PDA

View Full Version : Best Team for Acquiring G/U Items:Tigers

Swoboda4
07-13-2009, 09:43 AM
I am a Mets fan and I am not associated in any way with the Tigers. But I am amazed how organized and accessable the Tigers are in promoting their game used items(Most affordable,not all). I once reached out to them for a Andy Van Slyke G/U coaches jersey and ever since then I've received e-mails informing me of items available and soon to be available. During the season contact is almost every other day. This last e-mail prompted me to post this thread. Today,among other things offered, is a ball pitched by Greinke on 7/8/09 in the 5th inning and fouled off by Inge. Amazing. Who's assigned to catch these?
Again I'm not associated with this but I sure wish other teams were as well organized and prices set affordably (Well,except the HR balls) as Marc Himelstein seems to do with the Tigers.
Todays e-mail offering:

Subj:Tigers Date:7/13/2009 10:22:09 AM Eastern Daylight TimeFrom:Marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com (Marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com)Sent from the Internet (Details) (aolmsg://01e59170/inethdr/1)

Good morning everybody. The Tigers are in 1st place at the All-Star Break. We have 4 All-Stars and things are looking up for the second half of the season. I have some game used baseballs from this past week that I would like to make available to you. If you are interested in any of them, please give me a call. Thanks. I hope you enjoy the HR hitting contest this evening.

July 8, 2009
Ball pitched by Zack Greinke to Miguel Cabrera in the 4th inning. Pitch was fouled off.
Ball pitched by Zack Greinke to Miguel Cabrera in the 4th inning. Pitch was fouled off.
Ball pitched by Zack Greinke to Clete Thomas in the 7th inning. Pitch was fouled off.
Ball pitched by Zack Greinke to Brandon Inge in the 5th inning. Pitch was fouled off.
Each ball is $50

July 11, 2009-Negro League Tribute Day
Each game used baseball is $35

July 12, 2009-Justin Verlander won his 10th game of the season, Inge hit 2 HR and Clete Thomas was a single away from the cycle.
Each ball is $50 each

July 12, 2009-All three Home run Baseballs that were hit yesterday. Clete Thomas and Brandon Inge back to back HR and the second Inge HR. I am offering these three baseballs as a set for $1200.

Marc Himelstein
Authentics Manager
Comerica Park
2100 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48201
marc.himelstein@detroittigers.com
(P) (313) 471-2064
(F) (313) 471-2297

grenda12
07-13-2009, 10:16 AM
I completely agree with you. It would be nice to have the other MLB teams do something like this.

joelsabi
07-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Here my top 3

1) Tigerss
2) Nationals (because of a Andrew)
3) Dodgers and Yankees (because of Steiner)

bigtruck260
07-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Guys, the Cardinals authentics manager, Pat Daly really does a great job too.

I get spreadsheets of available stuff several times a year, and the selection of bats at the last home game was top notch. You will never get Pujols or Yadi (rarely)....but there is still a nice selection.

coxfan
07-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I didn't know there was such a position as authentication manager. Perhaps the Tigers' authentication manager or anyone in a similar position can tell us a little about how the authenticators assure the accurate authentication of balls, etc. Do they sit near the ball boys, and can they call for special balls to be taken out of play at the time?

My study of the matter suggests that the process is generally accurate, but errors are occasionally made. For example, I saw a ball authenticated as hit foul by Sammy Sosa during an 8th inning strikeout, when MLB's gameday shows he didn't bat in the 8th. He struck out in the 7th and 9th, so it must have been a clerical error.

Ambiguity is an issue too at times. I bought a bat that was authenticated as used by Chris Snelling, with " session date" of April 16. However, I saw a video clip of Snelling hitting a triple the next day, with the ball hitting the bat on apparently the exact spot where it was cracked. So that raises the possibility it was actually cracked on April 17 though perhaps also used the previous day; the fact the April 16 was a delayed celebration of Jackie Robinson Day perhaps being the reason that was given as the " session date." Or perhaps it was a clerical error, as the bat was certified as the last of the April 16 items, with the April 17 items starting with the next hologram number in sequence.

Anyway, any authoritative info on how authentication of game-used items is being done these days would be most helpful, particularly from a professional in that area.

bigtruck260
07-13-2009, 01:38 PM
I didn't know there was such a position as authentication manager. Perhaps the Tigers' authentication manager or anyone in a similar position can tell us a little about how the authenticators assure the accurate authentication of balls, etc. Do they sit near the ball boys, and can they call for special balls to be taken out of play at the time?

My study of the matter suggests that the process is generally accurate, but errors are occasionally made. For example, I saw a ball authenticated as hit foul by Sammy Sosa during an 8th inning strikeout, when MLB's gameday shows he didn't bat in the 8th. He struck out in the 7th and 9th, so it must have been a clerical error.

Ambiguity is an issue too at times. I bought a bat that was authenticated as used by Chris Snelling, with " session date" of April 16. However, I saw a video clip of Snelling hitting a triple the next day, with the ball hitting the bat on apparently the exact spot where it was cracked. So that raises the possibility it was actually cracked on April 17 though perhaps also used the previous day; the fact the April 16 was a delayed celebration of Jackie Robinson Day perhaps being the reason that was given as the " session date." Or perhaps it was a clerical error, as the bat was certified as the last of the April 16 items, with the April 17 items starting with the next hologram number in sequence.

Anyway, any authoritative info on how authentication of game-used items is being done these days would be most helpful, particularly from a professional in that area.

Pat is the manager of the Cardinals Authentics Retail store that specializes in game used merch. and autographed items. Most of the GU items don't have MLB authentication -they come with very good quality team paperwork that has improved over the years....

D

He's not an AUTHENTICATION manager...

larry bourget
07-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Marc Himelstein is an absolute pleasure to Deal with, No other Team comes close.

LB

Swoboda4
07-13-2009, 09:56 PM
If there is anybody like Marc with any other team,please post it here. It just seems that his job is more to make you happy than to please a boss. I'll post his next e-mail to further illustrate and then leave it to others to add to the list of great people to contact with other teams.

Swoboda4
07-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Last post from me highlighting what the Tigers are doing but here's today's e-mail as promised:

Subj:Last chance to order game used bases and baseballs from the Tigers series at Yankees Stadium Date:7/14/2009 9:32:49 AM Eastern Daylight TimeFrom:Marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com (Marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com)File:2009LineUp Cards.xls (16384 bytes) DL Time (TCP/IP): < 1 minuteSent from the Internet (Details) (aolmsg://01f253b0/inethdr/1)

Good morning everyone. I just want to offer you this reminder that any order for game used baseballs or bases from new Yankee Stadium need to be to me by Thursday.

Baseballs are $250 each from each game
Bases are $450 each from each game

Also, here is a list of the remaining line-up cards we have in stock from the first half of the season. They are $75 each. Please let me know if you would like one.

Marc Himelstein
Authentics Manager
Comerica Park
2100 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48201
(P) (313) 471-2064
(F) (313) 471-2297

Game Used Line Up Cards (2009 Season)Game DateOpponentGame ScoreWhat Happened in the Game21-Apr-09Tigers at AngelsTigers 3 Angels 4Curtis Granderson hits two homeruns23-Apr-09Tigers at AngelsTigers 5 Angels 10Curtis Granderson had two hits, Inge belted his sixth homer of the season26-Apr-09Tigers at RoyalsTigers 3 Royals 2Brandon Inge hit is 7th HR of the season4-May-09Tigers Vs TwinsTigers 2 Twins 7Miguel Cabrera hits 6th HR of the season12-May-09Tigers Vs TwinsTigers 2 Twins 6Jeff Larish and Ramon Santiago both connect for solo-homeruns13-May-09Tigers Vs TwinsTigers 10 Twins 14Brandon Inge and Miguel Cabrera each slammed homeruns24-May-09Tigers Vs RockiesTigers 1 Rockies 3Dontrelle Willis pitches a gem, but this was not enough to overcome the Rockies26-May-09Tigers at RoyalsTigers 1 Royals 6Edwin Jackson retires 15 out of 16 batters, while Ordonez hits RBI single28-May-09Tigers at OriolesTigers 1 Orioles 5Clete Thomas collects 9th RBI of the season31-May-09Tigers at OriolesTigers 3 Orioles 0Edwin Jackson earns fifth win of the season, while striking out 8 batters8-Jun-09Tigers at White SoxTigers 1 White Sox 6Jeremy Bonderman makes his 2009 season debut11-Jun-09Tigers at White SoxTigers 5 White Sox 4Curtis Granderson connects on a two-run homer to tie the ball game29-JunTigers at OaklandTigers 5 A's 3Polanco hit a 2 run HR while Galarraga records 2nd straight victory5-JulTigers at TwinsTigers 2 Twins 6Brandon Inge slams his 19th HR of the season

rj_lucas
07-14-2009, 10:19 AM
I just picked up an item from Marc for the first time. Not only is the guy really on top of his inventory, but he's very customer-service oriented, which is pretty hard to find.

I also had a recent dealing with Pat Daly and found him easy to work with and good about returning messages, etc.

Just the fact that some teams have guys like these (since a lot don't) is a huge plus.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

TigerSteve
07-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Well I know Marc pretty well since I seem to deal with him pretty much every week, or so it seems! He is very easy to work with and I would agree 100% with all the good things everyone else has said. Email him and get on the Tigers list, they always have great items.

-Steve

warheel
07-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Anyone know if he "deals"? I saw a lineup card I'd like to have but it's not worth $75 to me.

jppopma
07-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Marc is great and is learning more and more about our hobby as he goes. He's an honest guy and not afraid to admit when he is not sure of something or ask for help determining what something is.

The only pitfall of the Tigers being so available and open on items is that you see just how much stuff there is. Additional sets of issued jersyes, blanks, and I even saw multiple shirt of the back jersyes from the same player.

Marc is not quick to offer discounts, but he is on top of his game. Often times, things like lineup cards will go on sale at the stadium or through his emails. I'm sure if you talked to him about what you wanted, he would be sure to let you know if/when the price happens to drop on it.

larry bourget
07-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Detroit Stars Negro Tibute Game Worn Uniforms from the game Sat. July 11,2009 are now For Sale,.........Heads Up for those who do not receive Marc's updates.

LB

ham1963
07-15-2009, 07:45 PM
You know that the person who handles the Atlanta Braves merchandise does a pretty good job also.:D

ham1963
07-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Let me also add that Marc is the best and I think a lot of teams can learn from him. Just remember that it was not long ago that Tiger items used to hard to find.
Antoher team that has someone easy to work with are the Rockies.
Just my 2 cents
John

Swoboda4
07-15-2009, 09:31 PM
ham1964 ,please add other teams contact people.

Swoboda4
07-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Sorry, Ham1964-1= 1963

larry bourget
07-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Detroit Stars Negro Tibute Game Worn Uniforms from the game Sat. July 11,2009 are now For Sale,.........Heads Up for those who do not receive Marc's updates.

LB

For the Cleveland Fans, the Cleveland Buckeyes uniforms from the
July 11,2009 game are now on Tigers Auction site.

LB

slambam
07-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Guys, the Cardinals authentics manager, Pat Daly really does a great job too.

I get spreadsheets of available stuff several times a year, and the selection of bats at the last home game was top notch. You will never get Pujols or Yadi (rarely)....but there is still a nice selection.

Is it possible to get on the list for this spreadsheet? If so, how? Do you have to go to the stadium to pick them up, or can they be mailed? Thanks!

larry bourget
07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
I am a Mets fan and I am not associated in any way with the Tigers. But I am amazed how organized and accessable the Tigers are in promoting their game used items(Most affordable,not all). I once reached out to them for a Andy Van Slyke G/U coaches jersey and ever since then I've received e-mails informing me of items available and soon to be available. During the season contact is almost every other day. This last e-mail prompted me to post this thread. Today,among other things offered, is a ball pitched by Greinke on 7/8/09 in the 5th inning and fouled off by Inge. Amazing. Who's assigned to catch these?
Again I'm not associated with this but I sure wish other teams were as well organized and prices set affordably (Well,except the HR balls) as Marc Himelstein seems to do with the Tigers.
Todays e-mail offering:

Subj:Tigers Date:7/13/2009 10:22:09 AM Eastern Daylight TimeFrom:Marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com (Marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com)Sent from the Internet (Details) (aolmsg://01e59170/inethdr/1)

Good morning everybody. The Tigers are in 1st place at the All-Star Break. We have 4 All-Stars and things are looking up for the second half of the season. I have some game used baseballs from this past week that I would like to make available to you. If you are interested in any of them, please give me a call. Thanks. I hope you enjoy the HR hitting contest this evening.

July 8, 2009
Ball pitched by Zack Greinke to Clete Thomas in the 7th inning. Pitch was fouled off.
Ball pitched by Zack Greinke to Brandon Inge in the 5th inning. Pitch was fouled off.
Each ball is $50

July 12, 2009-Justin Verlander won his 10th game of the season, Inge hit 2 HR and Clete Thomas was a single away from the cycle.
Each ball is $50 each

July 12, 2009-All three Home run Baseballs that were hit yesterday. Clete Thomas and Brandon Inge back to back HR and the second Inge HR. I am offering these three baseballs as a set for $1200.

Marc Himelstein
Authentics Manager
Comerica Park
2100 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48201
(P) (313) 471-2064
(F) (313) 471-2297

I was at the Sunday Tigers/White Sox game and Marc was blowing out the Cleveland Buckeye July 11th Negro Tribute, "game worn" and game issued jerseys,pants, and hats. I counted 17 GW uniforms (all were $200.) and 13 GI uniforms ($180. The Cliff Lee uniform was still available at only $400. If anyone is interested contact Marc Himelstein ASAP. He still has Detroit Stars available also.

LB

dcgreg25
07-28-2009, 10:22 AM
I have to agree that Marc is a great guy to deal with. Being a big Indians fan, I was fortunate enough to pick up the Victor Martinez, Shin Soo Choo, Asdrubal Cabrera and Kerry Wood Buckeye uniforms. He is a good guy to deal with, I wish the Indians had a similar person to head up their GU sales.

OhioBobcat3
07-29-2009, 09:20 PM
I have to agree that Marc is a great guy to deal with. Being a big Indians fan, I was fortunate enough to pick up the Victor Martinez, Shin Soo Choo, Asdrubal Cabrera and Kerry Wood Buckeye uniforms. He is a good guy to deal with, I wish the Indians had a similar person to head up their GU sales.

I saw that you won the Martinez, but am glad to hear that your bids were accepted on the Choo, Wood, and Asdrubal as well. I know that you had wanted a Choo jersey. Congrats! :)

dcgreg25
07-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks Ohiobobcat! I just received the jerseys today and will post some pics soon. Any chance you are heading to the National in Cleveland this weekend? I will be there Friday and Saturday.

OhioBobcat3
07-31-2009, 08:57 PM
I was going to go today, but things didn't work out. I'm going to the Tribe game tomorrow night (8/1) but won't be able to make the National. I hope you can pick up some nice stuff while you're there. Keep an eye out for any nice Hafner stuff. ;)

larry bourget
08-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Todays e-mail offering:

July 8, 2009
Each ball is $50

Each ball is $50 each

Marc Himelstein
Authentics Manager
Comerica Park
2100 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48201
(P) (313) 471-2064
(F) (313) 471-2297

I was at Friday nights game and saw the remaining 7 Detroit Stars uniforms that were still available, all $200. each, #8 Laird, # 9 Guillen, #10 Leyland, #12 McClendon, #51 Jeff Jones, #52 Knapp, #54 Zumaya. There were also 14 Game used Cleveland Buckeyes, all $200. each, and 13 Game issue all $180. each. He also had about a dozen Game Used # 15 Brandon Inge Bats, all Autograped, and a nice home Clete Thomas jersey full of dirt.

LB