PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Pink Bats?

NegleyPirate
05-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone know's what teams used the pink bats? Or how to get one? Any Pirate ones?? plmk mike

pietraynor
05-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Can't say for certain, but I'd guess nearly every team had at least 1 player using pink bats today, either in BP or games..There are some shots on Gettyimages already of players who used them, some nice shots of Griffey Jr's bat..I saw on SportsCenter Milwaukee's Bill Hall used a pink bat during his game winning HR vs the Mets..As for Pirates, there's a pic of Jeromy Burnitz holding one of the bats on the team website...It's likely these will be offerred for auction through MLB.com or team websites in the next few months, good news for collectors!

NegleyPirate
05-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the info! I hope we get a chance to get one. I think hockey did it with game used pink hockey sticks. But not sure. Thanks again Mike

www.jerseydave.com
05-14-2006, 08:22 PM
When I talked to the people for the Texas Rangers to see if the bats would be auctioned at the stadium or through them..they said "no".. I was told that it would most likely be on MLB.com

If you look at gettyimages #57610092 (javascript:OpenChildWindow('http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=57610092&cdi=0', '', 'width=640,height=500,menubar=no,resizable=yes,scr ollbars=yes,status=no,titlebar=no,toolbar=no');) ...thats a awesome shot of the trademark and barrel of David Eckstein's bat...

When hockey did it..the sticks started at $300.00 each.... wonder if the bats will start around the same?

chakes89
05-14-2006, 08:54 PM
The pink bats are going to be auctioned off to benefit cancer at a later date.

porsche544
05-14-2006, 08:54 PM
griffey pink bat

NegleyPirate
05-14-2006, 09:07 PM
A pink Ken Griffey Jr. bat would be a nice piece to have. I bet it will command $2000-$3000. What do you think? Mike

wllump52
05-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Here is the text from the MLB.com web site regarding the use of these bats...

From Yankee Stadium in New York to AT&T Park in San Francisco, it was a day to think pink around Major League Baseball.

Culminating a weeklong initiative designed to create awareness about breast cancer and the importance of early detection as well as raise funds to help fight the disease, Major League Baseball had special Mother's Day programs at all 15 home ballparks.
Players wore pink wristbands and pink ribbons for breast cancer awareness were displayed on player uniforms as well as on all on-field personnel. Specially designed pink bats, supplied by Louisville Slugger, were used by some players and the pink ribbon logo appeared on the bases and on commemorative home plates. Players also checked out the batting orders on pink dugout lineup cards.
The pink plates, bats and lineup cards will be team-autographed and auctioned off on MLB.com (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060513&content_id=1452897&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) at a later date to raise additional funds for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. From May 7 through Saturday, fans and players were able to log onto MLB.com and make a monentary pledge for each strikeout thrown during that period to benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.
"It's a great cause, a great idea," Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter said. "I hope they raise a lot of money."
The pink bats drew a lot of attention, and several hitters showed quickly it's the swing that produces hits -- not the color of the bat.
Yankees left-hander Randy Johnson will vouch for that the pink bats can make a pitcher feel blue. Of the eight Oakland hitters who came up against Johnson in the first inning on Sunday, four used pink bats. Those hitters were a combined 3-for-4. Mark Ellis led off with a pink-bat single. One out later, Mark Kotsay had a pink-bat homer to right field. Jason Kendall later doubled with a pink bat.
"That's the beauty of this game," Yankees infielder Andy Phillips said. "They think of creative things to do to help a good cause, and that's exactly what this is."
In Atlanta, the Braves recognized more than 300 breast cancer survivors. Their family, friends and the Braves Wives surrounded the field and unleashed a stream of pink balloons to signify hope that a cure for breast cancer will be found.
Kyle Davies, whose mother, Carolyn, was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, caught the ceremonial first pitch and the Shades of Pink Breast Cancer Mass Choir delivered the national anthem. The Braves gave a free lower-level tickets to breast cancer survivors and provided them with a pregame reception.
At Jacobs Field in Cleveland, a huge pink ribbon was stretched out in center field. Kate Wedge, wife of manager Eric Wedge, threw out a ceremonial first pitch and was joined by Nina Wedge, Eric's mother, who is a breast cancer survivor. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays provided pink visors to the first 7,500 women attending Sunday's game against Toronto. In addition, carnations were given to the first 2,000 women.
St. Louis regulars Jim Edmonds and David Eckstein were among the players who used a pink bat on Sunday.
"It was an opportunity to honor my mom," Edmonds said. "I also wanted to make people aware of breast cancer. If you look at the numbers with breast cancer both in men and women, you really don't think about it and you wait too long -- it is one of those things to help keep the awareness up."
Eckstein sent a message of love to his mother on her special day by using the pink bat.
"She taught me discipline," Eckstein said. "I just wanted her to know how much she has meant to me."
Prior to the Angels-Mariners game at Angel Stadium, Tim Salmon presented flowers to five mothers and their children. Each child submitted a 25-word essay on why his or her mother was the best. Grand prize winner Carrie Mason (mother) and Monique Mason (daughter) were awarded the first pitch. Four runners-up prizes were also awarded, including batboy and the opportunity to deliver the "play ball" call prior to game time.
In Milwaukee, players presented the moms with flowers, and Doug Davis, Prince Fielder, Bill Hall -- who swatted a walk-off homer with the special lumber -- used the pink bats.
"I put my wife's name on there," said Fielder, who is married to Chanel and has two sons. "She'll appreciate that, so it's good."
Several players around Major League Baseball, including Fielder, talked before Sunday's games about continuing to use the pink bats if they had productive days. But Milwaukee clubhouse boss Tony Migliaccio reminded everyone the bats were approved for use only on Sunday. It was a day for reflection, awareness and celebration of moms everywhere. At 15 Major League ballparks, where "think pink" was a common denominator, an important message was delivered in living color.

suave1477
05-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Well I was watching part of the Yankee game today and they were pointing out how not all the players were using that bats. Jorge Posada had one made up and they showed a picture of it laying in the grass but he did not use it. Bubba Crosby made it noted he was not offered to get a pink bat so he used his regular one for the game and wanted hs mohter to know he still loves her.
Quite of few of the Athletics were not using pink bats. So I guess it was up to the players who ever wanted to particapate!!!

allstarsplus
05-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Quite of few of the Athletics were not using pink bats. So I guess it was up to the players who ever wanted to particapate!!!

"The thought of these big macho men, swinging pink bats to help women with breast cancer ... what a novel idea," Louisville Slugger President John Hillerich said.

Louisville Slugger was the only company that made the pink bats. More than 400 bats were being made, and each player using the bats are set to get 2 bats each. The goal was to get at least 3 to 4 starters per team using the pink Louisville Slugger bats.

The Louisville Slugger factory started making the bats last week. Players were still placing orders as of Tuesday, and bats will probably be made and shipped overnight until Thursday or Friday.

"The response has been phenomenal," Hillerich said. The game bats, along with team signed pink logo bats, the home plates and pink lineup cards, will be autographed by the teams and will be auctioned off later with the proceeds going to the Breast Cancer Foundation.

The bats posed something of a logistical problem for Louisville Slugger. Each player uses a different model and size, so coloring, branding and shipping them for Sunday's game has been a challenge, company spokesman Dan Burgess said.

cjclong
05-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know if the pink bats that were to be used in the Rangers/Red Sox game that was rained out will be auctioned, and since the game was rained out, is there any chance the players from those teams might use them in a subsequent game? I know Teixeria had planned on using one because his mother had cancer.

pietraynor
05-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Re: Texas pink bats, per info on the team website, they weren't sure where or when they would get to use them. Appears the Rangers were one of the first teams to sign up for the fundraiser, kudos to them!

indyred
08-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Have any Red Sox or Rangers surfaced. Did they ever get to use them in a game later? It does seem not all bats from player's made it to mlb auctions. I wonder if some player's kept them for themselves.....

suave1477
08-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Since then I have spoke with Bubba Crosby from the Yankees and why he didnt have a Pink bat. He told me when the representitives from Louisville slugger came to the stadium to ask players to sign up for that bat they approached who ever was there at that time. Bubba was at Batting Practice so they missed him. Bubba also pointed out Melky Cabrera didnt get one and that he was practicing with Bubba.

indyred
09-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Any idea why Thome and Torii Hunter's pink bats have never surfaced. Jim hit a dinger with one. Maybe I missed them, but I don't recall them ever being offered on MLB.com auctions.

thomecollector
09-01-2006, 04:36 PM
That's because Jim kept his. I guess because his mom died from cancer. i doubt you'll see them anywhere. Sorrry!:(

Vintagedeputy
09-02-2006, 08:29 PM
One of my favorite Ryan Zimmerman images. Note the pink emblem on the jersey.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71023224.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABBC18B4E5261F84422