PDA

View Full Version : NBA Jersey Question

kudu
06-30-2009, 11:15 AM
I am looking at buying a Barkley jersey that has the proper tagging of a real NBA jersey, but has an extra "NBA Commemorative Collection" tag sewn on next to the other tags. Does anyone have a jersey with this tag? Is it an authentic, game issued, or game worn?

otismalibu
06-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Pics?

Sixers, Suns, Rockets, Olympic?

kudu
06-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Here are some pics

mbenga28
06-30-2009, 11:37 AM
correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the pro-cuts only have that special tagging?

Texans
06-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I think its just a procut/game issue jersey bc it has the special tagging. I think mbenga28 is correct

Jojo

kudu
06-30-2009, 01:03 PM
OK thanks for the info. So its probably a pro cut / game issue jersey. Does the signature look good? Any Barkley auto experts out there?

otismalibu
06-30-2009, 01:05 PM
procut/game issue jersey

These are two different things, correct?

You can buy a pro-cut (retail) from someone like Jersey Joe, but game issued would be exactly like what is worn on the court...right?

sox83cubs84
06-30-2009, 04:14 PM
This is from the second group of NBA Commemorative Collection retail jerseys that were offered. The triple tagging makes identification of such easier as opposed to a team issue (which these are not). The first group came out in 1991-92, and didn't have the third tag, making identification as not being game used come down to little things, such as NOB font (MJ and Pippen), amount of extra length (Ewing and Drexler), and location of NBA logo on the wrong side (the earlier-issued Barkley). Somewhere in the MEARS Online archives I have written a more detailed piece on what to look for on the first group. The second group (which this Barkley is from) would be most prone to removal of the third tag and/or obliterating the production run on the second tag if someone sought to doctor one to sell as game-used.

Dave M.
Chicago area

kudu
06-30-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure if they are two different things. Do pro cut jerseys have the team size tag along with the manufacturer size tag, or do they just have the manufacturer size tag? This one has both. BTW, the size on this one is a 50 which I believe is pretty close to the size Barkley wore for jerseys.

sox83cubs84
06-30-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure if they are two different things. Do pro cut jerseys have the team size tag along with the manufacturer size tag, or do they just have the manufacturer size tag? This one has both. BTW, the size on this one is a 50 which I believe is pretty close to the size Barkley wore for jerseys.

Pro-cuts in the NBA and NFL usually do carry team-style tagging, but may have other red flags (such as NFL or NBA jerseys that are off-sized, or NFL jerseys that may have tailoring differences).

Whatever that case, the Barkley is an excellent autographed display item, but it never saw Barkley's torso nor the Suns locker room.

Dave M.
Chicago area

kudu
06-30-2009, 04:41 PM
OK Thanks Dave. Appreciate all the info.

kudu
06-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Dave, one more thing, what year did the second group of NBA Commemorative Collection retail jerseys come out?