PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to replace a missing patch?

jppopma
07-16-2009, 09:25 PM
I have a few jerseys from over the years that I picked up with some patches missing. Some cases may be from the teams reusing them, others from collectors removing them for some reason. They have the outlines from the patches and I know what was there at one time.

My question is about restoring the patches to these jerseys. Is it acceptable to “restore” a jersey in this way and returning it back to its original condition? If ok, does it turn into a “restored” jersey, then would the price drop to less than when it was original and missing the patch?

Next, if I do choose to replace any of the removed patches, does anybody know a good place to find game used patches? I know there are patch collectors out there, but I am not sure if they have patches that had been removed from a jersey or fresh patches that were made for collectible purposes. I do not think I would want to place a crisp fresh patch on a well worn jersey, just does not seem right.

Thanks for any suggestions and input. John

Vintagedeputy
07-16-2009, 10:18 PM
If its an original patch, then I think restoring is ok as long as you disclose that to a potential buyer.

A repro patch should be left off the jersey, IMHO.

David
07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Different collectors and genres have different tastes and informal rules, but the general rule in all areas of collecting is you can alter or restore something so long as you clearly communicate the restoration at sale, trade or auction.

allstarsplus
07-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Different collectors and genres have different tastes and informal rules, but the general rule in all areas of collecting is you can alter or restore something so long as you clearly communicate the restoration at sale, trade or auction.

I agree unless there wasn't a patch there in the 1st place.

metsbats
07-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Andrew,

Just to understand (or not misunderstand) what you are saying. If one has a jersey from a year that sported a particular patch and for some reason the patch was never sewn on the jersey (in other words not removed), it's ok to sew on the patch and not disclose it because you are restoring a patch that never was there and was supposed to be for that year?

Thanks

TNTtoys
07-17-2009, 11:06 AM
I agree unless there wasn't a patch there in the 1st place.

Andrew,

You took the words out of my mouth. This applies to 1 specific jersey in my collection... it is a 2006 Carlos Beltran Mets jersey authenticated by Steiner and by MLB. The MLB hologram dates the jersey to a specifc game where he homered. I have video of this home run.

The anomaly here is that jersey is missing a patch. The video supports the missing patch. In this case, adding "the missing patch" afterwards will severely degrade the jersey...

Nick

metsbats
07-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Andrew,

You took the words out of my mouth. This applies to 1 specific jersey in my collection... it is a 2006 Carlos Beltran Mets jersey authenticated by Steiner and by MLB. The MLB hologram dates the jersey to a specifc game where he homered. I have video of this home run.

The anomaly here is that jersey is missing a patch. The video supports the missing patch. In this case, adding "the missing patch" afterwards will severely degrade the jersey...

Nick

Nick,

The Skyline patch was missing from Beltran's jersey for that game?

There were no other patches in 2006.

TNTtoys
07-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Nick,

The Skyline patch was missing from Beltran's jersey for that game?

There were no other patches in 2006.

Yes, indeed. There is no skyline patch on his jersey, and this is 100% supported by the video of the game. A nice little anomaly, huh?

metsbats
07-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Yes, indeed. There is no skyline patch on his jersey, and this is 100% supported by the video of the game. A nice little anomaly, huh?

This proves anything is possible!

TNTtoys
07-17-2009, 12:13 PM
This proves anything is possible!

David,

Feel free to check it out --

http://www.mlb.com/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=nym&ym=200606

Click the link titled "Beltran's homer" under June 27th.

I have some funny feeling that the fact he has 2" extra sleeve length added to all of his jerseys may be the reason why some of them are missing patches.

If you take a look at June 28th, he's also wearing a jersey that's missing a patch. It may or may not be the same jersey.

Nick

jppopma
07-17-2009, 12:25 PM
I think Andrew was trying to agree that it is NOT ok to add a patch that was never there, which I agree with. Even if the jersey was supposed to have the patch and there is no sign of one being there, I would not put one on.

With the Beltran example, I like the little oddities like that. I think the jersey, along with the supporting video would actually be a plus for the jersey.

Does anyone know of a good place to look for the game used patches that had been removed at some point? My guess is that teams sell them if they remove them..maybe. Otherwise, maybe there are collectors who take them off so their houses are not overrun with jerseys (I can almost see acrross my basement still..). I tried looking online and on ebay, but all I see are new collector copies of the patches. Like I said before, there is no way I would put one of them on there.

Thanks.

allstarsplus
07-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Andrew,

Just to understand (or not misunderstand) what you are saying. If one has a jersey from a year that sported a particular patch and for some reason the patch was never sewn on the jersey (in other words not removed), it's ok to sew on the patch and not disclose it because you are restoring a patch that never was there and was supposed to be for that year?

Thanks

No, if it never had a patch I don't think you add one. I think you add one only if there was evidence it was removed and then of course disclose if you ever do sell.

metsbats
07-17-2009, 04:16 PM
No, if it never had a patch I don't think you add one. I think you add one only if there was evidence it was removed and then of course disclose if you ever do sell.

That's what I thought. Sorry for my misread. I totally agree.

karamaxjoe
07-17-2009, 04:17 PM
In this case, adding "the missing patch" afterwards will severely degrade the jersey...

Nick

Nick, I think that is personal preference of the collector. As long as it's disclosed it shouldn't degrade the jersey. It's definetly not as good as having the original patch, but replacing the original with full disclosure is okay.

metsbats
07-17-2009, 06:09 PM
In Nick's case the missing patch makes for the perfect photo match. It's kind of like having an error jersey if you really think about it.

nyjetsfan14
07-17-2009, 07:28 PM
It's your collection, you paid for the items with your own hard earned money, than do with it as you wish. I would agree that disclosure of any alterations if and when an item is sold/traded would be appropriate. But in the end you deserve the right to enjoy your collection as you see fit regardless of what others think.