PDA

View Full Version : How much value does an auto add?

brianborsch
07-02-2009, 11:37 PM
I have a game issued bat and it is auto'd. Well, for some reason part of the auto is beginning to rub off? I was just curious how much value does an auto add (if any)? I mean, I actually would prefer the bat without it, so I may just rub the rest of it off. Hell, the auto is probably worthless now that some of it is gone.

Your thoughts?

BB

NEFAN
07-03-2009, 07:40 AM
In my opinion, an auto doesn't hurt the value, but reduces the number of people who my buy it. There are alot of collectors who do not want an auto'd item.

suicide_squeeze
07-03-2009, 11:20 AM
In my opinion, an auto doesn't hurt the value, but reduces the number of people who my buy it. There are alot of collectors who do not want an auto'd item.

.....Which I always find comical.

This is a loaded question, but I'll give you my two cents.

If the bat is signed by the player, and the player is deceased, it's worth more, PERIOD.

If the player is a famous player, the item is worth more signed.

If the signature is approaching the "undesirable" point because the signature is partially rubbed off, scratched off, etc., then it's your personal choice to complete the removal.....but remember that a "game days" signature is always more desirable than a later in life signature. Again, there are rules to that exception too.....if the athlete is a superstar, a signature from ANY point of his life is highly desirable.

Isn't that why they have sports signings?

If the signature is undesirable, and the player is still alive and actively doing signings, it makes the choice rather easy for you. The only question then becomes would it be worth it to you to pay the athlete for a new clean signature on the bat.

Lastly, it's basically personal preference. If you want your item signed, then that's all that matters. I think everyone would agree that a game used item signed in a desirable location, and a good quality signature, by the athlete in question, makes the item worth more. It's kind of the ultimate "christening" by the player of his/her item.

There is apparently an exception to that rule by the "purists" in the game used collecting hobby, and that is the hockey jersey collectors. One of my best friends collects game used hockey jerseys, and for whatever reason, the deep-down hard-core collectors in that arena prefer unsigned jerseys. Some even claim "If it's signed, it's ruined". I can't understand that logic, and never will, but to each his own.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. But I am just curious.....what player is this bat of?

Tay1038
07-03-2009, 11:52 AM
.....Which I always find comical.

This is a loaded question, but I'll give you my two cents.

If the bat is signed by the player, and the player is deceased, it's worth more, PERIOD.

If the player is a famous player, the item is worth more signed.

If the signature is approaching the "undesirable" point because the signature is partially rubbed off, scratched off, etc., then it's your personal choice to complete the removal.....but remember that a "game days" signature is always more desirable than a later in life signature. Again, there are rules to that exception too.....if the athlete is a superstar, a signature from ANY point of his life is highly desirable.

Isn't that why they have sports signings?

If the signature is undesirable, and the player is still alive and actively doing signings, it makes the choice rather easy for you. The only question then becomes would it be worth it to you to pay the athlete for a new clean signature on the bat.

Lastly, it's basically personal preference. If you want your item signed, then that's all that matters. I think everyone would agree that a game used item signed in a desirable location, and a good quality signature, by the athlete in question, makes the item worth more. It's kind of the ultimate "christening" by the player of his/her item.

There is apparently an exception to that rule by the "purists" in the game used collecting hobby, and that is the hockey jersey collectors. One of my best friends collects game used hockey jerseys, and for whatever reason, the deep-down hard-core collectors in that arena prefer unsigned jerseys. Some even claim "If it's signed, it's ruined". I can't understand that logic, and never will, but to each his own.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. But I am just curious.....what player is this bat of?

Very well said! I agree with you 100%

brianborsch
07-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks for you input! My desire was to just remove it as part of the auto is coming off and to me it is an eyesore now. I just didn't want to make a dumb mistake, but I guess the recurring lesson here is: What do I prefer? Because regardless if the item loses value, if it doesn't bring me enjoyment, then why keep it?

The bat is an Ichiro Suzuki bat, and it was a clean full auto, but somehow it started to rub or flake off. Thanks to your input and my realizations I have just rubbed it out and the bat looks great! I actually like it better without it.

joelsabi
07-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for you input! My desire was to just remove it as part of the auto is coming off and to me it is an eyesore now. I just didn't want to make a dumb mistake, but I guess the recurring lesson here is: What do I prefer? Because regardless if the item loses value, if it doesn't bring me enjoyment, then why keep it?

The bat is an Ichiro Suzuki bat, and it was a clean full auto, but somehow it started to rub or flake off. Thanks to your input and my realizations I have just rubbed it out and the bat looks great! I actually like it better without it.

sorry to hear it rubbed off. just wondering how you stored the bat and to see if you think it was preventable or not. i just dont think something can rub off on its own. thanks

glad the results worked out for you tho.

Vintagedeputy
07-03-2009, 12:55 PM
On a game issued bat, an auto would add value, imho.

On a game used bat, I could take or leave the auto.

brianborsch
07-03-2009, 06:20 PM
i stored it in a long sock and in a bat box. it started when my hand brushed an edge of the sig an some of it just came right off. then more came off when i pulled it out of the box once as well. so i may have decreased the value but i dont plan on selling this. Especially now since i prob. wouldn't be able to get my money back.

Antonio D.
02-20-2010, 01:47 PM
WHAT!? You rubbed off an Ichiro Suzuki autograph off his game used bat?! What!?

You should have kept it there to preserve that autograph! Goodness! :eek:

But that's just my two cents because Ichiro is my favorite MLB player.

Good luck though, man.... you were this close to keeping the value of that baseball bat.

Oh well, to each his own.

Do you, by any chance, have an Ichiro Suzuki autographed baseball?

flota89
02-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Do you have a picture of this bat? I would love to see.

Manram
02-20-2010, 02:50 PM
I personally never like to have bats signed. If it was me i would rub it off

scootmagroot
02-20-2010, 04:09 PM
I wouldnt want any bat that is unsigned. I think it adds value and a personal touch if it is signed. I actually wanna get rid of the bats I have that arent signed, and wont be able to get signed.....but thats just me.

LastingsMilledge85
02-20-2010, 04:11 PM
For me bats, an auto or not doesn't really make a difference. I do not like helmets or jerseys signed. The only things I really like signed are player fielding or batting gloves and cleats, caps I could careless either way.

Mat2786@aol.com
02-20-2010, 04:20 PM
I like to get try and get my bats signed by the player if the bat is not signed. I like to see there expression. I got a Pat Burrell bat signed by him and he was excited when I brought it to him, he was like wow this bat was from a long time ago, he picked it up as if he were batting with it and then looked at the use on it, talked to us about it and then signed perfect on the middle of the barrell with a big signature. I've also gotten a few game bat used bats signed by Ryan Howard and Chase Utley. I think it is just fun to get players to sign your game used item and in my opinion an autograph on an item adds to the value.

Matt

rays54
02-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Signature on a bat is good only if the signee writes his name boldly across the bat and readable. Regards jerseys never on a cool base uniform except on the numbers.

JCC1968
02-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi

My two cents is the bat or any piece of memorbilia is worth more signed. I actually try and collect memorbilia of living HOFers and have them sign it. Lathe bats, gamers, and game issued models. just my opinion.

Jason

philsfan
02-20-2010, 09:35 PM
I like to get try and get my bats signed by the player if the bat is not signed. I like to see there expression. I got a Pat Burrell bat signed by him and he was excited when I brought it to him, he was like wow this bat was from a long time ago, he picked it up as if he were batting with it and then looked at the use on it, talked to us about it and then signed perfect on the middle of the barrell with a big signature. I've also gotten a few game bat used bats signed by Ryan Howard and Chase Utley. I think it is just fun to get players to sign your game used item and in my opinion an autograph on an item adds to the value.

Matt

Matt - Where did you get the Howard signature? I have a Howard gamer from the Phillies and I would love to get it signed. Thanks.

Mat2786@aol.com
02-21-2010, 02:09 AM
I met Ryan twice once at B and C Collectibles when they were doing a signing and I met him at the Phillies fanfest. He signed my bat, but he won't add any inscription. His agent is right there and won't allow it, I asked him and he looked like he wanted too, but she was quick to stop him. You might want to try to get it signed this year at the fanfest. He has I believe two years left on his contract with the phils. But I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year with the phillies, as they put a trade clause in his final year with the phils and they won't have or won't want to spend the money on him after his contract is up :( . Just my opinion, I just hope the phils don't lose both Howard and Werth.

Matt

legaleagle92481
02-21-2010, 03:04 AM
I met Ryan twice once at B and C Collectibles when they were doing a signing and I met him at the Phillies fanfest. He signed my bat, but he won't add any inscription. His agent is right there and won't allow it, I asked him and he looked like he wanted too, but she was quick to stop him. You might want to try to get it signed this year at the fanfest. He has I believe two years left on his contract with the phils. But I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year with the phillies, as they put a trade clause in his final year with the phils and they won't have or won't want to spend the money on him after his contract is up :( . Just my opinion, I just hope the phils don't lose both Howard and Werth.

Matt

Howard is not going anywhere. He is only 30 will be putting up MVP type numbers for the next 6-7 years. Howard cannot be replaced unless they get Pujols which is not happening and would leave a carter in their lineup and kill any chance they have of going back to the Series. Howard will get a deal slightly less than Teixera's (because Mark is a much better defensive player and a couple of years younger when he signed the deal) only four teams in baseball can afford that: Mets, Yanks, BoSox and Phils. Yanks have a first baseman, Bo Sox will get Adrian Gonzalez at some point in next year or so, the Mets are their biggest rival so noway the Phils allow that so I would be stunned if he left.

philsfan
02-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Matt:

Thanks for the advice. I plan to attend this year. Let's just hope he is still signing game used items. I assume he still will. No chance Howard doesn't get a deal. The Phillies Core 4 of Howard, Utley, Hamels and Rollins are in Philly for the next few years. Amaro would be strung up if he even tried to make a move...expect perhaps Hamels. Don't be surprised to see Lee back as a Philly come the trade deadline. I saw a quote from Utley that said something like, "I'm looking forward to playing behind Lee again in the future." I think it all depends on how things go with Hamels.

I have a new Dykstra bat. Anyone know if he plans to show at any events in Philly or NY? Would love to get it signed.