PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever worry?

chicagoglen
07-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Just sitting back having a drink and thinking about the hobby I love.

Am I the only one who compares today's game used hobby like the 1980's baseball card scene?

What is realy rare now a day's? Seems all the stars sell there gamers for huge fees and go through almost a hundred bats a year. Will the bat's retain value when everyone has one?

I am not into collecting for the money. I just wanted a bat from every position player on the 2005 Chicago White Sox World Series Team (Which I am happy to say I finially achieved this year) but I still think of my next collection.

What of the next steriod outing. Who will be stuck holding the bag on bats over valued?

Just thinking about this and thought I would see what the members thought.

I leave you with this picture because I simply like to share it.

My 2005 Sox set. I know it is small compared to others but I like it!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/chicagoglen/2005Set.jpg

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Glen

oakesc8855
07-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I dont collect for the money either...I collect everything with the intention of keeping it and adding it to my collection...sometimes I do get bored and trade or sell them. I dont really worry the worth of these items are going to be destroyed like the baseball cards of the past because all of these bats are 1 of a kind in my mind if they are game used. It is whatever it means to you, and a collection like yours of the 2005 White Sox WS team is awesome and I love your case I dont think the value of something like that would ever go down, and it defidently wont loose any value to you.

LastingsMilledge85
07-10-2009, 12:53 AM
That is an incredible collection of bats. How much did that cost you including the case? Again, great collection, one of the neatest things I've seen.

chicagoglen
07-10-2009, 06:25 AM
The bats were picked up individually over the course of three years. I wish I kept track of the cost better. The case I built myself in the garage. I usd left over wood from another project when I built some cabinets for my home office. Once built and stained I lined it in felt for a couple bucks.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/chicagoglen/PICT0452.jpg

nomo121
07-10-2009, 07:53 AM
That is an awesome way to display your bats. I might have to do something like that to keep the lil woman happy. Right now. in the hallway, i have wood racks installed closest to my office.

mattmueller
07-10-2009, 09:56 AM
I apologize for hijacking the thread away from the topic, although briefly. Glen, what did you install in the display case to hold the bats? Did you just cut/drill a length of wood?

With regard to the original question, there is little doubt in my mind that players and teams alike are more mindful of game used items being a source of revenue. With that, in the not so distant future, the tide on items from this decade will turn for the worse. I would draw the equivalent of this being 1987/1988 and Donruss is just getting ready to ruin the industry by printing a billion cards. I would not view anything from the last 10 years as an investment in anything other than the joy looking at it brings to you.

joelsabi
07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
With regard to the original question, there is little doubt in my mind that players and teams alike are more mindful of game used items being a source of revenue. With that, in the not so distant future, the tide on items from this decade will turn for the worse. I would draw the equivalent of this being 1987/1988 and Donruss is just getting ready to ruin the industry by printing a billion cards. I would not view anything from the last 10 years as an investment in anything other than the joy looking at it brings to you.

Two differences I see with the card and game used in the future even if there is a larger supply:

1) cards are manfactured collectables while game used equipment are essential to the game.

2) for a given year, the supply of game used equipment will not outdistance the demand.

I do see concern about game used equipment that are identical to the items fans can buy at retail (ie. hats, procuts )

joelsabi
07-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Just sitting back having a drink and thinking about the hobby I love.

Am I the only one who compares today's game used hobby like the 1980's baseball card scene?

What is realy rare now a day's? Seems all the stars sell there gamers for huge fees and go through almost a hundred bats a year. Will the bat's retain value when everyone has one?

I am not into collecting for the money. I just wanted a bat from every position player on the 2005 Chicago White Sox World Series Team (Which I am happy to say I finially achieved this year) but I still think of my next collection.

What of the next steriod outing. Who will be stuck holding the bag on bats over valued?

Just thinking about this and thought I would see what the members thought.

I leave you with this picture because I simply like to share it.

My 2005 Sox set. I know it is small compared to others but I like it!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/chicagoglen/2005Set.jpg

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Glen

glen,

amazing display. i am working on a display myself. i hope my display gives me enjoyment too.

FastLane80
07-10-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm not a huge fan of modern day players but if the game-used market busts then I'll be there to pick-up the unwanted pieces at discount prices :p. I like the fact that I can buy cards for a fraction of the price that they went for back in the early 90s. I collect for the fun of it and I happily overpay for stuff I know I will keep forever or at least attempt to.

mattmueller
07-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Two differences I see with the card and game used in the future even if there is a larger supply:

1) cards are manfactured collectables while game used equipment are essential to the game.

2) for a given year, the supply of game used equipment will not outdistance the demand.

I do see concern about game used equipment that are identical to the items fans can buy at retail (ie. hats, procuts )

Game used equipment is currently somewhat of a manufactured commodity. How about the thread in the auction section about the 4th Pujols helmet of the year being auctioned by MLB. $4,000 for something that is on pace to have 8 identical items hit the market in one year? What about the stories that Gary Sheffield was changing jerseys before each at bat leading up to his 500th HR? Sure, there will always be demand for items no matter the number available, but at what price? Essential to playing the game or not, I can not see how the demand stays at the current high price levels when an ample supply can be created with such relative ease. Ample can turn to excess pretty easily.

godwulf
07-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Game used equipment is currently somewhat of a manufactured commodity. How about the thread in the auction section about the 4th Pujols helmet of the year being auctioned by MLB. $4,000 for something that is on pace to have 8 identical items hit the market in one year? What about the stories that Gary Sheffield was changing jerseys before each at bat leading up to his 500th HR? Sure, there will always be demand for items no matter the number available, but at what price? Essential to playing the game or not, I can not see how the demand stays at the current high price levels when an ample supply can be created with such relative ease. Ample can turn to excess pretty easily.

Yes, the teams (and MLB) have certainly gotten savvy to how much money there is in game-used, and "manufacturing" items for that purpose has gotten to be a concern. (Not totally a new phenomenon, though is it? I seem to recall hearing a story that Pete Rose changed uniforms, or at least jerseys, every inning during the game when he hit #4192.)

This is one big reason that I like collecting Minor League jerseys...'cause, aside from those players who are destined to one day go back down through the minors on the way to retirement, there are a finite number of the minor league examples for a given player. For example, Stephen Drew may go through a few hundred Major League jerseys before he hangs up the last one, but there are only two Stephen Drew Camden Riversharks jerseys around, and he's got one and I've got the other. :D

GoTigers
07-10-2009, 04:51 PM
No... if a player used a different bat for EVERY at bat his entire career, never missed a game, and played for 15yrs. it'd be less than 10,000 bats.

Sounds like a lot, but if Topps, Upperdeck, etc. got together and said they would only release one Pujols card between them.. one for his entire career....and it would be limited to a run of 10k, how much would it be worth? How high would the demand be?

I think right now there may be a little surplus, just becuase not as many people collect GU items. but I think we're about to see a lot of card collectors/autograph collectors make the jump to Game Used stuff as they see it's actually available, and you can get it straight from the MLB.

joelsabi
07-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I think right now there may be a little surplus, just becuase not as many people collect GU items. but I think we're about to see a lot of card collectors/autograph collectors make the jump to Game Used stuff as they see it's actually available, and you can get it straight from the MLB.

It will be interesting to see if card collectors who thought game used cards were cool will decide to collect game used equipment instead.

one thing that card have that game used does not have is a comprehensive price guide like cards. also the grading aspect has not been defined as thoroughly as cards.

godwulf
07-11-2009, 10:19 AM
It will be interesting to see if card collectors who thought game used cards were cool will decide to collect game used equipment instead.

Some will, but I think the ones who obssess about rarity - who will pay three figures for a card, even if it's ugly, because it's "1/1" - will be disappointed. Even if a player only goes through thirty bats in a season, that's gonna be about 29 more than they'll want to see on the market.

one thing that card have that game used does not have is a comprehensive price guide like cards. also the grading aspect has not been defined as thoroughly as cards.

With more use bringing a higher grade? It always cracks me up when somebody lists a so-called game-used bat on eBay that is in "MINT CONDITION!"...as though that were a selling point.

When it comes to cards, I guess I'm showing my age or something - I'm from the era when we used to put our duplicate Topps cards in our bike spokes - but I can't make myself get all that excited about condition. If a card doesn't have any obvious creases, and - depending, of course, on how old it is and what I'm paying for it - no bent or missing corners, I'm generally good with it. I buy cards to look at and admire - I can't see paying some expert or company to tell me how much I ought to like it.

I think about some of the guys who hang around one of my local card shops, studying cards with a big magnifying glass, and then I remember something I overheard a seller of my acquaintance tell somebody at a card show years ago; the shopper was asking about the "grade" of some card he was interested in, and the seller just looked at him with a perfectly straight face and said, "I don't do condition." That still cracks me up, and I love the attitude. I guess I can't help thinking that the card collecting hobby has just gotten a little too...precise? Effete? Clinical?

skyking26
07-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Good thread. Bottom line is we all collect because we enjoy it and it takes us away from stress. Wife is wanting me gone....gotta go.

sox83cubs84
07-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Good thread. Bottom line is we all collect because we enjoy it and it takes us away from stress. Wife is wanting me gone....gotta go.

So much for being taken away from stress!:p

Dave M.
Chicago area

kakarothusain
07-12-2009, 08:40 AM
That is an incredible collection of bats. How much did that cost you including the case? Again, great collection, one of the neatest things I've seen.

ya i agree with you it is really a very good collection of bats and it would have took years to collect this much of bats..http://www.pppcm.com/138l1292.jpg

skyking26
07-12-2009, 09:13 AM
So much for being taken away from stress!:p

Dave M.
Chicago area
Yes, she had ha list of things for me to do; so I did not get to express my thoughts as I wanted!!!

Whether it is sports collectibles, a Corvette(s) like my dad had when I was a kid, Vegas trips (dad again), etc., etc.; we all use these to remove ourselves from stress and enjoy what we enjoy. Dad goes to Vegas countless times during every year. I'm 45 - never been. Have no interest in gambling away hard earned funds. He thinks my sports collecting hobby is crazy. It's all what you want.

Yes, cards took a crash. Yes, the high dollar guy's bat or jersey can take a crash later when he does not hit the projected numbers or does roids. We all know Kingman was my player as a kid. I've been fortunate to know him personally for 17 years. Been fortunate to obtain alot of game used jerseys and bats. Can I go out and sell them for what I paid? Unlikely. There are a few Kong guys out there, but I did not buy them with intention of resale. I just bought a McGwire 89 home in LeLands auction. In my mind, I overpaid courtesy of 2 forum members that pushed the price up. When I look back on the 30+ year collection, do I have buyer's remorse? Yes, if I hit the total botton I suppose. However, I don't drink or smoke. I don't gamble. I "don't" alot of things. That said........if one is buying GU for financial turn around one will likely be unhappy in the end. Buy for your enjoyment.

Tuff times. Put your money in a 22 mth CD at 3.2%. Great deal? Not really, but if you find another one out there let me know where and when.

RK