PDA

View Full Version : 19th Century Baseball

b.heagy
05-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Greetings fellow members, I am new to this forum. This is a very cool place to share the knowledge of other collectors. I came across a neat piece that I thought I should share with all of you that love the vintage memorabilia as much as I do. My first thought was that this could be a box top for the Jersey Shirts or could be the store display sign. Made of cardboard stock. Has anyone ever seen one before? Any thoughts or comments?
Bill

vintagesportscollector
05-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Wow!! Boy....I like that piece. Amazing how they show a similar shirt being used in all different walks of life. Very significant. Never seen it before, but I think you could be sport on with the box top or advertising sign. Where did you get it?

b.heagy
05-16-2006, 06:34 PM
I found it at an antique market about 4 weeks ago. The person I bought it from sold everything from glass to trash and I stumbled across this piece and could not believe my eyes. It was a rainy day leaving me with less competition in the field. Thank god the dealer was under a tent. One of my many wonderful finds "in the field" at Antique Markets.

vintagesportscollector
05-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Congrats! What other antique markets find's have you had that are worth sharing? What types of stuff do you collect?

-Joe

b.heagy
05-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I collect just about anything pre 1960 with a main focus on turn of the century baseball that trips my interest. I have found many great things along the way such as an Ernie Banks 1960s game used bat, Ralph Kiner Game used bat (index), Ted Williams Rookie era game used bat, a wonderful 19th century Spalding pillbox hat are among the studs that I have been fortunate to come across. I find items to add to my collection or to sell/trade every weekend. The studs are few and far in between in my travels but it just prooves that it is still out there waiting to be found.

vintagesportscollector
05-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Do you still have the 19th century Spalding pillbox hat? Please do share any pics you have of the hat, including the Spalding tag/label, if you can. I would love to see that!!!! I am big Spalding uniform collector and go gaga over anything Spalding from the early 1900s or 19h century.

Sounds like you have some good antique markets in you area. I wish I could say the same. I live in NJ.

http://www.geocities.com/vintagesportscollector/

-Joe

b.heagy
05-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Here is a shot of the hat that might be used in an upcoming article on the hat. I will try to post a picture of the Spalding logo later. It is worn but it is there. I am in a great area for finding antiques. I do have to admit I am spoiled by dealers holding things for me as I help run one of the largest markets on the strip in PA. I don't get everything because I get very busy but I have no complaints. Let me know what you think of the hat.

mjkm90
05-16-2006, 07:30 PM
HOLY CRAP that is a nice CAP! Do you have any figural trophies, ring bats, or mushrooms to share?

Mike H.

b.heagy
05-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi Mike,
Thanks, this hat is one of my most prized posessions. Beleive it or not I do not have any mushroom bats at the moment. Those are one of the things that eludes me on my hunts. I have alot of trophies but nothing worth writing home about. I have attached a quick photo of the inside of the hat, tough to see but the Spalding logo is there.
Bill

b.heagy
05-16-2006, 07:37 PM
sorry for the large images, I am still trying to figure out how this all works.

vintagesportscollector
05-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Bill- Holy Crap in deed! If I ever came across that at an antique market I would sh-t my pants. I recognize the cap from your ebay listings. (btw- I just won the "RAA" jersey from you..thanks!) I am a bit of an expert on Spalding tagging and labeling. What wording does it say in the bottom of the outer circle?

-Joe K.

b.heagy
05-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks Joe. For the compliment and for the sale :D . Not sure what it says in the circle under the Spalding name. Too worn to tell and I do not currently have another example from the era to compare it to.

vintagesportscollector
05-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Bill- Email me and I could share some thoughts on dating this cap if you would like. You can find my email on my sites homepage.

Thanks again for sharing. Please do post some more display pics when you can. I believe you have some nice cabinets full of stuff to share that the group would love to see.

Welcome aboard!!