PDA

View Full Version : Will Clark "rookie" jersey

lon lewis
07-13-2009, 05:43 PM
I've been asked on several occasions about these 2 ebay items. # 260442372655 & 260443092461 both are listed as Will Clark rookie jerseys. There is absolutely no chance that either of these jerseys are anything more than a retail jersey that has been doctored/enhanced.

Let's start with the obvious: He has his Clark's mixed up as Jack Clark was # 22 in 1984- but it's the wrong size for him. Will Clark first appeared in a San Francisco Giants uniform in spring training of 1986 wearing (as all of the other players did), the jerseys from 1985. Practice jerseys were mfr'd by Wilson and were mesh pullovers. It's also the wrong size for Will Clark.

The ebay jerseys have the Wilson mfr tags in the collar. ( where the retail jersey mfr tags were) That tag should be on the outer left tail located almost in the center about 2 1/2" from the botton of the 7th button. The "set tag" should be located below the Wilson tag. The ebay jerseys both have what appears to be a bogus '84 tag located next to the front placket. That tag (if legitimate) should be below the Wilson tag.

The number on the road jersey is too high to accomodate the normal placement of a name plate. There is no photo of the back of the home jersey to comment on, but for the sake of this discussion I'll assume that the number placement is the same since all of the other problems have been duplicated.

In order for these jerseys to be as advertised, you'd have to believe that Will Clark wore a jersey from 1984 which would be impossible as I mentioned before, Will Clark's spring training game jerseys were from 1985 and his '86 jerseys were all from 1986. If you want to believe it somehow was a Jack Clark jersey, then you'd have to believe that he wore the wrong sized jersey w/ incorrect tagging and the numbers in the wrong place.

I've attached a scan of the tagging of an "extra" 1984 jersey and a scan of a 1984 Jack Clark home jersey tagging ( the road's were the same).

sox83cubs84
07-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Lon:

I saw that, too, and have a theory as to what this may be, as a similar oddity appeared on eBay from the same seller. I plan to post this information on the MEARS bulletin board tomorrow (since I no longer write the Sunday articles).

Dave M.
Chicago area

lon lewis
07-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Dave, These jerseys aeren't oddities, they're just poorly crafted retail versions of a Giants 1984 jersey minus the A/S patch. I don't know what your theory may be and I'm not about to go to MEARS to find it, but it is what is- a "retail" jersey(s) made to look like a legit Giants jersey. No amount of "maybe this or maybe that" will change the fact that nobody named Clark (especially Will) wore those jerseys or that they were ever made for them. And if your thinking that they may be jerseys used for promotional purposes -forget it.The Will Clark jersey used for his signing press conference was actually a 1985 David Green jersey with the NOB removed and replaced temporarily with Clark. Nothing on those jerseys would suggest that those jerseys were produced at either Wilson or McAdams Sporting Goods for the Giants for either Clark or any other purposes.

sox83cubs84
07-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Dave, These jerseys aeren't oddities, they're just poorly crafted retail versions of a Giants 1984 jersey minus the A/S patch. I don't know what your theory may be and I'm not about to go to MEARS to find it, but it is what is- a "retail" jersey(s) made to look like a legit Giants jersey. No amount of "maybe this or maybe that" will change the fact that nobody named Clark (especially Will) wore those jerseys or that they were ever made for them. And if your thinking that they may be jerseys used for promotional purposes -forget it.The Will Clark jersey used for his signing press conference was actually a 1985 David Green jersey with the NOB removed and replaced temporarily with Clark. Nothing on those jerseys would suggest that those jerseys were produced at either Wilson or McAdams Sporting Goods for the Giants for either Clark or any other purposes.

Lon:

Just because I called the Clark jersey an "oddity" does not mean I believe it to be authentic. The post is up now, if you want to read it, fine, if you don't, so be it. I take offense to your immediate browbeating of me in print, as you made it sound like I was trying to justify the jersey's authenticity (which is not the case) without knowing what my thoughts were or even allowing me to put them in writing before you passed judgment. This "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality exists among a small number of Forum members...I am deeply disappointed to find out that you are one of them.

Dave Miedema
Chicago area

Marichal27
07-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Any novice who knows anything about Giants jerseys, knows it's a fake. I reported this item to ebay and they never did a thing, and another "Will Clark" rookie jersey, from the same seller, knows it's wrong everywhere. No nameplate, in fact the numbers are too high for a nameplate. The Wilson tag should be in the left tail and 22 84 under it, on a swatch. JACK Clark played in '84 and wore 22. BTW, where is the All Star Game patch?? Plus I told ebay and the seller, that Will didn't start playing until 1986. There are no theories, it's just a made up jersey, originally retail. Some sucker won the road last night for around $150- someone dummy already bid $250 on the home with the pants. Wrong size for Will as well.

lon lewis
07-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Dave, you're offended? I'm offended that someone who has been around as long as you would even try to find an alternate explanation of these jerseys. I'm offended that you'd run over to Mears to post your "theory" When you could have put your incorrect theory on here yesterday. I mean how tough is it to say " I think it's a salesman sample" ( yes I read it ) If you think that I browbeat you on my response yesterday well, I can't help that. It was simply a response to your statement. If you want to see an actual "browbeating", ask me about your theory.

sox83cubs84
07-15-2009, 01:34 AM
Lon:

We agree that the Clark jersey never was worn by Jack (or Will), that the jersey was never issued to be worn, and that the jersey never saw the inside of a player's locker. We may disagree as to what exactly the origin of these tagged samples is, but, bottom line, we both concur that this jersey (and the Tigers Lance Parrish) are items for a collector of game used/issued items to avoid. I'm content to leave it at that.

As for why I posted it on the MEARS site instead of here: while I'm happy to offer any help I can to any collectors who are seeking it, and also have fun with some of the posts, when an item with news value that I feel I should address at length pops up, I address it on the MEARS site, as that is where I am employed. I stand behind my findings, and don't want to turn this thread into a pissing match over our beliefs as to where they came from...suffice it to say that they are flawed items that should never have the words "game used" or "game issued" attached to them.

Dave M.
Chicago area