PDA

View Full Version : AMI: Another doctored Josh Hamilton jersey?

kingjammy24
07-05-2009, 11:38 AM
in their fall 2008 auction, GUU had a 2007 josh hamilton jersey up for auction. upon closer in-person examination of the jersey, rob steinmetz noted that "..it definitely appears as if the original size tag was removed, and the size 50 tag was added. There is definite evidence of cut stitching behind the tag, where the original size flag tag was likely removed...it does not measure out to a size 50...the size tag was likely altered on this jersey." GUU ended up pulling the jersey from their auction. here is the original listing:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=19258

The GUU jersey had a retail code of 6200, a "gw 2007" inscription and an MLB hologram that showed up in the MLB database as a game-used jersey.

AMI currently has a 2007 home josh hamilton jersey with a retail code of 6200, a "gw 2007" inscription and an MLB hologram that shows up in the MLB database as a game-used jersey:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=49531

the crazy part? the AMI tag is cut in the exact same place as the GUU tag:

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2301/sillyh.jpg

the inscriptions and stains on the front seem to indicate they're two different jerseys. as well, they have different MLB hologram numbers. they just both happen to have the mfr/size tag altered in the same exact way.

rudy.

suicide_squeeze
07-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Apparently the guy who made the original one thought he had done such a good job, that he made multiple jerseys (at least two, case in point here).

Sadly, there are so many people out there in the world who do not know better, and are unaware of this site.

kingjammy24
07-05-2009, 02:09 PM
how is it that the MLB holograms show up correctly in the MLB database though? were the holograms taken from other josh hamilton home gamers?

rob steinmetz stated that the GUU hamilton did not measure out to a 50. i can't see a legitimate reason why someone would swap out a size tag in order to put an incorrect size on a jersey.

rudy.

hrvatwill
07-05-2009, 03:20 PM
@kingjammy24,

Really good eye in spotting that.

As I understand it, retail jerseys do not come in a size 50, but rather go straight from 48 to 52, so my guess is that either a size 48 or 52 tag was swapped out for the size 50 to give it an air of legitimacy. Either that or Hamilton typically wears a size 50 (I have no idea there). Just my thoughts.

yanks12025
07-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Did anyone else notice 75% of their game used items were on ebay in the last month.

xpress34
07-05-2009, 06:31 PM
@kingjammy24,

Really good eye in spotting that.

As I understand it, retail jerseys do not come in a size 50, but rather go straight from 48 to 52, so my guess is that either a size 48 or 52 tag was swapped out for the size 50 to give it an air of legitimacy. Either that or Hamilton typically wears a size 50 (I have no idea there). Just my thoughts.

I've been trying to find out if this is in fact the case with Majestic jerseys.

I do know that during Rawlings and Russells days of making MLB jerseys that Retail was only available in 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60.

The 'in-between' sizes were all for Club Issue Only - 38, 42, 46, 50, 54, 58, but the Retail sizes were also available to clubs for better tailored, better fitting jerseys.

No one has yet been able to verify that the sizing has remained the same, but I would expect that it would have.

- Chris

ziggy
07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Any chance of the holograms being forged?