PDA

View Full Version : My current collecting pet peeve

CampWest
07-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Okay, let me preface this with: I appreciate sellers taking the responsibility to carefully and thoughtfully protect items that are being sent to buyers.

That said, I am really having bad luck with game used bats recently. A bat I purchased a couple months ago (from Canada - draw your own conclusions or insert your own punchlines) was wrapped in an old jacket and what appeared to be chaps... they were... wooly type material... kind of fur like... and had a really bad stench. I immediately sanitized myself after discarding. The main beef with this was the pine tar collected random samples of this wooly furry wrapping. So, my $150 bat, now shows nice use with seam marks, rack marks, ink transfers, cleat marks, moderate pine tar, and 60's era fur pants remnants.

A month ago I got a fresh bat that was placed in a USPS triangle tube and filled with peanuts. I spent the next 45 minutes arduously picking off hundreds, literally hundreds, of tiny specks of packing peanut particles. On the bright side, I now have a huge collection of peanut specks with varying light to moderate pine tar.

Now today, I just received a bat, for which I paid several hundred dollars (my biggest single bat purchase to date). This bat was recently used. Thankfully, no knappy old clothing was used, nor packing peanut particle dust, but the bat was *tightly* wrapped with bubble wrap, bubble side in. Since the bat was recently used, the pine tar is still very wet and tacky. So, now I have a pricey bat with nice ball seam marks, ink transfers, and moderate pine tar with random circular patterns.

But I guess as an added bonus, I have a sheet of bubble wrap that now shows evidence of game use with a light coating of pine tar. :p

So, I guess my point, if I have one, is... THESE ARE WOOD BATS, they are designed to be very sturdy they are designed to be swung at 90mph speeds into a tightly wrapped ball that is hurled at 90mph+. I do not see the need to ruin them with packing materials that provide little to no significant protection. If the sturdy cardboard package is slightly mistreated, no harm will come to the solid piece of wood. If the package is horribly mangled, a single layer of bubble wrap will not stop the damage.

Obviously broken bats may need a little added support... I guess I'd just prefer a carefully double boxed package to any of the above three options that have made my bats less than ideal and less than their original game used condition. And thereby less than what I thought I was paying for...

Of course if something were not properly wrapped and seriously damaged, I'd be equally frustrated. Cake and eating it too, would be nice. There are ways to safely package without the protection damaging the item...

There is irony for you Alanis Morisette - forget the rain on your wedding day and sing about the bubble wrap that messed with my pine tar.

Personally, I ship all bats in bat tubes inside a sturdy mailer... Seems less damaging to the bat and provides better support and protection.

Thanks for letting me vent, I know its silly, but these three bats have been frustrating, despite the best intentions of the packager - though maybe not the knappy fur pants, I think that was out of spite.

any other peeves? - And I dont want to hear "people that complain about packaging materials messing up their pine tar" ;)

bigtruck260
07-17-2009, 10:37 PM
I spent the next 45 minutes arduously picking off hundreds, literally hundreds, of tiny specks of packing peanut particles

I hear you loud and clear. This is a mess when it happens.

bigtruck260
07-17-2009, 10:40 PM
One of the first jerseys I bought was disgusting - cigarette smoke thru and thru. I've had several things come thru the mail that reeked of smoke.

suicide_squeeze
07-17-2009, 11:18 PM
One of the first jerseys I bought was disgusting - cigarette smoke thru and thru. I've had several things come thru the mail that reeked of smoke.

Dave,

The UPS guys, while on smoke break, apparently didn't like the player, as they closed it back up and eventually made the delivery to you....

suicide_squeeze
07-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Okay, let me preface this with: I appreciate sellers taking the responsibility to carefully and thoughtfully protect items that are being sent to buyers.

That said, I am really having bad luck with game used bats recently. A bat I purchased a couple months ago (from Canada - draw your own conclusions or insert your own punchlines) was wrapped in an old jacket and what appeared to be chaps... they were... wooly type material... kind of fur like... and had a really bad stench. I immediately sanitized myself after discarding. The main beef with this was the pine tar collected random samples of this wooly furry wrapping. So, my $150 bat, now shows nice use with seam marks, rack marks, ink transfers, cleat marks, moderate pine tar, and 60's era fur pants remnants.

A month ago I got a fresh bat that was placed in a USPS triangle tube and filled with peanuts. I spent the next 45 minutes arduously picking off hundreds, literally hundreds, of tiny specks of packing peanut particles. On the bright side, I now have a huge collection of peanut specks with varying light to moderate pine tar.

Now today, I just received a bat, for which I paid several hundred dollars (my biggest single bat purchase to date). This bat was recently used. Thankfully, no knappy old clothing was used, nor packing peanut particle dust, but the bat was *tightly* wrapped with bubble wrap, bubble side in. Since the bat was recently used, the pine tar is still very wet and tacky. So, now I have a pricey bat with nice ball seam marks, ink transfers, and moderate pine tar with random circular patterns.

But I guess as an added bonus, I have a sheet of bubble wrap that now shows evidence of game use with a light coating of pine tar. :p

So, I guess my point, if I have one, is... THESE ARE WOOD BATS, they are designed to be very sturdy they are designed to be swung at 90mph speeds into a tightly wrapped ball that is hurled at 90mph+. I do not see the need to ruin them with packing materials that provide little to no significant protection. If the sturdy cardboard package is slightly mistreated, no harm will come to the solid piece of wood. If the package is horribly mangled, a single layer of bubble wrap will not stop the damage.

Obviously broken bats may need a little added support... I guess I'd just prefer a carefully double boxed package to any of the above three options that have made my bats less than ideal and less than their original game used condition. And thereby less than what I thought I was paying for...

Of course if something were not properly wrapped and seriously damaged, I'd be equally frustrated. Cake and eating it too, would be nice. There are ways to safely package without the protection damaging the item...

There is irony for you Alanis Morisette - forget the rain on your wedding day and sing about the bubble wrap that messed with my pine tar.

Personally, I ship all bats in bat tubes inside a sturdy mailer... Seems less damaging to the bat and provides better support and protection.

Thanks for letting me vent, I know its silly, but these three bats have been frustrating, despite the best intentions of the packager - though maybe not the knappy fur pants, I think that was out of spite.

any other peeves? - And I dont want to hear "people that complain about packaging materials messing up their pine tar" ;)

Camp,

To be honest, the three bats sent to you were sent (packaged) by a typical idiot who has no common sense or concern about how to properly protect a little piece of history.

Whenever I win something that needs special care.......and a bat loaded with pine tar does.......I always make sure to ask if they plan on sending it in a bat tube. That is the only proper way to protect the bat.

I would be pissed too if I were you, and you are darn sure right to be pissed. I just don't understand what's up with most people today....it just seems like it's a battle to find someone who cares anymore. They're out there, and should be praised when deserved......and exposed if they show no care. Use these experiences as a learning curve and demand better care for the next shipment you receive. You are paying for it, so you deserve it.

whatupyos
07-17-2009, 11:30 PM

I'm sorry for your misfortune. That really really sucks. But I thank you for sharing because it gave me a good laugh. Not at your expense, and I sincerely don't mean that in a bad way, I just like how even though you're mad, you have a good sense of humor about it.

Aaron

emann
07-17-2009, 11:52 PM
This is always a major drawback to buying most anything off ebay...

It's not always just dumb collectors though... I bought a $500 bat a little while back that arrived in a shipping tube. One end had a plastic cap taped down, the other had just tape and a white sock covering the end of the bat. It didn't look like the tube lost the cap in shipping, it looked more like this dealer couldn't find it when he packed it up and decided the sock and tape provided enough protection. Unreal.

mariner_gamers
07-18-2009, 02:46 AM
If I ever got anything wrapped in chaps it would be well worth the stench just for the story. The chaps would be cleaned and nailed to the wall in my arcade becoming an instant conversation piece at all my parties. I have had well over 300 bats shipped to me in the past 10 years and have nothing on your chaps wrap........

murfsteve25
07-18-2009, 07:14 AM
I am glad this thread was created. A few weeks ago I bought a GU Gary Sheffield bat from Mead Chasky through Ebay. The bat is black with a good amount of tar on it. Whoever packed the bat decided it was neccessary to place a very long tube sock over the bat. When i took the sock off, there were little white pieces of fabric all over the bat. Common sence goes a long way. I emailed the reps at Mead Chasky and told them that probably wasnt the smartest thing to do and I gave them a very suggestions on how to pack a bat. lol

Dave4Reds
07-18-2009, 08:38 AM
I just received game bat yesterday that was autographed by the player. The seller in his infinite wisdom wanted to protect the autograph so he used clear packing tape to attached a paper towel over the auto leaving tape residue in several places that has been almost impossible to get off. Unbelievable!

CampWest
07-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Yeah, two of these - the moose pelt and the packing peanuts were from eBay. The Canadian Beaver wrapped bat seller was a consignment seller, he promised safely packaged. hee hee...

The packing peanuts was a bat purchased from a high volume bat dealer on ebay... I was surprised, very surprised by that one.

I'v had a couple dirty old socks stuck in the ends of bat tubes before too, kinda weird.. I'd never send somebody one of my crusty old gym socks, thats just not good customer service.

Similar to the "how to NOT sell a jersey thread" I don't want any used clothing off of ebay, especially not with my bats.

This is always a major drawback to buying most anything off ebay...

It's not always just dumb collectors though... I bought a $500 bat a little while back that arrived in a shipping tube. One end had a plastic cap taped down, the other had just tape and a white sock covering the end of the bat. It didn't look like the tube lost the cap in shipping, it looked more like this dealer couldn't find it when he packed it up and decided the sock and tape provided enough protection. Unreal.

emann
07-18-2009, 10:31 AM
I'v had a couple dirty old socks stuck in the ends of bat tubes before too, kinda weird.. I'd never send somebody one of my crusty old gym socks, thats just not good customer service.

If it was on the end of a tube, it wouldn't have been a huge issue- this was the only protection on the bat (and it was signed in silver to top it off).

I've also had things come that smell like smoke. That's really annoying, especially on fabric items...

suicide_squeeze
07-18-2009, 07:52 PM
I am glad this thread was created. A few weeks ago I bought a GU Gary Sheffield bat from Mead Chasky through Ebay. The bat is black with a good amount of tar on it. Whoever packed the bat decided it was neccessary to place a very long tube sock over the bat. When i took the sock off, there were little white pieces of fabric all over the bat. Common sence goes a long way. I emailed the reps at Mead Chasky and told them that probably wasnt the smartest thing to do and I gave them a very suggestions on how to pack a bat. lol

Let me guess......you received NO response whatsoever from Chad, right?

He is not the most communicative guy. I know....

He's probably busy doing something else more important... http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/fatman.gif

suicide_squeeze
07-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Dang typo's......."Chad"="Chas"......sorry

platinum1
09-30-2010, 12:50 AM
My biggest pet peeve is getting an email from a forum member asking
for help in purchasing a game used jersey or asking how much they should pay for a jersey and then never getting a simple THANK YOU!!! or any other type of reply for helping them out. :mad:
Does this happen to any one else?

jobathenut
09-30-2010, 01:28 AM
This is also my biggest pet peeve.So i am right with you on this.I hate people that can't respond to emails.:mad: :mad: :mad:

r_phelps
09-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Mine is bat collectors that store their naturl colored bats close or in a bat boc with black colored bats and end up rubbing half the black paint off on the blonde bat everytime they show off their collection. lol Or maybe the ones who pull and picl at their pine tar because they don't know what they have.

allstarsplus
09-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Pet Peeve? Where do I begin? This is a long story about a buyer who puts remorse in the term "buyer's remorse!"

I have a collector who contacted me as soon as a certain player was signed by the Washington Nationals. I never dealt with him before this call in January 2009. This collector had a nice wishlist and mostly it was for MLB Authenticated items of the player and in particular a full uniform and well used uncracked bats. The jersey had to be authenticated and the jersey couldn't be one with little to no use.

I got the perfect uniform towards the end of 2009 and it was a great Set 2 MLB hologram'd with matching Set 2 pants, cap, cleats, batting gloves. The jersey was unwashed too. Perfect, so I thought. Quoted the price, and the buyer didn't like the price and passed on it. A conversation about the jersey spilled over to my Facebook page and another collector saw the conversation and saw the other person said "I will pass" and he took it on the spot. Then there were hurt feelings by the original guy and it only got worse when the new buyer photomatched the jersey to 3 Home Runs and has made this the focal part of his collection.

So this season, the player is growing in popularity and I am getting lots of bats and sell one to John Taube who sells it to someone who posted on GUU that the bat was photomatched to many HRs. I get a call from the same guy who asked me why I didn't offer the bat to him. I simply said you wanted uncracked bats and this bat was cracked! He says to me, well this is a significant bat and I would have liked to have been offered the bat. I told him truth be told, I didn't even bother photomatching it or checking the MLB Hologram.

He then wants another chance at a full uniform. I reluctantly said ok, but this time I am collecting the pricetag upfront. He wants a jersey that is unwashed and MLB holo'd on the actual date the player hits a HR. That is a tall order and super tough especially to show a jersey with wear. I get a price and ask for payment in full upfront. He sends me the money.

This season is winding down and haven't fulfilled the order as nothing is lining up well. So this past weekend on Friday night, the player hits 2 HRs in one game and the jersey will be significant as the player also had RBI 100 in that game. The deal is set. As things sometimes go wrong and out of my control, the jersey mistakingly was taken from the players hangar on the front hook of his locker and washed. The next day, the player sees his jersey freshly washed and I get the message of apology. Luckily, he is going to wear the same red alternate jersey for that day's game and we start all over but he doesn't hit a HR in that game. My buyer doesn't want the jersey now. I told him it can easily be photomatched to the night before but he refuses.

At this point, I offer a refund as I am doubting I have any chance to get him the jersey he covets-----but Tuesday night the player hits a mammoth WALK OFF HR in his white Set 4 home white jersey!!!!!!!! The buyer calls me and I told him I will do all I can to get this one. This time the jersey is MLB holo'd and stuck in his golf bag to wait for me to pick it up. The jersey is soaked in sweat a day later (when I picked it up yesterday). My guess is that this is the only jersey in this players career where he hit a WALK OFF HR and got the jersey hologram'd. In fact, this is his 1st WALK OFF HR in his 2 years with the Nationals. Personally, I would love this jersey as part of my personal collection.

News traveled fast and another collector who knows the buyer heard he was getting this WALK OFF HR jersey and I guess unbeknownst to me, my buyer sent out over the weekend this nasty email to a bunch of people and thought I should have the following email:

I hope XXXX (I am x'ing out the name of the player) does not hit a homer til he goes on the road...then I'll ask for my money back from Lang. I'm done with all of it after this past weekend. F##k ( took out the actual curse word) it.

So after reading this, my feelings are hurt. I can't believe he would write something so nasty especially with how hard I have worked on his behalf. I call the buyer and confront him. I ask the buyer about this email yesteday and he said it was just out of frustration. I make sure he knows that he doesn't have to take the jersey. He said he absolutely wants it.

In my 12+ years of trying to get unique items for people, this one is personal. If I were to write more details, it would become a book. I have also learned he has done similar to others. I hope this closes a chapter where this buyer finds true happiness and maybe stops and thinks for a moment that some people go above and beyond and it isn't all about making a profit because if it was, I would have sold this jersey for $600 more to another collector who threw out a fair offer when learning that I had this jersey, and I said I couldn't and wouldn't sell it to anyone else.

Yep, this is my pet peeve. I hate to go public with this but I hope the buyer reads this because he knows who he is. Maybe he can take a long look in the mirror and change his ways. He has told me he is a deeply religious person so here is hoping, you should love your neighbor as yourself.

jobathenut
09-30-2010, 05:28 PM
ALLSTAR-As i am also a fan of this player i know who you are talking about.I don't know who the buyer is though.But yeah that's terrible that he sent that email.You did all you could do.It's not like you could have been there to collect the jersey after the game like mei-gray does.I wonder how much a jersey like that would cost of his walk off.Man i wish i had the money for that.But hell i am still saving up to get those cleats from you.:rolleyes:

jobathenut
09-30-2010, 05:30 PM
ALLSTAR-I forgot to ask my question.And that was so did you end up selling him that jersey even after that email.And did you tell him that you fond out about it-thanks

MLB_Authentic
09-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Skyking at his best?? Me thinks so.

Pet Peeve? Where do I begin? This is a long story about a buyer who puts remorse in the term "buyer's remorse!"

I have a collector who contacted me as soon as a certain player was signed by the Washington Nationals. I never dealt with him before this call in January 2009. This collector had a nice wishlist and mostly it was for MLB Authenticated items of the player and in particular a full uniform and well used uncracked bats. The jersey had to be authenticated and the jersey couldn't be one with little to no use.

I got the perfect uniform towards the end of 2009 and it was a great Set 2 MLB hologram'd with matching Set 2 pants, cap, cleats, batting gloves. The jersey was unwashed too. Perfect, so I thought. Quoted the price, and the buyer didn't like the price and passed on it. A conversation about the jersey spilled over to my Facebook page and another collector saw the conversation and saw the other person said "I will pass" and he took it on the spot. Then there were hurt feelings by the original guy and it only got worse when the new buyer photomatched the jersey to 3 Home Runs and has made this the focal part of his collection.

So this season, the player is growing in popularity and I am getting lots of bats and sell one to John Taube who sells it to someone who posted on GUU that the bat was photomatched to many HRs. I get a call from the same guy who asked me why I didn't offer the bat to him. I simply said you wanted uncracked bats and this bat was cracked! He says to me, well this is a significant bat and I would have liked to have been offered the bat. I told him truth be told, I didn't even bother photomatching it or checking the MLB Hologram.

He then wants another chance at a full uniform. I reluctantly said ok, but this time I am collecting the pricetag upfront. He wants a jersey that is unwashed and MLB holo'd on the actual date the player hits a HR. That is a tall order and super tough especially to show a jersey with wear. I get a price and ask for payment in full upfront. He sends me the money.

This season is winding down and haven't fulfilled the order as nothing is lining up well. So this past weekend on Friday night, the player hits 2 HRs in one game and the jersey will be significant as the player also had RBI 100 in that game. The deal is set. As things sometimes go wrong and out of my control, the jersey mistakingly was taken from the players hangar on the front hook of his locker and washed. The next day, the player sees his jersey freshly washed and I get the message of apology. Luckily, he is going to wear the same red alternate jersey for that day's game and we start all over but he doesn't hit a HR in that game. My buyer doesn't want the jersey now. I told him it can easily be photomatched to the night before but he refuses.

At this point, I offer a refund as I am doubting I have any chance to get him the jersey he covets-----but Tuesday night the player hits a mammoth WALK OFF HR in his white Set 4 home white jersey!!!!!!!! The buyer calls me and I told him I will do all I can to get this one. This time the jersey is MLB holo'd and stuck in his golf bag to wait for me to pick it up. The jersey is soaked in sweat a day later (when I picked it up yesterday). My guess is that this is the only jersey in this players career where he hit a WALK OFF HR and got the jersey hologram'd. In fact, this is his 1st WALK OFF HR in his 2 years with the Nationals. Personally, I would love this jersey as part of my personal collection.

News traveled fast and another collector who knows the buyer heard he was getting this WALK OFF HR jersey and I guess unbeknownst to me, my buyer sent out over the weekend this nasty email to a bunch of people and thought I should have the following email:

I hope XXXX (I am x'ing out the name of the player) does not hit a homer til he goes on the road...then I'll ask for my money back from Lang. I'm done with all of it after this past weekend. F##k ( took out the actual curse word) it.

So after reading this, my feelings are hurt. I can't believe he would write something so nasty especially with how hard I have worked on his behalf. I call the buyer and confront him. I ask the buyer about this email yesteday and he said it was just out of frustration. I make sure he knows that he doesn't have to take the jersey. He said he absolutely wants it.

In my 12+ years of trying to get unique items for people, this one is personal. If I were to write more details, it would become a book. I have also learned he has done similar to others. I hope this closes a chapter where this buyer finds true happiness and maybe stops and thinks for a moment that some people go above and beyond and it isn't all about making a profit because if it was, I would have sold this jersey for $600 more to another collector who threw out a fair offer when learning that I had this jersey, and I said I couldn't and wouldn't sell it to anyone else.

Yep, this is my pet peeve. I hate to go public with this but I hope the buyer reads this because he knows who he is. Maybe he can take a long look in the mirror and change his ways. He has told me he is a deeply religious person so here is hoping, you should love your neighbor as yourself.

sox83cubs84
09-30-2010, 06:01 PM
My "Dunn" moment came a number of years ago, when a collector wrote me about every 4-5 months asking me to get him jerseys with Simpson as the NOB. After close to two years of looking, I got him a Royals Joe Simpson gamer. I overtraded for it, but figured that, if he bought it, I'd be satisfied. So, you can imagine my chagrin when I've gotten him what he asked for, mailed him a letter about it (pre-Internet days) and get a response saying that he had changed his collecting focus, and was now collecting Rick Reichardt items instead, leaving me stuck with the Simpson jersey. I dealt it soon after (at a loss), and had crossed the guy off my customers list when, maybe three months after this, he sends me a postcard again asking for Simpson jerseys...no apologies for sticking me with the one I had already gotten him!. I responded, and basically told him, in less vulgar terms, to f*** off.

Dave Miedema

Birdbats
09-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Here's one of my pet peeves. Just for fun, I searched "1/1" in the "game-used memorabilia" section of eBay. There were 681 cards listed. It's bad enough that my game-used search results are littered with cards... but, c'mon, 681 1/1 cards? Seriously? Those must be rare!

allstarsplus
09-30-2010, 07:56 PM
ALLSTAR-I forgot to ask my question.And that was so did you end up selling him that jersey even after that email.And did you tell him that you fond out about it-thanks

I called him and confronted him about the email. He didn't deny it, but he didn't apologize, only gave me some BS that after he didn't get the 2 HR jersey he decided to buy something else and needed the money he sent me, but didn't buy that item (surprise/surprise) so he still wanted the XXXX HR jersey. I told him how upsetting it was to read his email and that if he didn't want it "buyer's remorse" to just say the word and I would refund his money. He said he still wanted it and in fact sent a video of the HR to many of his collector friends so it is packaged up for Fedex.

Someone sent me an email of a horrible case they had as a dealer from a buyer who went through buyer's remorse. The person ordered a special inscription on a jersey that was personalized to the person's kid and then decided they weren't taking the jersey.

Birdbats
09-30-2010, 07:59 PM
My "Dunn" moment came a number of years ago, when a collector wrote me about every 4-5 months asking me to get him jerseys with Simpson as the NOB. After close to two years of looking, I got him a Royals Joe Simpson gamer. I overtraded for it, but figured that, if he bought it, I'd be satisfied. So, you can imagine my chagrin when I've gotten him what he asked for, mailed him a letter about it (pre-Internet days) and get a response saying that he had changed his collecting focus, and was now collecting Rick Reichardt items instead, leaving me stuck with the Simpson jersey. I dealt it soon after (at a loss), and had crossed the guy off my customers list when, maybe three months after this, he sends me a postcard again asking for Simpson jerseys...no apologies for sticking me with the one I had already gotten him!. I responded, and basically told him, in less vulgar terms, to f*** off.

Dave Miedema

I've had that happen too, Dave, at least three different times. Someone will tell me, "Get me anything you can of player X." Then when I do and let the person know, I get an e-mail reply of "Thanks, but I'll pass." I still have a Rocky Bridges retail bat on my website that someone had to have, then didn't (my asking price is 25% less than what I paid, so I'm going to take a loss). I no longer fill want lists for people unless I talk to them prior to pulling the trigger.

jobathenut
09-30-2010, 10:07 PM
ALLSTAR-I just think they was no excuse for them to write such a email.I mean especially after all you were doing for them.Some things are out of your control and that person should have realized that.I understand being upset but in so many things it's not what you say,it's how you say it.And they said it in a totally worng way.I am happy to hear you did confront them on it.As i think so many people get away with thier rudeness in the hobby.I can't believe you still honored your word and sold him the jersey.I know alot of people would tell him to get bent.But that's what make you a a class act is that you do what you say you will do for someone and go that extra mile for them.
I called him and confronted him about the email. He didn't deny it, but he didn't apologize, only gave me some BS that after he didn't get the 2 HR jersey he decided to buy something else and needed the money he sent me, but didn't buy that item (surprise/surprise) so he still wanted the XXXX HR jersey. I told him how upsetting it was to read his email and that if he didn't want it "buyer's remorse" to just say the word and I would refund his money. He said he still wanted it and in fact sent a video of the HR to many of his collector friends so it is packaged up for Fedex.

Someone sent me an email of a horrible case they had as a dealer from a buyer who went through buyer's remorse. The person ordered a special inscription on a jersey that was personalized to the person's kid and then decided they weren't taking the jersey.

BU54CB
10-01-2010, 09:23 AM

To me, you went above and beyond, I would have told whomever this was to go pound sand.
You're the one doing all the work and not asking for anything in return. The problem is people show absolutely no appreciation these days for anything people do for them, its rather sad.

allstarsplus
10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
To me, you went above and beyond, I would have told whomever this was to go pound sand.
You're the one doing all the work and not asking for anything in return. The problem is people show absolutely no appreciation these days for anything people do for them, its rather sad.

Thanks. The buyer has seen the post and sent me an apology email this morning.

As someone who read this sent to me:

Andrew, I dont post on the Forum so please feel free to put this up for 808 to see. The first time shame on him and the 2nd time shame on you that you never should have given him another chance on a jersey and BAM he did it to you again. I know he is from Detroit so as they say a TIGER never changes his stripes. That guy is bad news for the hobby. Don't worry, after he recieves the jersey he will find something to complain about. You should only hope he wants to return it to you as you deserve better. Keep it for yourself or sell it for the treasure it is to someone who will thank you many times over for the opportunity. That is a special jersey and you are a saint to deal with him!

His email was also forwarded to me and others and I did not have the heart to telling you that he was back to talking behind your back. Most people wont deal with him. I am surprised the Baker in Detroit deals with him and ole 808 knows who the Baker is as I am sure he will be reading this if you post it up. If you didnt know, he also pulled a fast one on John Taube about a week ago about a Hank Greenburg bat. I dont know all the details but lets just say Taube sold it to someone else. Someone can start a thread just on 808. Good luck and please let me know the outcome!

platinum1
10-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I've had that happen too, Dave, at least three different times. Someone will tell me, "Get me anything you can of player X." Then when I do and let the person know, I get an e-mail reply of "Thanks, but I'll pass." I still have a Rocky Bridges retail bat on my website that someone had to have, then didn't (my asking price is 25% less than what I paid, so I'm going to take a loss). I no longer fill want lists for people unless I talk to them prior to pulling the trigger.
I totally agree.
I had people do this stuff all the time.
Thats why I wont pick up anything for anyone unless I know them really really well

Jags Fan Dan
10-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Not my biggest pet peeve, but a peeve none the less, what is the deal with people taking a game used bat that is in two pieces and just taping it together with crappy looking white tape all up and down the darn bat? Who does that look good to? Either leave it in two or glue it back together, in my humble opinion. The tape is a nightmare to me.

godwulf
10-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Not my biggest pet peeve, but a peeve none the less, what is the deal with people taking a game used bat that is in two pieces and just taping it together with crappy looking white tape all up and down the darn bat? Who does that look good to? Either leave it in two or glue it back together, in my humble opinion. The tape is a nightmare to me.

If someone is going to sell a bat, I can't blame them for not glueing it; after all, not all collectors want a broken bat repaired in any way. Or they want to glue it, themselves, maybe after taking photos of it before the repair. I suspect that at least some sellers get the bats that way - they may have been taped by a bat boy or clubhouse guy, just so the pieces didn't get separated - and don't want to take the tape off for fear of messing something up; some may even think, if they did get the bat in that condition, that the tape adds "authenticity" to the bat.

This has, fortunately, only happened to me a couple of times, but have you ever gotten a bat, sticky with pine tar, shipped in a box full of packing peanuts?! Do I need to elaborate?

Here's one. Ever find yourself engaged in a lengthy email conversation with somebody - this happens to me with eBay seller a lot - and they never SIGN the email, or otherwise indicate what their name is? I always sign my emails with "Jeff ('godwulf')"...and a lot of guys apparently don't think their name is any of my business. :rolleyes:

sox83cubs84
10-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Another peeve: people who think you're going to the ballpark for their benefit. When the Beanie Babies craze began, and the Cubs started using a few a year as SGAs, a woman at my place of employment asked if I was going to the game (I would take a long lunch, go for batting practice, report back to work and stay later to make up the time). When I told her I did, she asked me "could you pick me up a Beanie Baby while you're there?"

First off, the beanies were kids giveaways, not offered to adults. I mentioned that, then added that my ticket had cost, as did my rapid transit ride to and from Wrigley Field, and that I'd likely have to pay off an usher or fan to get one. I told her that if she was willing to reimburse the above costs, I'd get her one. When I mentioned being compensated for my expenses, all of a sudden getting that Beanie Baby was no longer important.

Dave Miedema

lakeerie92
10-04-2010, 02:40 PM

I do this. More for protection of the bat. The three broken bats I have this on all have small pieces that could break off if it gets bumped or messed with. I don't want glue the bat because I don't care for that. I use a non residue leaving tape. The bats I have it on came from the Braves and were wrapped and held together with packing tape. I just wrap two small areas enough to hold the bat together. The tape can be removed if I want to sell it and it is the original bat. I can then sell it to someone who like gluing them or someone who doesn't. If you glue a bat you limit prospective buyers when you go to sell it.

shaunharr
01-19-2012, 04:43 PM
When someone lists something for sale with their email address, and say to email them if you have interest, why do buyers insist on putting their email address on the thread and ask for an email from the seller, rahter than just emailing them themselves?

Just a little pet peeve of mine. Any thoughts?

short84
01-19-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't know but my pet peeve is to have seller's list their email address and then not check their email! I had that happen last week -- told someone I would purchase an item and sent them an email that payment had been sent and 36 hours later I got a reply from the seller that they sold it to someone else. When you list something for sale and you want to be contacted via email, at least check your email messages on a regular basis. In my opinion, this prevents hard feelings. Thanks for letting me vent!

shaunharr
01-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I agree! I check mine a few times a day

frikativ54
01-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Hasn't been a problem for me. If people are interested in an item, they just email me. And I'm good about checking both the forum and my email.

-Frik

MLB~NUT
01-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Well, that is why I take it appon myself to ask the seller to ship it in a bat tube, if they don't have one laying around offer to pay extra to have them ship it in one, luckily I've never had this problem. You get more with sugar than salt...;)

frikativ54
01-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Another peeve: people who think you're going to the ballpark for their benefit. When the Beanie Babies craze began, and the Cubs started using a few a year as SGAs, a woman at my place of employment asked if I was going to the game (I would take a long lunch, go for batting practice, report back to work and stay later to make up the time). When I told her I did, she asked me "could you pick me up a Beanie Baby while you're there?"

First off, the beanies were kids giveaways, not offered to adults. I mentioned that, then added that my ticket had cost, as did my rapid transit ride to and from Wrigley Field, and that I'd likely have to pay off an usher or fan to get one. I told her that if she was willing to reimburse the above costs, I'd get her one. When I mentioned being compensated for my expenses, all of a sudden getting that Beanie Baby was no longer important.

Dave Miedema

I completely understand asking for compensation for having to pay someone off. What I'm curious about is why she would need to reimburse you for a trip you were already making. Just curious. Did you have prior experience with this colleague's wanting something for nothing; if so, I'd be annoyed too.

I have a couple of personal pet peeves, one being when an eBay buyer takes forever to remit payment and then emails me that he will be sending payment shortly. In the time it took to email me, he could have clicked a couple of buttons and have sent the dinero instantly.

Another annoying experience was a forum member who wanted me to look out for stuff for him at FanFest. I went looking at a couple of places on his behalf, with his turning every item down. That's fine; he's not obligated to buy anything that I find at the Team Store or at FanFest.

However, a couple of weeks later, this same guy emails me that something has come up and he no longer can afford anything. Of course, for the next few weeks, he makes several Want Ads on GUU. If he no longer wanted the stuff, that would be one thing. But I don't take well to people's mendacity.

sox83cubs84
01-24-2012, 04:37 PM
I completely understand asking for compensation for having to pay someone off. What I'm curious about is why she would need to reimburse you for a trip you were already making. Just curious. Did you have prior experience with this colleague's wanting something for nothing; if so, I'd be annoyed too.

I have a couple of personal pet peeves, one being when an eBay buyer takes forever to remit payment and then emails me that he will be sending payment shortly. In the time it took to email me, he could have clicked a couple of buttons and have sent the dinero instantly.

Another annoying experience was a forum member who wanted me to look out for stuff for him at FanFest. I went looking at a couple of places on his behalf, with his turning every item down. That's fine; he's not obligated to buy anything that I find at the Team Store or at FanFest.

However, a couple of weeks later, this same guy emails me that something has come up and he no longer can afford anything. Of course, for the next few weeks, he makes several Want Ads on GUU. If he no longer wanted the stuff, that would be one thing. But I don't take well to people's mendacity.
Frik:

You have a point, but, in retrospect, it was just as much her assumptive attitude as anything else. The woman was a co-worker, not a close friend, and the flip way she asked just rubbed me the wrong way...she acted as if she were you or another close collecting pal than someone
I may not have any contact with for a whole week.

Dave M.

xpress34
01-24-2012, 08:35 PM

Frik -

+1!!!

My bigger issue is when guys are 'selling' - claiming they need money for some personal issue - medical, house payment, food, broken down car, etc - and minutes later post in 'wanted' saying they are serious buyers in the market for item xxx...

If you are selling to finance another purchase, just be honest about it!

- Smitty

xpress34
01-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Frik:

You have a point, but, in retrospect, it was just as much her assumptive attitude as anything else. The woman was a co-worker, not a close friend, and the flip way she asked just rubbed me the wrong way...she acted as if she were you or another close collecting pal than someone
I may not have any contact with for a whole week.

Dave M.

Dave -

+1!!!!

I have co-workers (yes, I do go out for drinks with them time to time, but we don't 'hang out' on the weekends and all) who know I'm a huge baseball fan and collector and when their kid says they like player X, these guys come out of the woodwork - 'can you get me an autograph of xxx? ooh grab me a used bat while you're at the game... get me so and so's batting gloves...'

Yes, I actually get these types of requests regularly through out the season... then when I ask for reciprocation - no matter how minor - they act like I'm asking a huge favor of them without realizing what it takes to actually complete any of the requests I've mentioned above.

- Smitty