PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Big Papi's 300th?

sox83cubs84
07-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Just curious...what was the fate of David ortiz's recently slammed 300th home run? Did he get it back without fanfare, or did some ballhawk/happy youngster try to hold it for ransom?:confused:

Dave M.
Chicago area

gameused
07-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Dave,

I watched the highlights on espn, the ball was hit to the green monster just above the HR line and bounced back into the field. I'm pretty sure he got the ball back from a Fenway employee.

Bobby

sox83cubs84
07-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Dave,

I watched the highlights on espn, the ball was hit to the green monster just above the HR line and bounced back into the field. I'm pretty sure he got the ball back from a Fenway employee.

Bobby
Thanks, Bobby...I didn't see game video, and I don't know if Boston has as prolific (or notorious, take your pick) crew of ballhawks as Chicago and Milwaukee do. Glad to see Big Papi not get held up.

Dave M.
Chicago area

gameused
07-12-2009, 04:13 AM
Here's the link to the HR clip: http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5497841&c_id=bos

sox83cubs84
07-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks, gameused...I'll view it tomorrow at my library's computer (the home computer has some glitches, and viewing video links is one of them).

Dave M.
Chicago area

jayt1234
07-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Here is the direct article that was in todays Boston Globe.

Having a ball with Big Papi

Big Papi’s 300th home run ball? He’s got it thanks to Tom Ryan and daughter Maggie. Dad and daughter, visiting from Shelburne, Vt., got their hands on the historic ball after it banged off the Monster seats and was tossed into the stands by Royals leftfielder Jose Guillen. The Ryans were then summoned to the Sox clubhouse, where David Ortiz asked what they wanted in exchange. “Can you get my daughter into BC?’’ joked Tom Ryan, who was visiting colleges with his daughter. He happily traded the ball for a bat and jersey both signed by Papi.

sox83cubs84
07-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Good story with a good ending.

Dave M.
Chicago area