PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst baseball jerseys of the 1980's

dfirest1
07-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Over dinner last night, a buddy of mine and I had a discussion about baseball in the 1980's, and we got to talking about jerseys, and he asked me who had the best and worst jerseys of the 1980's. I told him what i thought, but I would like your choices as well. My choices were Houston Astros rainbow Gut, anything worn by the Padres, and the Chicago White Sox of 1983. Please let me know what your choices are.

sox83cubs84
07-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Over dinner last night, a buddy of mine and I had a discussion about baseball in the 1980's, and we got to talking about jerseys, and he asked me who had the best and worst jerseys of the 1980's. I told him what i thought, but I would like your choices as well. My choices were Houston Astros rainbow Gut, anything worn by the Padres, and the Chicago White Sox of 1983. Please let me know what your choices are.
I think you hit the nail on the head on all 3.

Dave M.
Chicago area

RJB44
07-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Brewers, Rangers, Twins (1987+)

LastingsMilledge85
07-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Expos are the best, hands down.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1980/1006_large.jpg

dirtyla2000
07-20-2009, 03:31 AM
Expos are the best, hands down.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1980/1006_large.jpg
ARE YOU KIDDING,THE POWDER BLUES WERE AWESOME!!!!!!!!

skyking26
07-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Never understood the red, white and blue colors of a Canadian jersey; but always loved the Expos jerseys - home and away. They were gorgeous. Loved the early Jays stuff too. Hate them now.

RK

Jayworld
07-21-2009, 10:43 AM
It's funny how the Padres often get brought up as ugh! or worst jerseys from the old brown/gold days, yet people really clamor for that era of jerseys and collectibles, and there is a movement to bring back the brown and gold. Being a longtime Padres fan, I was not overly keen on the 1980-84 uniforms when they added the burnt orange, but it was a fairly clean look and kept the distinct brown cap with the gold front "sliver" panel, albeit with an orange outline and orange button on the top of the cap. I didn't like that look as well in 1984 when they went to button down jerseys and black belts instead of the waistbands. Conversely, the 1985-89 Padres visiting uniform (the gray/beige) were pretty bad and plain looking to me, especially since they dropped the gold in favor of the orange trim.

I like the Astros rainbow jerseys and the secondary jerseys worn on the road with the rainbow pattern scaled back to just down the sides of the sleeves. That was a clean looking uniform.

Actually, I like baseball uniforms much better in the 1970s - 80s than now; partly because I grew up in that era, but also because each team had distinct uniforms and colors. Now every team, for the most part, wears dark colors such as navy or black, and players don't know how to wear pants anymore or stirrups that show the sanitary socks. That's a BAD modern look, in my opinion.

Milwaukee's pinstripe uniforms with the intertwined "MB" logo was a good, clean looking, well designed uniform.

Seattle had a light blue road uniform with stripes similar to Montreal's that I thought looked pretty decent, and I liked the typestyle utilized on the home/road jerseys at that time.

The Texas Rangers home uniforms prior to 1982 were very colorful with the two-button jerseys and matching waistband and pant stripes and distinct Rangers type font in red with the blue drop shadow. Never cared for the caps (blue with red bill) too much, though.

And I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I loved the Pirates gold/black/white combination uniforms and pill caps.

Bad uniforms to me in the 1980s were:
Any team that went from pull-over style to button down. I'm not a traditionalist in that area.

The White Sox uniforms with the collars weren't too good, but adding the white pants with navy stripe instead of wearing all-navy was a little better. 1983 White Sox with the addition of red was a better uniform. I liked the fact they wore two different caps at home and on the road.

I have not liked Oakland's uniforms since they went to the all button down, plainer style and darkened the green.

LastingsMilledge85
07-21-2009, 02:36 PM
The Expos batting helmets were the best part of the uniform. Reminds me of this...
http://www.crobike.de/en/werbemittel_bilder/promopeddler/10800/21934.jpg