PDA

View Full Version : AENEAS01 - Can I Ask For Your Opinion On This Lid....

TriplexXxSports
07-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Robert,

I know you are the helmet guru, and your expertise in vintage helmets far surpasses anyone else I have come across.

With that being said, I was looking at this lid and wanted to get some solid opinions before I got too serious about it.

Its a 1971-1972 Butkus

Thanks In Advance.

TriplexXxSports
07-15-2009, 09:05 PM
It appears that the front rivet is too low in relation to the 2 top facemask clips. The fase mask itself seems to be smaller, and I cannot get a good side view to compare the side rivets.

both-teams-played-hard
07-16-2009, 01:24 AM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=9711&highlight=butkus+helmet

yosef777
07-16-2009, 08:43 AM
TripleXXXSports,
From my knowledge and after reading the Aeneas01 post from a few years back (reposted by Both Teams Played Hard) I would have to question the size of the helmet. It appears, after looking at the photos of the interior, that it is a size 7 which would make it way too small to be Butkus helmet. Finally, the rivet locations seem fine to me in regards to the facemask clips as the placement often varied. That is jsut my two cents worth.

camarokids
07-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Did you not see the Lou Lampson Authentic Sticker on the back?

You have nothing to worry about.... its gotta be good.....;)

yosef777
08-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Maybe this is way too late but after revisiting the photos and conducting more research on the Butkus helmet I think the helmet size is close if not correct. Two things stand out, one the number stamped on the neck suspension area appears to be a 5, that would indicate the helmet size is over 7 3/8 (which would have a number 3 stamped in that area) and smaller than a helmet size 7 3/4 (which would have a number 6 stamped in that area). I would say a 7 5/8 or 7 1/2 is a safe bet. The second item is less clear but upon closer inspection it appears that there is some faint stamping to the right of the size 7 stamp (on the back of the suspenison headband). I can't make out what size it is exactly from the photos and I am not certain I could in person as these markings are often difficult to read due to fading, non chalant stamping, etc. Anyways, that is two more of my cents.