PDA

View Full Version : Okay fess up...which GUU member took Fielder's Derby-winning ball??

kylehess10
07-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Okay as I'm sure you all saw, there were 2 kids getting the homerun baseballs that landed in the grass in dead-center during the derby who then handed it to an authenticator. For Prince's Derby-winning homeun, some guy ran onto the grass and grabbed the ball before the authenticator got it. Normally in this situation (like last year in New York), you would get kicked out for running out there to get the ball like that, but the derby was over, so what do you think happened?? You think he got to keep it? And if so then I wonder if the authenticator still put a sticker on it.

bigtruck260
07-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Okay as I'm sure you all saw, there were 2 kids getting the homerun baseballs that landed in the grass in dead-center during the derby who then handed it to an authenticator. For Prince's Derby-winning homeun, some guy ran onto the grass and grabbed the ball before the authenticator got it. Normally in this situation (like last year in New York), you would get kicked out for running out there to get the ball like that, but the derby was over, so what do you think happened?? You think he got to keep it? And if so then I wonder if the authenticator still put a sticker on it.

Hey Kyle - I was in right field watching the entire operation. They had kids in the bullpens retirieving HR ball for authentication. Earlier in the derby, a ball was hit into the grass - and a COP - not stadium personell took the ball. The cop was booed mercilessly, and the kid not only got booted - the ball ended up with MLB.

On the winning homer, the ball was again snatched from a kid and again, BOOOOOOOO! Only this time, the ball was given back to the kid.

You know, it really makes MLB look greedy - honestly. I am all about authentication, but really the HR derby balls should have just been tossed into the stands. C'mon it's good PR!

frikativ54
07-14-2009, 10:20 PM
You know, it really makes MLB look greedy - honestly. I am all about authentication, but really the HR derby balls should have just been tossed into the stands. C'mon it's good PR!

I fail to see how MLB is greedy in this situation. 90% of the proceeds from MLB.com auctions go to charity, and it pays to know who has the actual ball. Otherwise, there could have been several kids all saying that they caught the ball, with no way to verify the veracity of their claims.

TFig27
07-14-2009, 10:26 PM
[quote=frikativ54;152066]90% of the proceeds from MLB.com auctions go to charity, quote]

Where does it say this?

suave1477
07-14-2009, 11:46 PM
I fail to see how MLB is greedy in this situation. 90% of the proceeds from MLB.com auctions go to charity, and it pays to know who has the actual ball. Otherwise, there could have been several kids all saying that they caught the ball, with no way to verify the veracity of their claims.

When did it start going to charity???

kylehess10
07-15-2009, 12:59 AM
When did it start going to charity???

I'm wondering the same here. I think the only time money is donated to charities is for the auctions like the Pink Bats and stuff from other special events.

allstarsplus
07-15-2009, 08:29 AM

I didn't get the Fielder ball and that guy probably got to keep it. The big catch I think was for Pujols HR balls. I had seats directly over the American League dugout and after the Derby some of the players threw unused balls our way so that was the closest I came to a baseball during the HR Derby.

Kyle I am surprised you didn't photomatch me as I was sitting right behind Joe Morgan's left shoulder behind the guy in the black shirt. Since you are on Facebook, check out the photo someone took of their TV and posted to my Facebook page.....definitely nowhere near KyleHess quality photomatch. LOL