PDA

View Full Version : Zinn Beck

yanks12025
05-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Can anyone tell me about the Zinn beck bat people.http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/ltCurve.gif

ghostkid
05-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Perhaps you can be a bit more specific with your question? I have several Zinn Beck bats in my collection, so I know a bit about them. I'd be happy to share my opinions, if only I knew what you were asking??? By the way, I'm seriously considering selling off some of the Zinn Beck bats I have.

Kevin
kevinkasper@netzero.com

yanks12025
05-16-2006, 05:17 AM
Im not talking about the person Zinn beck. But theeres a old bat compacy that was named Zinn beck. Like were they made for the players or store model bats.
Thanks

mjkm90
05-16-2006, 07:22 AM
That is what Kevin is refering to. Zinn Beck made dozens of models of bats both pro and store model. What exactly do you want to know about Zinn Beck bats?

ghostkid
05-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks mjkm90, your clarification is exactly what I meant. My Zinn Beck collection doesn't actually include any bats used by zinn Beck, the ballplayer. Instead, they are bats that were manufactured by the Zinn Beck Bat Company, out of Greenville, SC. I have bats of Lou Gehrig, Rogers Hornsby, George Sisler, KiKiCuyler, and Rube Ellis. All of these are 100 Diamond Ace models that have been authenticated/graded by MEARS as professional model bats, along with an Extra Special model of Rogers Hornsby. According to MEARS, if I understand correctly, all of the sidewritten Zinn Beck bats that have documented major league use were either the 100 Diamond Ace or the Extra Special model bats. Other models do exist, such as model 300 or model 400, but there is no photo evidence or sidewritten examples from the H/B archives to prove those models were ever used in major league ballgames. It's possible, but not a foregone conclusion until some hard evidence shows up supporting their use in professional baseball.

If you are still curious, Troy Kinunen has written and posted (1/3/2006) an excellent article posted on the MEARS website (www.mearsonline.com) that is probably the most complete Zinn Beck reference available. You'll have to search for it in the News Archive, but its worth the read. I'm looking forward to the updated info they are working on.

If anyone is interested, I'm likely going to sell my Hornsby 100 Diamond Ace, Sisler 100 Diamond Ace, Cuyler 100 Diamond Ace, and Ellis 100 Diamond Ace. All of them are authenticated/graded by MEARS as professional model bats. Let me know if you're interested and I'll provide some details & pictures.

Kevin
kevinkasper@netzero.com

b.heagy
05-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Kevin. Since you have 100 Diamond Ace models in your collection I was wondering about a Ken Williams ZB that I have. It is a 100 Diamond Ace but under the label it has "Type of bat used by K Williams" burned into the bat. Nothing on barrel. ZB logo stamped on end of knob. Possible pro model or store bought? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

ghostkid
05-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Your K Williams Zinn Beck 100 Diamond Ace bat sounds very much like all of my 100 Diamond Ace bats, except that none of mine have the player's first initial. Under the center label, all of mine are stamped with TYPE OF BAT USED BY ******, with last name only. All of mine also have the ZB knob stamping and nothing stamped on the barrel. Based on MEARS authenticating each of my bats as pro models, I'd venture a guess that your bat would also pass the MEARS review if you chose to have it authenticated.

Kevin

b.heagy
05-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Kevin, Thanks for the reply. That is a big help. These bats are tough to find and is hard to find someone with a selection of these to compare them to. By the way I compliment your collection, that is an amazing assortment and I know that is just a handful. Take Care Bill

mjkm90
05-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Kevin, that is an amazing accumulation of Zinn Beck lumber. They are quite rare and undervalued IMO. Like Batrites, I think the interest will grow over time. While it is a bugger to prove game use, the possibility is always there and the price/scarcity factor compared to H&Bs makes them a sound investment. Again IMO.

Mike H.

ghostkid
05-16-2006, 08:44 PM
I completely agree that the Zinn Beck's are quite undervalued and a good investment at theeir current prices...atleast for the pro model bats. I've noticed a remarkable gain in value just over the past year, and I think its very possible they will double or triple in value in the not-too-distant future (12-18 months)...especially if more pictures are discovered that show major leaguers using the Zinn Beck bats. It seems the Hanna Batrite bats are in a similar boat, but many of those have already sold for big $$$. All of the Zinn Becks that I have been watching sell for decent prices...but not the big $$$ (yet!).

I'm somewhat amazed that, while the vintage bat collecting hobby seems to be maturing, many collectors still seem to limit themelves to collecting only the Hillerich/Bradsby 125 bats, ignoring other brands such as Spalding/Kren/Hanna/ZinnBeck due almost exclusively to a lack of factory records. I feel the hobby still needs to do some fact-finding and research on these other brands, especially the Zinn Beck Bat Company. Once more information is available, more people will be collecting these bats and the prices will appreciate accordingly.

My feeling is that, while factory records documenting a particular bat are quite desirable, a vintage bat that is absent of factory records but satisfying certain other criteria is still a bat that documents the history of the game and and will always be sought out by true collectors.

By the way, I LOVE THIS HOBBY!!! If possible, I encourage all of you non-bat collectors to make an attempt to experience the thrill of swinging a game used bat of one of the true icons of baseball (not Barry Bonds). Its a feeling like no other...but be careful...you might get hooked.

Kevin

earlywynnfan
05-18-2006, 07:42 AM
If you are looking to sell the Ken Wms bat, Please keep me in mind. I'd like to get one.

Regards, Ken

b.heagy
05-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Ken, Thanks for the interest. I will keep you in mind when I decide to sell.