PDA

View Full Version : My first game used fielding glove & new grail!

gameused
07-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Just got this Manny Ramirez, L.A. Dodgers fielding glove in and it's the first fielding glove I have purchased and definitely one of the highlights of my Manny collection.

I've been looking for a legit Manny glove for several years now and this one fits the bill. Shows good use and is nicely broken in. It may be Manny's first game used Akadema Dodgers glove (blue) that was used in late 2008 and early spring training 2009, I will try to confirm this with Akadema glove reps.

The glove is style matched to the 08 and 09 seasons and I may have a photo matched the glove to Manny's hand. Working on posting the photo match.

Thanks for looking!

Bobby
hawaii_five0@yahoo.com

markize
07-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Just got this Manny Ramirez, L.A. Dodgers fielding glove in and it's the first fielding glove I have purchased and definitely one of the highlights of my Manny collection.

I've been looking for a legit Manny glove for several years now and this one fits the bill. Shows good use and is nicely broken in. It may be Manny's first game used Akadema Dodgers glove (blue) that was used in late 2008 and early spring training 2009, I will try to confirm this with Akadema glove reps.

The glove is style matched to the 08 and 09 seasons and I may have a photo matched the glove to Manny's hand. Working on posting the photo match.

Thanks for looking!

Bobby
hawaii_five0@yahoo.com

Bobby,

great glove, and good for you!! I know how excited I was when I got my first glove several months ago. Could only be better if you get that match. I hope you do. Great pickup.

Mark

stretch
07-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Beautiful glove. Try search March of 2009 and work your way around that month. Good Luck.

stretch
07-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Here is the glove. A better match would be ideal I'm sure, but save it to your computer, and you'll notice the lace is not tied if you zoom in on the picture.

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Manny+Ramirez+signs+Los+Angeles+Dodgers+nzzX9RUvUg 7l.jpg

gamer35
07-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Nice glove. You have any pics of him using that style from the 2008 season though? All the pics I have show him using a Black Akadema glove.

cordovacollector
07-18-2009, 02:05 AM
Here is the glove. A better match would be ideal I'm sure, but save it to your computer, and you'll notice the lace is not tied if you zoom in on the picture.

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Manny+Ramirez+signs+Los+Angeles+Dodgers+nzzX9RUvUg 7l.jpg

The only one that looks happy to be in that photo is the glove! :(

metsbats
07-18-2009, 07:04 AM
I think it's written into Manny' s contract that his glove always gets its own seat:D Ya Gotta G'love it

Congrats on a great pickup Bobby!

nationals2k9
07-18-2009, 08:27 AM
That is fantastic!!!

gameused
07-19-2009, 02:12 PM
I think it's written into Manny' s contract that his glove always gets its own seat:D Ya Gotta G'love it

Congrats on a great pickup Bobby!

David,

That is hillarious. Thanks to all for your feedback.

Still working on the match. If anyone has pics of Manny with a blue Akadema glove, please post or email to hawaii_five0@yahoo.com

Thanks again, Bobby

stevenp
07-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Does any1 have any fielding gloves 2 sell?

gameused
07-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Finally got around to putting together the photo match. If you look at the middle palm area of the glove, there is a large stain and a couple of smaller stains(Tobacco?)that match the photo of Manny talking to Joe Torre at spring training 2009.

Also, when I hold the glove to the exact angle Manny is holding the glove, everything matches up perfectly, from the laces where Manny's right hand is located, notice they are darker and then appear lighter while coming down to the wrist-pinky area of the glove, on the inside part of the glove-finger area, you can see that the leather is bent or wavy from being broken in, some areas on the inner palm has worn down to a whitish appearance and that matches up nicely.

I spoke with a Akadema employee today and he requested that I email him some photos of the Manny glove. He wrote back saying. "The glove is definitely Manny's and definitely from 2008. We do not make any gloves that say "Manny Ramirez #99" unless they are going directly to Manny. I can't dig into the shipping records, This is definitely game used, and one of the early gloves that we sent to him."

Sorry for the large photo, I'm trying to show as much detail as possible. The smaller photo is the original from Icon Sports Media. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks again for your time,

Bobby

spartakid
07-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Unfortunately this doesn't look like a match to me. There appears to be an extra dark mark inside the pocket near the bottom of the glove in the picture. Also, the laces next to the webbing appear to be much darker than yours. That's not to say that the glove couldn't have gotten more use and wear. Basically it could be the same glove, buy not a match IMO. VERY tough to get a pic that's close enough to photomatch a glove. (I've only seen a couple before.) It's a beautiful glove though, nice pick-up. Ricardo

gameused
07-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Unfortunately this doesn't look like a match to me. There appears to be an extra dark mark inside the pocket near the bottom of the glove in the picture. Also, the laces next to the webbing appear to be much darker than yours. That's not to say that the glove couldn't have gotten more use and wear. Basically it could be the same glove, buy not a match IMO. VERY tough to get a pic that's close enough to photomatch a glove. (I've only seen a couple before.) It's a beautiful glove though, nice pick-up. Ricardo

Ricardo,

Which extra mark are you referring to? Also, the laces on the glove, when I took the glove photo the flash lighten it up a bit.

Thanks, Bobby

grenda12
07-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Congrats on the glove. Im still waiting for one of those to add to my collection.

spartakid
07-21-2009, 12:42 AM
In the picture with Manny, there appears to be a black mark going vertically to the right of the pocket (If the glove were to be held as it would be on a hand) where there's a crease. I could be wrong b but I'm going by the original pic because it's too difficult to tell with the blown up pic. Maybe someone else can chime in, I could certainly be missing something. Ricardo

gameused
07-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Congrats on the glove. Im still waiting for one of those to add to my collection.

Thanks! What player are you looking for?

Bobby

gameused
07-21-2009, 09:27 PM
In the picture with Manny, there appears to be a black mark going vertically to the right of the pocket (If the glove were to be held as it would be on a hand) where there's a crease. I could be wrong b but I'm going by the original pic because it's too difficult to tell with the blown up pic. Maybe someone else can chime in, I could certainly be missing something. Ricardo

Ricardo,

I can't make out the area your referring to. When I hold the glove in the exact same angle as Manny, everything lines up.

Also, what's the odds that another Manny glove would show the same palm stain and the wavy-bent interior glove fingers that match up nicely?

Bobby

Rob L
07-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Bobby, awesome glove!! Just to play devils advocate, I am curious as to how the wrist strap is connected. They are not in the same position in your photo and Manny photo. Has it been reattached?

gameused
07-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Rob,

Thanks! You have a really good eye....the angle of the photo makes the wrist strap appear to be attached differently. Just took these pics and you can see the same area has about a 1 inch space which is correct to the Manny/Torre photo.

Bobby

mwbosoxfan
07-22-2009, 05:06 PM

Bobby,

Congrats on a great pick up. That glove looks awesome. I, like Grenda, do not have a fielding gove in my collection. I would like to add one at some point, but not sure who it might be. Again, way to go on the Manny glove.

John

gameused
07-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Bobby,

Congrats on a great pick up. That glove looks awesome. I, like Grenda, do not have a fielding gove in my collection. I would like to add one at some point, but not sure who it might be. Again, way to go on the Manny glove.

John

John,

Thank you. You have a great game used collection and a glove would be a nice addition. Your game used collection and display room is something any collector would love to have.

Thanks again, Bobby

gameused
08-02-2009, 11:54 PM
I recently ordered a few high resolution photos from AP Images and now have what I think are unquestionable matches to Manny with the Akadema glove.

First photo of Manny shaking hands with Cubs pitcher Carlos Marmol on 9-30-08 prior to game 1 of the NLDS. If you look at the second "9" you can see the loose white thread that matches up nicely.

Second photo of Manny jogging before game 3 of the NLDS on 10-3-08, you can see the dark threads on the H style web all match up, the lower part of the web there is a loose black thread that matches perfectly and again the white thread match on the number 9.

Third photo of Manny prior to game 1 of the NLCS vs Phillies. If you look closely you can see to distinct black scuff marks that match the photo from AP, I know its hard to see in the AP photo, but when I look at the high resolution photo, I can definetly see the two black marks. Also the leather on the glove has some indentations from being broken in that match up.

I have nothing but praise for AP Images and Pictopia who prints and ships out the order. I put in a request for the photos online and they send you an invoice. I did not respond right away and after a few days, I was offered 10% off the total order. Ordered with the 10% discount and the photos were here in a few days, all photos come with a lower border with a caption printed. I got the 8x10 size and they do have larger sizes.

Thanks, Bobby

cordovacollector
08-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Sweet glove! Looks like a match to me.