PDA

View Full Version : Alright, who can top who

d2ray13
05-19-2006, 05:59 PM
With all the pieces out there, and the many readers of GameUsedForum.com, who has the most amazing, significant, unbelievable piece? Whether it is an ARod hr bat, or a Babe Ruth game used jersey, let's hear some!

PGriffin
05-19-2006, 07:09 PM
I have posted photos of these bats on the forum already, but my greatest find ever was 4 game used 1940-50's era bats for $300.00 at an estate auction. This was right before Christmas and couldnt have been a better gift. They didnt know what they had and I dont think anyone else there did either when I walked away with an Mel Ott 016 gamer, as well as a Dom DiMaggio 031 gamer as well. The two other bats were a bat with DURST in block letters, and an Enos Slaughter bat which I traded away. Probably the greatest find I will ever have. These came out of a former players estate, but the auction company did not know whose.

suave1477
05-19-2006, 09:16 PM
2 items I am personally proud of not that they are anything big to anyone else I have a Game Used Yankees 2000 World Series bat ( a peice of history since it was the first subway series in about 50 years ). Also my favorite I have Darryl Strawberrys Very First Game Used Yankee Jersey.

I have tons of other stuff too but my hands will get tired of typing lol lol:D

34swtns
05-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Ok, this will only amuse the NFL guys but here goes.......
Herman Moore Det. Lions game worn home jersey
Neal Anderson Bears game worn home jersey
Dave Moore Bucs game worn home and away jerseys
Larry Moore Colts game worn home and away jerseys
Game used football from Bears-Packers New Soldier Field inaugural game
George Halas signed autobiography

I know, not very impressive but it's a start. :)

d2ray13
05-20-2006, 10:33 PM
I was kinda mad, not a lot of people replied, but oh well. Here goes my shot, like many, I collect Alex, Derek, and a little bit others here and there. But I have invested so much into Alex and Derek, it really is not funny! Here are some amazing items I have:

Alex Rodriguez 2004 "Z" fielder's glove, used in every game

Alex Rodriguez 2005 #1 glove, used in every game

Alex's rookie away jersey

Derek's first ever yankee jersey, an amazing piece. Derek came into the league, into the Yankee's organization, and was a nobody. Therefore, nobody's don't get there own jersey. This was tagged as a b. williams 94 jersey, with the number 7 patch ripped off, (outline still visible), and the black band honoring mantle ripped off (still visible.)

Two of my most amazing pieces is Alex's first ever yankee batting helmet, cracked, after he threw it against a boston series, and his 2005 cracked yankee helmet, where he hit number 400, the amaing game vs. anaheim, and the longest hr in yankee stadium (hr. 34)

Along with dozen's of hr bats from Alex, and gamer's from derek, this collection I have put together is pretty awesome.

I hope to hear more collections!!!

Eric
05-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Derek's first ever yankee jersey, an amazing piece. Derek came into the league, into the Yankee's organization, and was a nobody. Therefore, nobody's don't get there own jersey. This was tagged as a b. williams 94 jersey, with the number 7 patch ripped off, (outline still visible), and the black band honoring mantle ripped off (still visible.)

Nice going. How bout some pics of the Jeter. Sounds museum-worthy

Don't despair- these things take time. Maybe once you post your pics, maybe more people will jump into this thread.

I'll throw in a couple of my gems as well....
Eric

d2ray13
05-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the advice, i will get some pics of the arod batting helmet too, that is pretty amazing as well...

thanks

suave1477
05-21-2006, 12:22 AM
D2RAY13 im curious where did you buy the Jeter jersey from?

d2ray13
05-21-2006, 12:50 AM
from the steiner sports archives!

i have a guy that hooks me up with a bunch of derek's jerseys...

suave1477
05-21-2006, 12:59 AM
d2ray i thought so i was there when you bought it and they were packaging it. Its funny i mentioned you in a past thread about buying that jersey.

kjjavic
05-21-2006, 08:46 AM
My favorite and most valuable piece has to be my Game used painted trophy football given to Ron Jaworski after the 1980 NFC Championship Game. The ball has the jaws's name painted as well as the date, score, eagles and cowboys helmets, and a painted quote saying "A super Eagle going to the SuperBowl.

Some of my other favorite items include:
Jeremiah Trotter game used jersey
Hugh Douglas Game used jersey
Wes Hopkins game used jersey
Clyde Simmons game used jersey
Byron Evans game used jersey

d2ray13
05-21-2006, 11:33 AM
wow, thats pretty cool. Did you see the signature and inscription? I will be sure to get good pictures of that when I post them up, pretty amazing...

suave1477
05-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Actuallly its funny you mention that bcuz thats what they told me that there preparing this jersey to be sent to florida to have Jeter sign it. So I actually saw the jersey before it was signed. What was the inscription that Jeter put on there?

I found the past thread I started months ago about this jersey.

Derek Jeter's first ever yankees jersey!!!!! ( rookie jersey )

Thats the title of the thread look it up

sanook123
07-01-2006, 04:27 AM
hello,

Here goes:

- Alex Rodriguez Rawlings Game used Gold Glove Series w/ autograph and a very nice inscribtion. A perfect "10" Autograph. A-Rod LOA, MEARS, PSA/DNA. :):):)

- Alex Rodriguez 2000 Game used Mariners Home Jersey. MEARS

- Alex Rodriguez NY Yankess Home Jersey w/ A-Rod LOA.

- Pujols Game Used Sam Bat Signed and inscribed. PSA/DNA :D:D:D

- Lebron James Game Used Rookie Jersey. MEARS

Thanks.

Always looking to buy/sell/trade. :cool:

bigtime59
07-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Eric Davis SF Giants black alternate jersey. Could have been worn the night Bonds broke the single-season HR record. Easily photo-matched, but I honestly don't know how many of these jerseys were issued per player.
Willis Otanez Orioles 1999 road jersey. I believe this was worn in the game in Havana against the Cuban national team, but have never been able to find a photo match. It's the only Otanez #1 jersey I've ever seen (he is listed in the 1999 media guide as #52, which he wore in 1998, and wore #24 during the regular season.)
There are others, but you get the idea. Great looking jerseys, of possible historic significance, purchased directly from the teams, that together cost less than a Jeter "game used" Kleenex would. :D

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

suave1477
07-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Bigtime just to correct you, the Eric Davis jersey you have is not photo matching its called photo likeness. Photo matching is when you can match the exact jersey you have to an exact photo or video or something of that nature. An example would be if you see a scuff mark on it and you see the same exact scuff mark on the jersey in the photo. That would be a photo match.

both-teams-played-hard
07-01-2006, 12:12 PM
photo likeness
I know we're talking about Eric Davis Giants alternate...but where is this photo that doesn't "match" ?

The term "likeness" leads one to believe that we're speaking of Eric Davis' twin brother or look-a-like.

astros*bats
07-01-2006, 03:37 PM
That would be a style match. You can match the jerseys to the same style of jersey, but can not exactly photo match the jersey.

bigtime59
07-01-2006, 09:57 PM
More on the Davis jersey:
Davis only played in 74 games in 2001, his final season in the majors. I don't know how many Friday night home games he appeared in, but I do know he played in the game where Bonds broke the single-season HR record, since I watched at least part of the game on TV, and recall seeing Davis playing the field in that game. The jersey shows evidence of light use, and washing. The numbers show minimal puckering, but the Russell jock tag, size and alteration tags show puckering, and the size and alteration tags show some discoloration. The purchased from SF Giants stamp is on the jock tag. So, style match would be easy, exact match would be hard, as the jersey just didn't get that beat up.

metsbats
07-02-2006, 07:01 PM
I may have posted these before but I have 4 GU Gary Carter milestone bats: 900th RBI,1500 hit, 250th hr, 5 home runs in 2 game to tie a major league record. These bats were given to a gentleman by Gary for his support for the Leukemia Society of which Gary is a spokesperson.

Kid4hof03
07-02-2006, 08:51 PM
David,
That 250th home run bat is one of the only items that I've ever sold and regretted afterwards. I'm glad it's in your collection, very impressive!

Abe

metsbats
07-02-2006, 09:16 PM
David,
That 250th home run bat is one of the only items that I've ever sold and regretted afterwards. I'm glad it's in your collection, very impressive!

Abe

Thanks Abe.. I was glad to be able to get this bat and keep most of them in one collection. God Bless you My Friend.

There are actually 2 more milestone bats in existence that I know of which came from the same collector: 32nd homerun (personal high) and 15th and 16th home in 1985 to set break Mets record for catchers.

Anyone have those bats and willing to sell please contact me!

nate
07-03-2006, 01:53 AM
No milestones in my collection but a few favorites.

A Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz bat from the last week of the regular season in 2004. The great part about the Manny bat are the pieces of grass stuck to the pine tar and he signed his full name.

Staying with the Boston theme two chairs from the Boston Garden with Parquet #'s 8 & 9 (Yastzemski and Ted Williams).

nate
07-03-2006, 01:56 AM
Yastrzemski.....missed the "r" at 3 am.

hblakewolf
07-03-2006, 07:26 AM
As most Forum readers know, my focus is on the Philadelphia Phillies. As such, one of my most prized items has to be my Tug McGraw 1980 World Series ring. He had to sell it in 1981 to pay off a huge bet. It is simply AMAZING, and one of the few items I would never consider selling.

A close second is my all original Phillies 1949 Ed Miller jersey and pants. This is an extremely difficult style to find.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

WStiles
07-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Howard - The McGraw ring and Miller uniform are absolutely fantastic! Phillies gu helmets have become my main interest over the last couple of years. One, because I was about 9-10 years old when they started wearing them, so I can associate my interest in baseball starting about that same time. Only collecting these helmets for a relatively short time, I've been collecting more by type than trying to build an extensive numerical collection. To date I have a little over 20 helmets:

A Elmer Valo 60's hat with Valo's helmet insert that fits inside the sweat band.

Both style 60's helmets belonging to Cookie Rojas & Richie Allen

3 styles of 70's helmets, 2 of them of Larry Bowa & Greg Luzinski

80's helmets of Mike Schmidt, Pete Rose, & Steve Carlton

Turn back the Clock helmets of Dale Murphy, Jim Thome, Bobby Abreu, Mickey Morandini, & Dave Hollins

Recent helmets of Scott Rolen, 94 red John Kruk, 94 blue Jim Eisenreich, 911 flag Marlon Anderson, & Red Cross Katrina David Bell

catcher helmets 94 blue Darren Daulton, red Darren Daulton, and a TBC of Steve Lake

Of lesser interest on this board I collect wedge base nodders from the late 60's early 70's and the last set from Japan. A fourteen nodder set 6 are considered impossible to find. I have 4 of the 6 and need 2 to complete the set. The Phillies are one of the six. I have two of them.

I'm always looking to add to or upgrade. If anybody has anything they are interested in moving, please contact me at cshort41@yahoo.com

Thank!
Wayne

EndzoneSports
07-04-2006, 06:59 AM
While maybe not the most valuable or visualy attractive piece in our collection, the one with the most historical value is the single 1960-'61 Denver Broncos gold & brown vertically stripped stocking (see below or 2nd image at URL http://endzone.pscoggin.com/history.htm).

http://endzone.pscoggin.com/60-1sock.jpg

I was able to obtain this indirectly from Larry Fessler, who retired as the managing sports editor for the Buffalo Daily News. He'd received it as a gift in 1962 from, then Broncos' coach, Jack Faulkner. Faulkner who staged the infamous uniform bonfire during the '62 preseason intersquad game, held back a few pair of the socks for give-aways to the media and VIPs; at that time, Fessler was the beat writer for the Buffalo Bills and received one. Having held onto in for nearly 40 years, I was able to add it to our collection.

Regards,

ironmanfan
07-04-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm enjoying this thread...I have quite a number of Orioles Game Used pieces, but I also collect original lineup cards (which include Ripken's consecutive games #1000 & #2500), but the one item that most people who come to see my collection ask specifically to see is the home plate umpire's line-up card from Game # 1 of the 1996 ALCS (the infamous Jeffrey Maier game). It's neat in that on the back, the umpire has noted that the game is being played under protest by the Orioles. I've had Tony Tarasco autograph it and I'm still mulling over whether or not to have Maier sign it as well (or Richie Garcia for that matter). I had read recently that Maier was a decent college baseball player and had hopes of being drafted, but wasn't.

karamaxjoe
07-04-2006, 11:55 AM
My most significant or unusual item is a pair of shorts that Goose Gossage wore during the infamous shorts game with the White Sox on August 8, 1976. I've only seen two other pair in the last ten years and those were in the Hall of Fame and the White Sox Hall of Fame.

Mike

psmachetti
07-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Probably not a big deal to most but for me it's the gem of my small collection. I just purchased and have received a '95 Bob Wickman Yankees pinstripe gamer from Steiner Sports. Best part ? Purchased it for $100. A Yankee home gamer has always been my baseball grail.This one's a keeper!
Paul

stkmtimo
07-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Probably not a big deal to most but for me it's the gem of my small collection. I just purchased and have received a '95 Bob Wickman Yankees pinstripe gamer from Steiner Sports. Best part ? Purchased it for $100. A Yankee home gamer has always been my baseball grail.This one's a keeper!
Paul

Paul - Why was Steiner only asking $100? That's a steal!

Tim

stkmtimo
07-05-2006, 12:09 PM
I have a few more recent items of players I like:

2003 Matt Morris signed game worn Cardinals home jersey which I believe to be from the game he gave up Griffey's 500th HR

2004 Kameron Loe Texas Rangers first ever game worn jersey (MeiGray certs, too)

2003 Michael Young Texas Rangers game used helmet (MeiGray cert)

What I believe to be the largest collection of Doug Davis game worn jerseys (around 10, I think) as well as over 25 autographs of his. He's the #2 starter in the Brewers rotation.

Overall, nothing like a Ty Cobb or Babe Ruth gamer but pieces that are special to me!

Tim

suave1477
07-06-2006, 03:00 PM
More on the Davis jersey:
Davis only played in 74 games in 2001, his final season in the majors. I don't know how many Friday night home games he appeared in, but I do know he played in the game where Bonds broke the single-season HR record, since I watched at least part of the game on TV, and recall seeing Davis playing the field in that game. The jersey shows evidence of light use, and washing. The numbers show minimal puckering, but the Russell jock tag, size and alteration tags show puckering, and the size and alteration tags show some discoloration. The purchased from SF Giants stamp is on the jock tag. So, style match would be easy, exact match would be hard, as the jersey just didn't get that beat up.

Well here is something interesting VintageAuthentics claims to have your jersey too!!!!

How many 2001 Game Used alternates of a Limited season can be out there??????????

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=70044318&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=70391028

bigtime59
07-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Well here is something interesting VintageAuthentics claims to have your jersey too!!!!

How many 2001 Game Used alternates of a Limited season can be out there??????????

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=70044318&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=70391028

The jersey on Vintage is the road alternate. I have the home alternate. Interestingly enough, unlike their jersey, mine is a size 44, w/ no extra body length, but with extra sleeve length. The purchased from the giants stamp is right there on the jock tag of my jersey, too...hmmmmm.

rose14
07-11-2006, 04:21 PM
I own the first ever jersey that Vladimir Guerrero wore as a professional player in the United States. The jersey is from 1994 when he was with the Gulf Coast Expos in the Rookie League. I have a letter from the team documenting the jersey as well as pictures with him wearing it. I am also now proud to say that I have Guerrero's first two professional jerseys as I just picked up his 1995 Albany Polecats gameused jersey. I am now looking for his 1996 Harrisburg Senators game used jersey as well as his 1996/1997 West Palm Beach Expos jersey to complete the collection.

thomecollector
07-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Probably not one of the most exciting items on here. But, when I heard you talking about the '95 Wickman jersey. I had to jump in. About 8 years
ago, I made a trade with a fellow Thome collector. I traded 3 Thome game used bats for one of his '95 World Series jerseys. It is the white home one. It has the Russell diamond collection tag Size 46 , with the '95 year tag, along with 100% poly tag sewn between. It's cool because they attached the World Series patch over the Jacobs Field patch on the right sleeve. I also have a '95 Worth gamer . I have only seen two. The other one was cracked. I'd post pictures of each. But I'm not sure how.:D