PDA

View Full Version : Is It Safe To Invest In Vladimir Guerrero?

spartakid
07-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Ok, so as you may have seen, I've been looking for a nice Vlad bat for a while, but I've recently questioned whether it's a good idea because of the steroid scandal. My thought is that there's a pretty good chance that he and other power hitters used steroids. So, my question is, should I invest some $450 on a great bat of his, with the very real possibility that his name is released and then the bat becomes worthless (virtually). I know that this possibility exists for every player. but there's certain guys that you just have that gut feeling about, and unfortunately for me he's one of those players I have that feeling about. Help!! thank you, Ricardo

NOTE: This is not an accusation of any sort, just my opinions/thoughts and I sincerely hope that Vlad is and always has been clean.

camarokids
07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I would not invest in any modern era/current players. Maybe invest in vintage players from years ago.

I would just collect what you like and what makes you happy.

Otherwise, if you want to invest your money buy gold bullion or US Gold Coins....

ziggy
07-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Don't INVEST any any of this stuff. Buy it because you like it

Fnazxc0114
07-08-2009, 02:09 PM
vlad looks like hes about 40, but if you like him go for it. i hate to see him play my rangers.

spartakid
07-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Maybe the word invest wasn't the right word, I like Vlad as a player, which is why I was thinking about the bat in the first place. But I don't want the things I buy to end up being worthless either, it's a balance of the two for me I guess. Hope that makes sense. I guess the real question I'm asking is whether you guys think it's likely Vlad used/will get could with steroids? thanks, Ricardo

nationals2k9
07-08-2009, 03:49 PM
When Manny was named I was bothered for about 10 minutes and then realized the whole steroid deal is beginning to be a non-issue to a whole lot of people... including many baseball "experts." I have continued to expand my collection as I was doing before and haven't really had a second thought. As was mentioned, it's about the player and how much you enjoy following him and collecting his stuff. I think Manny will always be one of the most-skilled hitters of my lifetime and already is one of the bigger characters/clowns/etc in sports history - both good and bad.

Likewise, Vlad will go down as one of the most feared, free-swinging, solid power/contact hitters on the last 20 years, and early in his career... had an absolute gun from the OF. If the people on this board and in the media that link steroids to "cheater" and "worthless" and you're scared Vlad may join that group... I agree you're looking at it all the wrong way!

scottanservitz
07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Ricardo,
I read your post earlier today and was going to post on it, but I decided to wait and think about it some more. My feelings are this, if you like the player and have followed him throughout his career then you are a fan. If you collect game used stuff because of that reason then the whole steroid thing should be secondary. These players are going to be talked about tomorrow...ten years.....fifty years from now. Ty Cobb was known as a dirty player. Gaylord Perry was known for having used Vasoline. The list goes on and on. Steroids are a part of the modern player legacy. Like it or not that isn't going to change. The prices have corrected themselves accordingly. If you are going to invest, I'd suggest going with HOF players. If you are going to collect players of today then the steroid thing is going to be linked to them forever. I have a Manny gamer and a Vlad. I enjoy watching them today with or without the steroid thing attached to them. Fans truly are moving on with baseball as it is. I enjoy the game. I enjoy the players. It is what it is and we have to either move on or live with it. I've chosen to live with it. That is what you need to decide on. I think I already know the answer. Good luck on your endeavor.

Scott

spartakid
07-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks guys, I think you answered my question, a lot deeper than I had expected:D , so I think I'm going to think about this one, and then follow my heart:p I'm going to try and negotiate the price, because I believe it was high to begin with. thanks for your guys' help. Ricardo

Lokee
07-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Otherwise, if you want to invest your money buy gold bullion or US Gold Coins....

For sure that and silver.

bigtruck260
07-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't INVEST any any of this stuff. Buy it because you like it

Agree 100%.

My collection of modern players is mostly commons - that were my personal faves. Unless you are willing to put tens of thousands into the highest-end merch., don't use GU to invest.

You CAN however use it to fund future purchases that might be out of reach financially....:D

Jags Fan Dan
07-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Yep, there are no safe bets today. Ask the A-Rod and Manny collectors. Like others have said, buy what you like and forget about re-sale. If that is not financially possible and you need safety in the purchase, don't buy any modern players stuff.

byergo
07-14-2009, 09:01 PM
If you want to invest buy this stock: MNKD. You can thank me later.

Don't "invest" in modern players where nearly 100% of them are major risks for involvement in the HGH/Steroid scandal. You really can't say that there is even one player in the game that is above question at this point.

David
07-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Irrelevant to steroids, I would be careful of investing in active superstars, as their prices often soften to fall over time wither or not there is a scandal. Michael Jordan's and Joe Montana's autograph and rookie card prices have fallen dramatically, and they were two of the most popular players and free of scandal. If Jordan's and Montana's prices fall after retirement, don't expect Guerrero's to rise under the same circumstances.

If you want stability in prices, it may be best to long at long since retired players. If anything, I would guess that folks like George Brett might be more popular 15 years from now.