than the 2009 (last I looked).

Thanks,

Mets05

CampWest
07-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Ultimately, I think we need to wait and see where the auctions finish. They may get a lot of late action. Without knowing the specifics, one may be more desirable than another based on his performance in those two games, IE did he hit a homerun in 2008 and go 0-4 in 2009. Also they could have different usage characteristics, one may show a lot of use and the other very little. I would assume they are same model and manufacturer, but differences in make and model could have an impact on desirability. If all that were the same, they'll probably finish up pretty close to one another.

Is there a reason some of the 2008 bats are more expensive then their 2009 counterparts? I am new to bat collecting and noticed the Wright 2008 is a couple hundred dollars more than the 2009 (last I looked).

Thanks,

Mets05

CampWest
07-07-2009, 12:04 PM
After looking a little closer... I like usage of the 2009 bat better personally, plus its autographed... in 2009 he went 1-4 single 2K. In 2008 he went 1-4 single, BB, 2K. So I would garner a guess that its just too early to call. Both auctions have quite a bit of time left, so I think most likely its just too early to mean much. Auctions are funny like that.

Ultimately, I think we need to wait and see where the auctions finish. They may get a lot of late action. Without knowing the specifics, one may be more desirable than another based on his performance in those two games, IE did he hit a homerun in 2008 and go 0-4 in 2009. Also they could have different usage characteristics, one may show a lot of use and the other very little. I would assume they are same model and manufacturer, but differences in make and model could have an impact on desirability. If all that were the same, they'll probably finish up pretty close to one another.

yanks12025
07-07-2009, 02:29 PM
I know it's for charity but i can't see why people are paying $1,500+ for a Derek Jeter signed pink bat?

wllump52
07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
MLB auctions dopped the starting bids on the bats with out bids. New starting bids are $250 in most cases with a few at $200.

camarokids
07-08-2009, 01:55 PM
I am not trying to sound like a non-caring person. But, how long has there been cancer research and yet no cure has been found????

My dad lost his girlfriend of 13 years to cancer, so I know first hand what is like to see someone shrink away and die.

I feel there is way too much money involved, too much money to be made, there for no cure has been found.

Just look at AIDS, they sure took care of that disease pretty quick. Maybe they did not find a total cure. But they have expensive medicines you can take to keep it in check. They sure put the magic back into Magic Johnson.

Why no cure for cancer???? Drug companies/Doctors/Hospitals are all getting rich off of a lot of people dying.

Now back to this thread. Just because the auction sends money to charity does not mean the average joe collector should pay an exorbitant amount of money for one of these bats.

After all not all of the money from these bats goes to the charity. ONLY the Net proceeds from this auction will benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure (http://cms.komen.org/komen/index.htm).

What are the NET proceeds??????

staindsox
07-08-2009, 02:08 PM
David,

You are absolutely right about questioning how much the "proceeds" actually are. You know those Cheerios, yogurt, water, etc with the pink ribbon packaging on them that you see at the grocery store? I read in several places that Komen gets pennies on the dollar for this. A lot of companies with pink ribbon promotions are making a hell of a lot of money off of it. I absolutely think this is a worthy cause, but you don't know how much of your purchase from these bats actually goes to cancer research.

Chris

spartakid
07-08-2009, 02:40 PM
David,

You are absolutely right about questioning how much the "proceeds" actually are. You know those Cheerios, yogurt, water, etc with the pink ribbon packaging on them that you see at the grocery store? I read in several places that Komen gets pennies on the dollar for this. A lot of companies with pink ribbon promotions are making a hell of a lot of money off of it. I absolutely think this is a worthy cause, but you don't know how much of your purchase from these bats actually goes to cancer research.

Chris

Twenty minutes left on the Hannahan bat, I think you got it won.:D

whatupyos
07-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Chris-

Good luck on the bat. I'm pulling for you. Last year I saw his Pink Bat at the A's auction, but it was issued since he didn't play that day. I was going to bid on it for you but didn't as I once bought a bat with the intention to sell to a forum member who collected this player. I got burned when he didn't want it since it was game used and he collects game issued bats. I didn't want to bid a few hundred dollars if I wasn't 100% sure I could sell it, I learned my lesson. I don't want to knock what others collect, but I thought this was Game "Used" Universe....not Game "ISSUED" Universe.

Send me an email if you win.

Aaron

CampWest
07-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Sorry... but this just made me laugh... Do you honestly think doctors, medical researchers, and drug companies are just milking the system for all that its worth? Do you honestly think their greed is preventing them from finding a cure? Do you honestly think that they don't want to do everything they can to save lives?

I have met a couple of top medical researchers, and I can tell you that to be in that field they have to be driven, ambitious, and results oriented. There is nothing they want more than to be known as the person who cured cancer.

For every dollar they make off someone dying, they could make thousands on selling the cure. To think differently is absurd. Why else would drug companies spend billions on research and testing?

Yes it is largely a for profit goal (whether it be the drug companies, or the fame of the researcher that does the previously thought impossible)... but there are also many not-for-profit research centers looking for a cure. Research institutes, like the Stowers Institute mentioned in a previous post, universities, etc.

You are probably right though, its all just a worthless waste of time... We should just give up on medical advancements all together.

Seriously dude, cancer is tricky, its not a virus like HIV... Its your own cells. You have to prevent the body from making cells... Hellooooo, thats a primary function of the human body, to regenerate damaged cells. So you have to selectively stop certain cells from splitting, thats not anything like inhibiting a virus.

And while you may be unaware... There have been a lot of advancements in cancer research and treatment. For some forms of skin cancer there is a topical medicine that can eliminate the skin cancer sites.

I am not trying to sound like a non-caring person. But, how long has there been cancer research and yet no cure has been found????

My dad lost his girlfriend of 13 years to cancer, so I know first hand what is like to see someone shrink away and die.

I feel there is way too much money involved, too much money to be made, there for no cure has been found.

Just look at AIDS, they sure took care of that disease pretty quick. Maybe they did not find a total cure. But they have expensive medicines you can take to keep it in check. They sure put the magic back into Magic Johnson.

Why no cure for cancer???? Drug companies/Doctors/Hospitals are all getting rich off of a lot of people dying.

TomTimmerman
07-10-2009, 04:48 PM
I think I'm getting ready to back out of my first pink bat attempt. I was thinking about trying for the Ramon Hernandez. I believe he used his the whole game and went 3-5. Bat in the MLB shows good use. But the signature doesn't look anything like his others. The authentication sticker on the bat is for a Ramon Pink Bat. Does anyone recognize the signature? Did he use someone else's pink bat? Just too many questions for that much money (even though they've lowered the opening bids).

wahboom22
07-10-2009, 06:48 PM
the Ramon Hernandez is actually the Cardinals Skip Schumaker bat.

NFLELCollector
07-12-2009, 02:55 PM
All i can say is WOW!!!!
I was watching The Kazuo "KAZ" Matsui (Houston Astros-2B) Pink Nike Bat, The WINNER (JACK "AZZ" 152) 4 Bid the Bat 15 Hours before the Close, and He should have won it for $540, Instead another Bidder kept submitting Bids in the Closing Minutes and Kept Extending the Auction-JACK152 eventually Won it for $1210 (Including Shipping), So the Moral to this Story (and Listen Carefully JACK AZZ 152) Is don't 4 Bid ANY Auction Item, Because you will get bid up, and end up Paying more for the Item then if you had just Submitted 1 CEILING/MAX BID!!!!

TNT

tigerhidden
07-12-2009, 02:57 PM
All i can say is WOW!!!!
I was watching The Kazuo "KAZ" Matsui (Houston Astros-2B) Pink Nike Bat, The WINNER (JACK "AZZ" 152) 4 Bid the Bat 15 Hours before the Close, and He should have won it for $540, Instead another Bidder kept submitting Bids in the Closing Minutes and Kept Extending the Auction-JACK152 eventually Won it for $1210 (Including Shipping), So the Moral to this Story (and Listen Carefully JACK AZZ 152) Is don't 4 Bid ANY Auction Item, Because you will get bid up, and end up Paying more for the Item then if you had just Submitted 1 CEILING/MAX BID!!!!

TNT

Apparently you didn't see the Pudge bat the night before, I think it went for $2,660 (to the same buyer) and it was game issued.

NFLELCollector
07-12-2009, 03:34 PM
LOL-UNREAL-He must have an ASTRO's FETISH!!!!

I think i will Have a Bunch of ASTRO's Logos put on my Car and then Paint it PINK-Have it Listed for 25K on MLB Auctions as GAME USED ASTROS TEAM CAR , and see if this Clown will bid on it.

Then i will put a HUGE Astros Logo on My Garage Door, and and Paint my house Brink Red and Black and Sell it on MLB Auctions as ASTROS GAME USED HOUSE for 400K to "JACK152"!!!!

Obviously this guy has MORE $$$$$ THEN BRAINS, Must Be Nice!

TNT

chakes89
07-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Well I lost the Jay Bruce bat and Im not too happy about it

Could have went higher but I didn't want to pay that much for a bat that was only used once to hit a pop up

TomTimmerman
07-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Foiled again. Some of the pink bats are being relisted with lower prices. Since I have a few other Ryan Hanigan items I decided to go for it. Also, inspired by the cool photo matches of Kyle, etc. I signed up for a month of mlb.tv. Glad I did. He used a pink bat only in the first of his three at bats. Game video shows it's a M9. The bat for sale on mlb.com - not.

treant985
07-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Have there been any pink SAM Bats? I clicked through the current list and saw LVS, Old Hickory, Rawlings, Max Bat--even a HOOSIER!--but no SAMs. Can't specifically recall seeing one previously, but they've gotta be out there...