PDA

View Full Version : Is the season over for the Mets?

LastingsMilledge85
07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm a long time Mets fan, but I'm just tired of watching them anymore. Minaya seems like he doesn't care anymore after stating that his injured players are not coming back anytime soon, and that there is no one on the trade market better than Reyes or Beltran. But last time I checked both aren't playing, and I feel that there are better players on the Market than Martinez, Cora, Tatis, Murphy, etc. Nothing would make me happier to see Minaya gone, and Adam Dunn a Met. I have to say though after tonight, and the past few weeks I think their season is over. Any thoughts?

suicide_squeeze
07-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm a long time Mets fan, but I'm just tired of watching them anymore. Minaya seems like he doesn't care anymore after stating that his injured players are not coming back anytime soon, and that there is no one on the trade market better than Reyes or Beltran. But last time I checked both aren't playing, and I feel that there are better players on the Market than Martinez, Cora, Tatis, Murphy, etc. Nothing would make me happier to see Minaya gone, and Adam Dunn a Met. I have to say though after tonight, and the past few weeks I think their season is over. Any thoughts?

LM85,

I truly feel for you.

I'm not sure what the answer is for the Mets, but just know there is hope somewhere down the road. One day, someone with power will make the right changes in the make-up of this organization.

But right now, I have to tell you......their season was over before it even began. They have "dead chemistry". They are perennial losers, and nothing the team does seems to improve the situation. No amount of money spent, no new faces, nothing. That's a problem.

As a life-long Dodger fan, we just went through our 20-year spell of the same pain. We're out of it, and on top of the baseball world......and I'm talking without Manny, too. With him?.....well, like I said earlier this season, they can start making the Dodger World Series Champion trophys right now.

In the case of your Mets, they have a good core group of position players, and you've got a closer now that's a winner. But honestly, the roster needs a MAJOR once-over, a cleaning of house, if you will. They need to find a group that clicks together.....they don't have that now. And they also need to start with a real manager. Jerry Manuel's not going to take your team anywhere but into the off-season.

Good luck, hang in there......a true fan is a life-long fan.....even when you think it's time to throw in the towel. Someone, one day, will fix it.

LastingsMilledge85
07-07-2009, 10:40 PM
I had a feeling before this season started that it wasn't going to be as good as expected. I felt that the Division Title would go back to the Braves, but I guess I'm wrong there. I love their rotation, and they have some nice hitters. Anyway, the Mets need to break up the "core" of the team because it's not working, and they have no heart. I can't wait for a block buster trade maybe with Pittsburgh. Bring in McCutchen, Duke, Sanchez and give them Beltran, Wright, Maine, and whatever else they want. Pitt can throw in my man Milledge to make me happy for once as a Mets fan as well.

Swoboda4
07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
The season is over. Even in 1969 when they were 10+ out they went and got Donn Clendenon from the Pirates and they tried,and won.

Its funny how today the players come out of the game for every hang nail. Thats because of the money/agents . If todays Mets team played in 1969 nobody would be "disabled". Because they would be out the door and labeled a complainer to other owners. Just watched a Yankeeography were Mantle limped around and performed. I tell you what who cares about the current crop when all they're thinking about is a future contract. These players are healing themselves for their future team at out expense. there 's no broken bones here.

LastingsMilledge85
07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Some guys on the team are seriously injured though. We need guys, ufortunately they are rare, like Nails (Lenny Dykstra). He was so gritty, so dirty, and played hard. A great player to have on the team. Unfortunately the Mets have one of the WORST GM's in the game, who will play through it until the wounded come back, despite the fact the return doesn't look eminent. I would love to see someone like Willie Harris come in, along with a slugger. Unfortunately that won't happen.

TNTtoys
07-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Some guys on the team are seriously injured though. We need guys, ufortunately they are rare, like Nails (Lenny Dykstra). He was so gritty, so dirty, and played hard. A great player to have on the team. Unfortunately the Mets have one of the WORST GM's in the game, who will play through it until the wounded come back, despite the fact the return doesn't look eminent. I would love to see someone like Willie Harris come in, along with a slugger. Unfortunately that won't happen.

Funny you should mention "nails" -- he just filed for bankruptcy today...

suave1477
07-08-2009, 03:52 PM

I found this this reply personally funny lol

Seriously injured??? Who Beltran with a bruised knee bone lol lol
Come on, do you know how many times as a kid I have banged, bruised, cut, slammed my knees on cement?? You know what I got?? A slap from my parents and told walk it off.
I am sure his is a bit more serious but still what is an actual Bone Bruise on grass or dirt????

Dykstra funny you mention him, I just posted a thread about him. Not to mind have the time if not most the time he was juiced up. I am sure none of that came into play.

One of the worst GM's??? funny how people say that when just a few years ago Mets fans were praising the very dirt he walks on because finally you got a GM who wasn't afraid to go out there and spend some money on the RIGHT players.

This is just my opinion I think what the Mets need is some real solid veteran players to really teach the younger guys to cut out the baby crap and become a TEAM.
If you think about it everyone on the Mets is young and the couple of older players are not the take you under my wing types and really don't have the experieince themselves to even do that.

Wright and Reyes both star players on the team, growing up on the team as stars (egos) with no one really pulling the 2 together.
Santana new to the team
k rod new to the team
Beltran coming from teams that didn't get the Media coverage as you do when your in New York to a team of young kids - a lot on his shoulders
Piazza on his way out as the young talent was being brought on
Paul Lo Duca in and out
The list goes on and on

You need real chemistry with young and old
Thats how 69 Mets did it
Thats how 86 Mets did it
Thats how the Mid to late 90's Yankees did it
And even the 2000 Mets did it

LastingsMilledge85
07-08-2009, 05:26 PM
I think there's more to Beltran's injury than most people think. He really has a serious injury, the Mets didn't fly him to Vail for the hell of it for potential surgery. IMO, he may have the worst injury of all the players, except Wags, who will be the first Met back.

dcrules01
07-08-2009, 05:27 PM
You need real chemistry with young and old
Thats how 69 Mets did it
Thats how 86 Mets did it
Thats how the Mid to late 90's Yankees did it
And even the 2000 Mets did it

Amen

Dykstra is still one of my favorite players of all time.

I haven't watched the last few games it has been to heartbreaking and I am a die hard.I have stuck through many high and lows and i'll still be there as I was the last two Sept. Something has to give injuries or not they just are playing bad baseball right now...

metsbats
07-08-2009, 06:17 PM
It ain't over till it's over.

Plenty of baseball to play.

Hopefully they'll be in striking distance when Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, and Maine come back. Don't forget Putz too.

Last two years it looked like the cat was in the bag only to see them collapse during the last 2-3 weeks of the season.

Ya Gotta Believe!

raider1088
07-08-2009, 06:31 PM
i've been following the mets since the early 70's and believe me we've had some bad periods,I.e mid 70-s to 83,92 to 98,and 01 to 06.but believe me when i tell you this,this has got to be the biggest bunch of jokers i have ever seen.how do you justify charging fans the money for the AAA product on the field. and you can't bring anybody in because we have no farm system,minaya and bernardzard shot that to hell.

i think minaya and bernardzard need to shown the door.and while we're at let's send jerry and his merry bunch of underchieving crybabies with them.

get wally backman in here as manager,trade either beltran and/or reyes for some top tier talent and restock the farm system.get a solid baseball man in here at gm like pat gillick.tell little jeffie wilpon go back to his sandbox and butt out.let's get rid of this los mets thing and start getting some solid players.

if i'm rambling i'm sorry but i can't stand watching this team anymore.this is the first time ,even in the bad years that i can't wait for rangers training camp to start.this team is freaking pathetic!!!!!!

LastingsMilledge85
07-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Putz, who? I want to forget him, he was dreadful when he pitched. He did however, bring in a lot of energy to this team which I liked. He's a good man, just didn't pitch well so far this year. Even as a "true" fan, I'm so fed up with this team, that I almost root for the Phillies and Marlins to win because the Mets can't rely on other teams to lose.

mbrieve
07-09-2009, 10:57 AM
When I saw this video, it reminded me of this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srlxW33QTdQ

LastingsMilledge85
07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
There are so many more bad plays the Mets have made. The last Saturday game in Philadelphia, Church missing third base costing the Mets a game, etc. But last night you may not have seen a better play made by a Mets player since Chavez's catch.
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090708&content_id=5776514&vkey=news_nym&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym

dcrules01
07-09-2009, 04:26 PM
That was incredible..I loved it I was smiling the rest of the night until K Rod almost blew another one :D

Laser110
07-09-2009, 04:52 PM
YES!!! :)

Scott

metsbats
07-11-2009, 05:57 AM
We just got rid of Ryan "I can't find 3rd base" Church for Jeff Francoeur.

Looks like a case of I'll take your underachiever if you take ours.

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090710&content_id=5804160&vkey=news_nym&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym