PDA

View Full Version : Should I Donate Vintage Honus Wagner Collection?

Utopian2630
05-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Hi Everyone,
New to the forum, but because of the forum have a rejuvenated in the hobby, (sure beats wasting money on clothing!! haha)
Several years ago, I went to an antique auction where they were auctioning items from Honus Wagner's estate. The auction wasn't widely publicized, thus few collectors were there. In fact it was Honus's estate and that or a former dentist being auctioned off at the same time. Anyway, I purchased several items at the auction (all of which came from sign affidavits from his great granddaughter stating that they were in fact Honus's and in fact were in his house.
The items of note I ended up buying were
1. Framed newspaper that hung in his den Dated June 21 1909 which features a headline stating "It Takes Pittsburgh Eleven Innings To Beat St. Louis Cardinals". It features a large chacture of Honus as well as box scored and some interesting stories.
2. Postcards in a frame after very very very carefully removed feature handwritten correspondence between Honus and his wife. ( I had a hunch that the framed postcards might have signatures on them...sure enough they did) They date from the early 1900's-1910, can't remember the exact post-markings since I only carefully removed them once just to see what was on the back.
3. His telephone (seriously)
4. Various lot of statues and other random related items (since they were pretty cheap)

All said I believe I spent maybe $500-600 at the auction, and I wouldn’t part with the items since they were a college graduation gift. Recently, however through my work in PR, I met someone from a history museum who asked if I would be willing to donate the items. Now, I surely want to keep the items in my collection, but would really love to have these items on display for others to see because they are very fascinating (especially the post cards with the handwritten notes).

Any thoughts on what I should do? Should I donate but with a caveat that the items would be returned to me at a later date?

Thanks a lot for any help, I'll post pictures in the next few days as soon as work slows down later in the week.

Great forum and I look forward to reading more posts in the future.

Stephen

darylv1
05-16-2006, 09:56 PM
How about loaning them to the museum? That way, they still belong to you, but you get the pleasure of knowing that other people will be able to appreciate the items too.

icollectDCsports
05-16-2006, 10:41 PM
What museum is it? Will the items really be on display? If so, for how long? What assurances will the museum give you?

In my opinion, collectors should be very careful in donating items to museums. Often, museums will put items in storage, where they will be preserved for the sake of history, but out of sight. Be sure what the museum will do with your items. Most likely, they will NOT give you the assurances you might want.

Lastly, many museums want you to donate items and will not want them on loan. Just be aware of that.

Bottom line: Do what you think is best but keep your eyes open and know exactly what the terms of the agreement are.

b.heagy
05-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Perhaps there is a place in your community that could display the items. Obviously would have to be a well protected/secure place. Somewhere prominent where there is alot of activity or is well known. That way they are close to home and you would get recognition if desired. I went to Lebanon High school where Sam Bowie graduated and they had cases with all kinds of his memorabilia on display for the entire school to enjoy. Just a thought.

otismalibu
05-17-2006, 11:22 AM
You could always display them online. Might have to watermark the photos, so as not to see someone "borrowing" your pics for bogus auctions.

Not quite the same as an in person display, but safe :)

Greg